Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 keeps losing internet connectivity - firmware V1.0.11.116_10.2.100

jerlenaz
Tutor

R7000 keeps losing internet connectivity - firmware V1.0.11.116_10.2.100

I keep losing Internet Connectivity (when either connected to router via WiFi or LAN/Ethernet Cable).  I was having this trouble prior to upgrading the latest firmware, but now seems to be happening more often with the newest firmware (V1.0.11.116_10.2.100).  I've tried multiple setting and configurations, but even though everything on the router seems to be working properly (i.e., led lights, etc.), I cannot connect to the Internet at all and have to resort to unplugging and plugging the router back in.

Is anyone having this same problem? In looking at other posts in the community, it seems that this is a constant issue with Nighthawk Routers.  I've had this one for about 2 years and don't feel like ordering new WiFi routers every two years (and certainly don't want to upgrade to a mesh network from Netgear if they are going to have the same problem), so looking for other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

what modem is it connected to? 

Do both wifi and wired have issues at the same time? 

Something to keep in mind is the r7000 has been a firmware problem child for a while if you read the forums. 

The agreed upon stable firmware for the r7000 is 1.9.0.42

I'd try installing it over a hardwired connect, doing a factory reset, and then a clean install. By clean I mean don't use a backup configuration. Disable auto-updates

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Something to keep in mind is the r7000 has been a firmware problem child for a while if you read the forums. 

I'd try installing it over a hardwired connect, doing a factory reset, and then a clean install. By clean I mean don't use a backup configuration. Disable auto-updates

Message 2 of 8
jerlenaz
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

1) It is connected to a Netgear CM1200 - just bought that about 1 year ago and recently had Cox technician come out and fix some upstream issues

2) Yes, the internet loses connectivity both with WiFi and Ethernet.  I can connect to the router, but the router seems to lose connectivity to the internet and I have to reboot/power cycle the router to fix

3) Yes, I have read that the r7000 firmware has been a problem child, so thank you for your suggestion on the stable firmware.  I will try your suggestion and see if that provides a more stable connection.

Message 3 of 8
LoreeSelmer
Guide

Another data point here, I have been having very similar problems with my R7000/AC1900, also at V1.0.11.116_10.2.100. I am using it in AP mode with a direct cabled connection from WAN port to a Frontier FiOS router. I will periodically lose connectivity for both wireless and wired connections. Sometimes it comes back after a mintue or two, sometimes I have to cycle power to the R7000. Amazingly the problem just occured while typing this message, my cabled internet connection through the R7000 went away for a couple minutes and came back with no intervention. When connections are lost I observe no loss in wired or wireless connectivity through the Frontier FiOS router, so I am quite sure the problem is in the R7000.

Sometimes it will go for a week or more without seeing this, sometimes it happens multiple times per day. It occurred yesterday and did not come back. After cycling power I was unable to connect wirelessly, the cabled connection was only partially working with most DNS requests not resolving, and I was unable to use my normal admin login. Yikes! On further investigation I found that the R7000 had somehow managed to automatically do a factory reset, I certainly did not do this myself. I was back at the default wireless password and had to go through the process of setting up admin access for the first time and recreating my router configuration. I got all the usual first time use prompts for registration and using the Netgear app. The firmware did not revert, it was still at V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.

I believe there is a typo in other posts here, and the previous version suggested would be V1.0.9.42. Relative to V1.0.11.116 this takes us back seven releases! There are a number of security fixes between now and then and one or more of those interim releases came strongly recommended by Netgear. Having to choose between security and stability is unfortunate to say the least, and I am very reluctant to revert to V1.0.9.42.

I am struggling with the notion that these crashes really are a firmware problem and not the result of an intermittent semiconductor fault, a power supply problem or some other hardware issue. If it really is firmware it should be a very commonly observed issue, and a hefty percentage of R7000 users all over should be seeing it and demanding a fix.

Given that my options with the R7000 are to either revert to an old firmware release with known security issues or live with the instability and hope that I am blessed with a stable release in the near future, I am going to retire my R7000 and try another router. This is really my only good option if the problems I have are actually hardware related.

Message 4 of 8
jerlenaz
Tutor

@LoreeSelmer Thanks for the other information.  I appreciate your point on reverting back 7 versions of Firmware (and agree, that if this were a firmware issue, other people would be having the same issue).  Mine was stable for a couple of weeks, after I completely power cycled it AFTER doing a factory reset, but after going away for the weekend, I came back and have started having the same problems.  Unfortunately, I'm at the point where I may be switching to a Google Wifi Mesh.  I might keep the Netgear for any work that I do that will need the greater options, but with everything connected now (i.e., lightbulbs, TV, thermostat, etc.), I just can't have the WiFi connection drop out all of the time. Dissappointing the Netgear isn't really supporting on responding to these concerns.

Message 5 of 8
LoreeSelmer
Guide

@jerlenaz Yes to all of that! I suspect Netgear would be a lot more responsive if this were a very widespread issue, and the other fact here is that the R7000 is getting a bit long in the tooth as this kind of product goes.

When you had a couple good weeks but then started seeing stability problems again, were you still running V1.0.11.116 or had you dropped back to V1.0.9.42?

Since I have ordered a replacement, when I get it installed I am going to try DD-WRT on my R7000. It looks like there is canned support and pre-built images for the R7000, it will be interesting to see how it works and in particular if it restores stability. Security vulnerabilities of course depend on someone maintaining and updating the firmware, it will take some digging to figure out where any particular DD-WRT firmware version for a specific router really is. One of the advantages of Netgear factory releases is that they do actively attempt to patch known exploits as they're discovered in supported products.

Message 6 of 8
jerlenaz
Tutor

@LoreeSelmer
"When you had a couple good weeks but then started seeing stability problems again, were you still running V1.0.11.116 or had you dropped back to V1.0.9.42?"
No, I kept it at V1.0.11.116.

It seems when there is a power outage or when the Cable Modem reboots out updates is when the R7000 loses connectivity (but still of the notification lights show everything is working fine.) But I haven't really done any exact experimentation on that, is just my hunch.

I've looked at upgrading the R7000, but I'd like to think these products would last more than 18mos-2 years with firmware upgrade. With the price points being so close to the mesh Wifi, is difficult for me to choose between the extended coverage but not as many settings. Let me know how the new router works for you.

Message 7 of 8
LoreeSelmer
Guide

I picked up a Netgear XR500, just finished setting it up. So far so good, we'll see how stable it seems to be over the coming weeks and months. You are right, in the absence of a hardware issue these devices not be unstable after a couple years.

When I first got into the XR500 to set it up there were lots of interesting traffic monitoring options and displays among other things, you can find various DUMAOS screen shots, very slick. After configuring and updating to the most recent firmware, the only option I have in the leftmost panel is Settings! I don't know if this is normal for AP mode or somehow related to the firmware update, I've asked Netgear support.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7