Re: R7000 keeps losing access to my network Printer

magnum442
Aspirant

Noticed something that may shed some light. I don't think its specific to wifi printers. I have 4 IP cameras (Trendnet). 1 is wired and the other 3 are wifi. All 3 wifi connected cameras also become inaccessible every 3 days or so, while the wired camera is fine. None of my android phones/tablets or wifi connected PCs seem to have any problems though.
Message 26 of 53
StevenSiew
Aspirant

magnum442 wrote:
Noticed something that may shed some light. I don't think its specific to wifi printers. I have 4 IP cameras (Trendnet). 1 is wired and the other 3 are wifi. All 3 wifi connected cameras also become inaccessible every 3 days or so, while the wired camera is fine. None of my android phones/tablets or wifi connected PCs seem to have any problems though.

As i have mentioned before, communications from devices on the wired network to devices on the 2.4 Ghz wifi network will fail after some time (3 days in your case).

The cause of the failure is unknown but I suspect that networking data on the R7000 is being either lost or destroyed by some process that overwrites memory in the R7000 system.
Message 27 of 53
madhatter
Apprentice

magnum442 wrote:
Update: Problem recurred. Updated FW again and backup/reset/restore settings again. 3 days later, problem recurred again. Netgear support now asking for my topology and a copy of my config file - sent. I'm going to make a long cat5e cable and try direct wire to see if that helps meanwhile.

I really hate to do this since this puppy is only 3 month old, but what about 3P firmware?Any experience with these on the R7000? In my old Linksys "G" router, I had good luck with dd-wrt.

just for snicks, try this:
1. save your current configuration file. call it saved1
2. reset router to default settings
3. reinstall the firmware you are currently using
4. restore your configuration file (saved1)
5. save your new configuration file. call it saved2
6. repeat step 2 and step 3. again
7. restore the configuration file called saved2

let us know if this works. I tried it on my r6300 and it solved a bunch of problems
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 28 of 53
magnum442
Aspirant

Interesting theory. Could be. Come to think of it all my wireless "sources" like PCs and tablets, seem to be fine, no problems so far. While if the wireless is a target like an IP camera or printer, it dies after 3 days. I did inform the Netgear folks handling my case of the camera bit as well. They asked me to hard wire the printer, which I just did. Now to wait a few more days to see if a change. Hard wiring all my cameras is impossible though as they are in places where getting a wire to would be very difficult, if not impossible.

Interesting suggestion from madhatter on the reset, restore thing. I may try that the next time the cameras go down.

And partymonkey as another possibility. The router is set for channel 11 but I did observe its taking up multiple channels, which does overlap others in the neighborhood. Perhaps I can set 2.4 Ghz to slow down from 600 Mbps, to perhaps 289 the theory being that the cameras and printer cant do the higher speeds well. Would be a bummer to compromise speed though. Rather goes against the reason of spending premium bucks buying the darn thing.

But at least I have a few action plans to try, one by one now. Thanks for the tips and I will of course keep you all advised.

Any consideration to the new Linksys products as an eventual alternative? I had great success with my trusty 54g for years.
Message 29 of 53
madhatter
Apprentice

magnum442 wrote:

Interesting suggestion from madhatter on the reset, restore thing. I may try that the next time the cameras go down.

a couple more things

You may be losing the DNS. You can try this:

the dns issue is, at a minimum, a problem that is widely reported by Netgear users. This is what I did and it seems to have worked.

1. on the affected machines run ipconfig /flushdns it doesn't affect operations on the machine.

2. in the router internet settings specify Google DNS for primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4

3. return IPV4 settings on affected machines to their normal settings, for example obtain IP and DNS automatically, unless you are using a static IP. Turn off the affected machines

4. when the router has rebooted, power it off, power the cable modem off.

5. turn on cable modem, wait for it to completely restart, turn on the router and let it completely reboot. Turn on the affected machines.

also, verify LONG PREAMBLE, 2.4GHz up to 217Mbps
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 30 of 53
StevenSiew
Aspirant

New Firmware is out.

You may want to try it to see if it fixes your problem with your printer.

Please post to this thread to let us know what your experience with the new firmware is. Success or Failure, we like to hear about it from you. Also let us know how long have the new firmware been running. hours? days?
Message 31 of 53
magnum442
Aspirant

Tech support told me about the new firmware. Tried it but it didn't fix it. 3 days after the new firmware was loaded ( and I did the whole save, erase, then restore thing too), the problem was back. But I did poke around a bout and confirm that I see what others have posted here. When it happens, wired source PCs cant communicate with target like printers and cameras that are wifi connected, but communicate with direct connected cameras and printers fine. But I can still access these cameras from the internet with my phone and my wifi connected PCs can still communicate with the cameras. The wifi connected PCs can also access the direct connected cameras and printers. So it has something to do with a source on wired and target on wifi. I shared all this with tech support too and they commented that it was "weird". No arguing that ! Its also weird that 3 days seems to be a magic number. I've never seen the problem before 3 days and its never gotten to the 4th day.
Message 32 of 53
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

I have Canon wireless camera, several bluray players that connect wirelessly and stream Netflix, Apple devices including Apple TV, and one networked shared Canon MX892 printer.

Stuff connected on both 2.4 and 5 ghz channels.

I do not drop any clients, any connections, etc.

When you say you can connect directly to your wireless clients I wonder how you are configured. I do not connect directly to any device. I go through the router to connect to them. Are you using ad-hoc mode instead of infrastructure?
Message 33 of 53
rdh91007
Guide

You said you restored settings. This appears to be a source of many problems after updating firmware. Try the following: Write down your settings. Do a hard reset by holding down the reset button for more than 7 seconds. Reinstall the 3.68 Firmware. Do another Hard reset. Manually input your settings. Let us know how it is working.
Message 34 of 53
berny822
Aspirant

Same issue here with two HP printers
Message 35 of 53
1eyedjack
Aspirant

I had the same problem with a Brother DCP-W525J.

I solved it (for me) by defining a static IP address in the config of both the router and the printer. Not had a problem, touch wood, since 08 Sep.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=92899
Message 36 of 53
gamotter
Aspirant

Netgear, could you please comment on this? This was not fixed with the last firmware, although it does seem to have gotten better.

I've probably spend 8 hours now trying to fix this thing.

This was a very expensive router and very frustrating that it is still not working.
Message 37 of 53
pcfarrar
Tutor

I have the same problem, it doesn't just affect printers. It stops communication between WiFi clients directly.

Installed kong's dd-wrt firmware and not had a problem since.
Message 38 of 53
magnum442
Aspirant

Havent been here in a while so providing an update. Problem still occurring. Still have to reboot after 3 days. Tech support still unable to resolve after I gave them everything they ask and everything they wanted me to do. Currently on a Beta release 1.0.3.69_20140826_wl_nas_dbg_fw that didn't fix it either. "so" frustrated.

True to form of StevenSiew's theories, the more time goes on , the more its apparent its a problem crossing between wifi and wired side. And thats in "either direction". I have wired pcs that cant access wireless printers and cameras and wireless pcs that cant access wired printers. And of course, a reboot fixes everything ---- for 3 days.

Going to give tech support a little more time but I am long beyond being able to return it to Best Buy, and if I hadn't opened the call earlier, now beyond when I can could tech support for help.

Interesting possibilities going to dd-wrt. I really loved that code on my old classis Linksys wrt-g routers. I'd like to hear more from folks that tried it on the R7000. Can I go back to stock Netgear FW afterwards if I need or want to if I go with dd-wrt?
Message 39 of 53
RogerSC
Virtuoso

magnum442 wrote:

Interesting possibilities going to dd-wrt. I really loved that code on my old classis Linksys wrt-g routers. I'd like to hear more from folks that tried it on the R7000. Can I go back to stock Netgear FW afterwards if I need or want to if I go with dd-wrt?

Yes, you can easily go back and forth between stock firmware and dd-wrt, and vice-versa. I'm using a stock Beta version at the moment, and have used many versions of dd-wrt, tomato, and the stock firmware. You just need to be sure that you know what you're doing before you do it *smile*.
Message 40 of 53
bww
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am thinking of getting the R7000 but this problem is holding me back. As of right now is it still a problem?
Problem:After 3 days wired laptop loses ability to print to wireless printer until rebooted.
I have an HP 1102 and don't want to reboot every 3 days.
Thank You
Message 41 of 53
btv94
Aspirant

I bought this router 2 weeks ago and everything was working fine including USB network printing. Today i try to print and doesn't work anymore. I still 9 weeks to return this router. Hopefully there is a fix before too late to return.
Message 42 of 53
sir_bazz
Guide

I have the HP 1102w and initially had a lot of issues with disconnects due to the R7000. I'm now over 100 days of up time and haven't had to reboot the router or printer in nearly 4 months. Same goes for my WDTV Live Hub which was also experiencing regular wireless disconnects.
Message 43 of 53
magnum442
Aspirant

Yah, still a problem. Support has me running debug code but now having lock-up problems that keep me from getting to 3days Smiley Sad
Message 44 of 53

Hello,

I've been using this product (R7000) for a year and this problem (losing access to my USB printer) is still happening.:mad:

I'm using V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 now, but all kinds of versions were installed before, without success.:confused:
Message 45 of 53
btv94
Aspirant

I was talking to customer support for 45 mins last night and still having the same problem. I was told that I need to clear the firewall from one of my 4 desktop pc block the printer. I figure that he couldn't resolve the problem that's why he ask me to fix firewall problem and call him back. I have about 8 weeks to return this router. Anyone have any suggestion which router would not have problem with USB network printer ?
Message 46 of 53
jws9500
Aspirant

I had a similar issue for several months with my HP printer.. I was given .81 and it seems to be stable for the Printer... Maybe you can get that to try.
Message 47 of 53
bdenton42
Aspirant

guilhermeofranco wrote:
I'm using V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 now, but all kinds of versions were installed before, without success.:confused:

I have had the same issue with every firmware as well.

Tried DD-WRT for a while which fixes the problem but has other stability issues.

Two weeks ago I found out about V1.0.4.4_1.1.37 and loaded it and so far have not had any problems. Might be worth a try if it is still around somewhere.
Message 48 of 53
bobcageon
Guide

I'm on the latest firmware, after doing a complete restore to default (like 2x) & re-flashed clean with a clean setup config to avoid any possibility of corrupt data.

I switched to wired using a switch. But I noticed that sometimes, DHCP would change the port settings & assign a different port. So I switched the port in windows settings & it seems to be fine. Funny that I can print from my tablets, as well, via wireless. Just another suggestion to toss around.

Seems to be running ok, but I still get some "busy" hangs with this firmware for a few secs no and again.
Message 49 of 53
BigWorm
Aspirant

Guys, I had the same problem with my Canon MX922 printer. When the printer would go into sleep mode It would automatically lose the connection with my R7000 router. I started searching the internet to find a solution...and I finally did. My printer has a setting called "Wireless Lan DRX"...all I did was set it to "Disable" (it was Enabled from factory) and everything works like a charm now...no problems. This DRX setting has something to do with power management and I guess the router didn't like this causing it to "kick it off" the network..

Everything works like a charm now. Smiley Happy

Good Luck
BGW
Message 50 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements