R7000 keeps losing access to my network Printer

magnum442
Aspirant

R7000 keeps losing access to my network Printer

I am happy with speed but.....
Have a nagging issue with wireless connectivity with my HP Officejet Pro 8600. Works OK at first but after 3 days or so, can no longer communicate with it. Reboot PC and printer doesnt work. Only rebooting the router fixes it. For another 3 days or so that is, then its back. Netgear support has been stringing me along for weeks on this but still no relief. Tried using static IP and reservation on the printer, upgrading to Firmware Version 1.0.3.60_1.1.27, router reset to defaults then restore, changed a half dozen settings around MTU size and such all under direction of support - no dice.

A general google search seems to suggest this is a known problem. Any tips?
Message 1 of 53
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 keeps losing access to my network Printer

I would look power management options in the hp printer not go sleep and also setup static IP on printer itself
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 53
Bigcid10
Guide

I have an 8600 also and I have the same issues
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

16GB(4X4GB) GSKILL RIPJAWS4 DDR4 2400

Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5

BenQ XL2720Z

2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS

corsair 800D

Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 3 of 53

Magnum,
I have this exact set up.

R7000 running 1.0.3.056
HP8600 Pro Plus F/W CLP1CN1416AR
Webserver / ePrint enabled
Webscan is enabled
Wireless Direct (Printing) Off
Energy Save Mode > Settings Tab 10min

Connected to 2.4Ghz radio
Channel 11 Up to 600 Mbps
WPA2-PSK [AES]
Win7 x64 Ult

I use address reservation via the printer's MAC which is outside my DHCP pool.

I don't have a static IP set on the printer, but June's suggestion may indeed help in your case.

If you have made any changes to the firewall rules (printer's webserver), I'd reset those to defaults.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 4 of 53
StevenSiew
Aspirant

I have the same issue with Netgear R7000 and my Canon MP620 wifi printer. Luckily for me I still have my old dlink router.

I notice that I did not have the problem when using my dlink router.

Now after a bit of thinking I realise that issue is this

Canon MP620 printer is connected to the 2.4GHZ wifi on the R7000
The computer is connected to the LAN on the R7000

The problem seems to be that computer on LAN cannot communicate with printer on 2.4 GHZ wifi
but laptop on 2.4 GHZ wifi can communicate with printer on 2.4 GHZ wifi

Therefore I hypothesise that the problem is packets from the LAN is unable to bridge to the 2.4 GHZ wifi.

My solution is to use my old dlink router as an ACCESS POINT and connect my dlink router to the LAN of the R7000

My Canon MP620 printer connect to the dlink router using the 2.4 GHZ wifi with a different ssid

Now my Canon MP620 printer is on the LAN of the R7000 via the dlink Access Point. From this point onwards I have no problem printing to the printer from my computer on the LAN of the R7000.

I hope my solution is of some use to you.

Thank you
Message 5 of 53
partymonkey
Aspirant

I had this exact issue, and got fed up with it and Netgear decided to RMA my router. I just received the replacement yesterday, and I have to try this again.

In the mean time, I ended up buying a much less expensive (yet less range) TP-Link, and bingo, no problems whatsoever. We'll see if the replacement device works properly or if this continues to be a firmware/design issue.

My setup was two printers on the 2.4ghz range, computer on the LAN port, etc.

What I noticed is that most of the devices on the 2.4ghz range would lose their proper ARP binding over time. I'm assuming this because when you looked at the router's attached devices page, I could see Mac addresses bound to IP addresses on all physical ports (I use a couple of switches to extend the ports), I could see that the 5ghz devices usually maintained their mac addr and ip bindings, but the 2.4ghz devices (which happened to be my printers and other stuff), would over time stop display the mac to ip binding and just display either the ip or the mac, I can't remember which one right now.

So it seems, in my limited understanding, that the router I had had switch problems, despite updating the firmware to the latest one. Since Netgear RMAd mine, I need to set it up again and get this all going so that I can report if the problem went away or not.

The workaround StevenSiew applied proves out that the issue is on the wireless 2.4 feature, (and possibly the 5ghz but I can't confirm that one). In my case, never did any of the LAN-connected devices "lose connectivity".
Message 6 of 53
gerick
Aspirant

I have an HP OfficeJet L7590 also and I have the same issues (using static IP).
Message 7 of 53
sir_bazz
Guide

Had this same issue with a HP 1102W but it seems to have resolved itself, (touch wood).

For the first time I'm over 8 days of uptime and the printer, (and my WDTV Live Hub which also had the same issue), are both still connected and running well.

Not quite sure what may have caused things to become more stable, (made quite a few changes and reverted them over the past 2-3 weeks), but afaik the only real difference in settings between then and now is using auto channel selection for 2.4ghz.

Are you guys using manually selecting the 2.4ghz channel?
Message 8 of 53
StevenSiew
Aspirant

magnum442 wrote:
I am happy with speed but.....
Have a nagging issue with wireless connectivity with my HP Officejet Pro 8600. Works OK at first but after 3 days or so, can no longer communicate with it. Reboot PC and printer doesnt work. Only rebooting the router fixes it. For another 3 days or so that is, then its back. Netgear support has been stringing me along for weeks on this but still no relief. Tried using static IP and reservation on the printer, upgrading to Firmware Version 1.0.3.60_1.1.27, router reset to defaults then restore, changed a half dozen settings around MTU size and such all under direction of support - no dice.

A general google search seems to suggest this is a known problem. Any tips?

Hi Magnum442,

It maybe that what partymonkey said is true that devices on the 2.4 GHZ wifi network would loses their ARP binding over time. This would mean your PC on the LAN is unable to route packets to the Network Printer on the 2.4 GHZ wifi network.

Your options (I think) are as follows.

Option 1. Raise a ticket with NetGear Support. Hope that NetGear would put out a new firmware version that addresses the lose of ARP for devices on the 2.4 GHZ wifi network.

pro: This fixes the issue for EVERYONE

con: This could takes months or 1 year plus

Option 2. Configure your network printer to use the 5.0 GHZ wifi network instead.

pro: This is untested on my setup and I have no idea if this would work. On the otherhand, I believe that it would work.

con: You need to set up your Network Printer again.

Option 3. Get an old wifi router and set the old router as an ACCESS POINT for your network printer.

pro: This is known to work (on my setup).

con: This requires an additional wifi router and you need to set up an ACCESS POINT. Not difficult but does consume some time and research effort.

So anyway, I hope this is of some use to you. Please tell us which option you chose and definately let us know how you go. We want to know if you are successful or not, we want you to share your experience with us.

Thank you
Message 9 of 53
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

The problem seems to be that computer on LAN cannot communicate with printer on 2.4 GHZ wifi
but laptop on 2.4 GHZ wifi can communicate with printer on 2.4 GHZ wifi

StevenSiew, Wireless Isolation feature can stop communicate between wired and wireless so you may wan to look at since you said old DLINK works fine.:)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 53
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I was looking at manual on R7000 about wireless isolation and didn't see it unless I missed so if you don't see then ARP dropping you mentioned could be part of it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 53
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear has known about this issue since February. I provided them with several packet captures of strange ARP behavior, malformed ethernet frames, and other items related to wireless and wired devices losing connectivity.

At this point, I wouldn't be confident that putting in a ticket will do anything and I wouldn't bank on them being able to fix it via firmware.
Message 12 of 53
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Now that R8000 is out.. They must run away from it .. 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 53
Bigcid10
Guide

my 8600 loses it's connection with the network only thing is mine is wired
because I gave up with the wireless connection
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

16GB(4X4GB) GSKILL RIPJAWS4 DDR4 2400

Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5

BenQ XL2720Z

2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS

corsair 800D

Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 14 of 53
StevenSiew
Aspirant

I think this is some kind of memory corruption or out of memory issue because the R7000 works properly for the first 60 minutes after you power off and power on the R7000 router.
Message 15 of 53
Nighthawk803
Aspirant

My HP wireless printer also would not work after awhile (HP Officejet 6600). I changed the 2.4 GHZ channel from auto to channel 11. I selected channel 11 because this channel was not being used by any other neighbors. This resolved my issue.

Good luck!
Message 16 of 53
gerick
Aspirant

gerick wrote:
I have an HP OfficeJet L7590 also and I have the same issues (using static IP).

Bigcid10 wrote:
my 8600 loses it's connection with the network only thing is mine is wired
because I gave up with the wireless connection

Mine is wired also. Wired with static IP. Connection constantly drops and reconnects. I tried different ports and different cables.
Message 17 of 53
magnum442
Aspirant

Thanks for the tips. I already had set static IP on the printer and had tried different 2.4G channels to no avail. The printer doesn't do 5G so cant try that. Netgear RMAed the router and I'd installed that 3 days ago (it had older firmware). The problem is back with the new router. I just asked them for next steps like updating to latest FW, and anything else they can think of. I haven't tried a direct connection to the printer but that's possible as the printer is close enough to run a cat5e cable to it.
The printer does go to sleep and it cant be disabled, longest time I can set is 15 min. What so annoying is that it takes 3 days to recur after each router reboot.
Message 18 of 53
StevenSiew
Aspirant

Dude,

For all the problems that you are having with NetGear R7000, spending a couple of bucks buying a long Ethernet cable to connect your printer directly into R7000 would be the cheapest option to fix your problem.

Remember your time is money. Your time is your life. Your life ain't cheap.

Steven Siew
Message 19 of 53
rdh91007
Guide

Moving the printer to a wired connection helped me narrow down the problem.

Here is what is happening. The configuration is printer wired to the network with static IP. Client is connected wirelessly. Everything works fine for a while, a week or so later then nada.

Rebooting the client does not solve the problem.

Rebooting the R7000 solves the problem for a week or so, then printing fails from the wireless client. Wired clients have no problems.

This is a classic case of a memory leak.

I am about ready to stop hoping that Netgear is going to get this and all the other problems fixed.
Message 20 of 53
sir_bazz
Guide

I'm not convinced it's a memory leak but saying that I have no idea what the root cause is either.

Had the same issue as most posters in this thread with a wireless printer that would never stay connected for more than a week. Only thing that would resolve the issue was rebooting the router. This persisted with every firmware from the originally shipped firmware through to .61 QA, (and all of the available betas in between).

Finally bit the bullet after some 6 months of ownership and tried one of the open source firmwares which had a reputation of solid wireless performance and for the first time the router managed to go over a week without requiring a reboot Problem solved!

Thing is though, I ended up spending way too much of my spare time tinkering will all the optional modules that were available for this particular open firmware so decided to go back to the simplicity of the netgear OEM firmware, ( 61 QA).

Currently have 17 days of up time and everything still connected and working well including the HP 1102w and my wirelessly connected, (and also previously problematic), WDTV LiveHub.

Can't explain it but the same hardware and back on the same firmware just now with all wireless connectivity issues gone, (touch wood). :confused:
Message 21 of 53
magnum442
Aspirant

Update: Problem recurred. Updated FW again and backup/reset/restore settings again. 3 days later, problem recurred again. Netgear support now asking for my topology and a copy of my config file - sent. I'm going to make a long cat5e cable and try direct wire to see if that helps meanwhile.

I really hate to do this since this puppy is only 3 month old, but what about 3P firmware?Any experience with these on the R7000? In my old Linksys "G" router, I had good luck with dd-wrt.
Message 22 of 53
partymonkey
Aspirant

magnum442, out of curiosity, what brand printer do you have?

I had the same type of problem. Netgear replaced my router, just like they did with you. My replacement router came with older firmware (V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 ) and I did not update it. The other thing I did is I selected a specific 2.4 channel instead of Auto, which it sounds like you did.
Add to that equation that I have two printers, one of which I had to replace during the rma cycle for reasons that have nothing to do w/ this, but the other one is the same. Currently have an Epson Workforce and an HP Deskjet, both wireless, Before the epson I had a Lexmark Pinnacle also wireless.

I haven't had another issue since I installed the replacement router as stated above.

This issue is truly so puzzling that it's so frustrating when you have it. And yes, although there are workarounds like run a cable, I don't expect a 200+ USD device to have you deal with that. It needs to just work, much like the 50 USD device that I temporarily used while rmaing, no issues whatsover with it.

Hey, all is good for me know....knocking on wood. But not sure what to tell you. might it really be too much interference on the 2.4?

Cheers.
Message 23 of 53
magnum442
Aspirant

Its an HP officejet 8600. And you are right, it only does 2.4. But I'm pretty sure that's not the problem because its only 10 feet from the router and I have taken great care to select a channel nobody is using nearby (channel 11). I used Netstumbler to scan my area.
Message 24 of 53
partymonkey
Aspirant

One of my printers was about 8 ft from the Router. BTW, unfortunately the 2.4 channel is used for so many things, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves, wireless speakers, bluetooth, game controllers, etc, that it may even get thrown off by any of those instead.
(Then there's the whole 20mhz/40mhz channel width issue, and these routers come by default with coexistence on those modes which is supposed to help, but maybe it hurts it in some cases, you may want to try turning it off in advanced wireless settings).

I've been very happy with the replacement router I received, and really the only things I don't have the same are: firmware that is one version behind, channel 11 instead of Auto, an Epson instead of Lexmark printer, and I don't have the Guest wireless turn on (I just realized that).

Good luck.

magnum442 wrote:
Its an HP officejet 8600. And you are right, it only does 2.4. But I'm pretty sure that's not the problem because its only 10 feet from the router and I have taken great care to select a channel nobody is using nearby (channel 11). I used Netstumbler to scan my area.
Message 25 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E