Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 latest Firmware update

vb85
Aspirant

R7000 latest Firmware update

Hi all,just joined and am new to the forums.

Have had my router a few years and have always updated the firmware after I recieived email from Netgear by going into the router settings on my desktop browser and clicking on check for firmware update then it would do it automatically.

My current firmware is listed as 

V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

I recently received an update email around Christmas and when I went checked for firmware update it said my firmware is up to date.

When I went to the netgear website it said the latest firmware version for my model was V1.0.11.110,and it had a link to download it and install manually. The odd part was I looked at an update email from August and it listed the version as V1.0.11.106 and I'm pretty sure I did the update at that time but I didn't really pay attention to the version number after the update.

Also the email I received at Chrismas didn't have a firmware version listed,it did have a link for "Learn how to update here" and when I clicked on it I ended up on a page on how to update with the Nighthawk app which I don't have.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm not really sure what to do here,should I manually update to V1.0.11.110,or just leave things as they are now ? Also I would think that my firmware version should be showing as V1.0.11.106 which was the version listed in the email at the time of my last update,instead of showing the V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 as the current installed version.

Very confused here,thanks in advance for any help.

vb85

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

For some reason the auto-update is stuck on the .88 version. 

You can manually update if you choose. If you do, I'd do it over a hardwired connection and not using the app or over wifi. Those are where we see the most issues with corrupt firmware. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

With the R7000, firmware has been an issue for a while. Many times I tell people "if its working, leave it alone", because its had so many issues with firmware changes. 

Message 2 of 27
vb85
Aspirant

Thanks for the info piemans. My router is plugged into my modem and my desktop is connected to router by ethernet cable so I'm guessing that should qualify as doing it by hardwired connection. I'll try it later tonight after family members are done for the night in case anything goes wrong !!

vb85

Message 3 of 27
vostro
Aspirant

V1.0.11.116 was released days ago, anybody tried? 110 was problematc. so far only 42 is stable.

Message 4 of 27
vb85
Aspirant

I'm seeing V1.0.11.116 on there now too,wasn't up there last time I looked. Anyone know how long ago V1.0.9.88 was released ?

Although it's mentioned that it's a stable version with all the hacks etc you keep hearing about I'd rather have something more recent if it's older.

vb85

Message 5 of 27

@vb85 wrote:

Anyone know how long ago V1.0.9.88 was released ?

Did you read the release notes? They usually have a date on the bottom.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 6 of 27
DoctorX
Guide

I installed v1.0.11.116 two days ago.  It seems to be as stable as the last few releases for me.  Your results may vary.  The good news is the Disney Circle popup no longer happens on each login to the router.  Unfortunately, now there's a banner pushing the Netgear App that appears across the top of the page.

Please do not listen to those recommending old, more stable version of the firmware.  The older firmware might be more stable, but your security is jeopardized if you don't install the latest release with the latest security patches.

Message 7 of 27
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward @DoctorX @vostro 

Well I've not looked at the forum for a week or so, but as this thread has revealed, v.116 has been released and so I'll be updating after this post.

Interesting to see that when logged into the browser GUI, the check update firmware still doesn't work. It states it's connecting to the Netgear server and then comes back with no new firmware available. Same on the Nighthawk App. It's ridiculous that Netgear can't even sort this out.

As with the previously released firmware versions, I've had no problems with the day to day operation of the router and so I hope it continues with this latest release. I also concur about not downgrading to 3 year old firmware versions. That to me just doesn't make any sense from a security perspective. Clearly, if the latest firmware versions aren't working for some router owners, then that indicates either a problem with the router, environmental problems, problems with ISP's or corrupted/failed firmware uploads.

Message 8 of 27
vb85
Aspirant

As far as the release date of   V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 I'm not sure but the release notes say updated 12/13/20,but I'm thinking it must be older than that because the last time I updated was in November or so. I'll keep an eye on the forums for the next couple weeks and if there aren't a  lot of problems posted with .116 I'll update to that.  Not having any problems with 9.88 but if it's older I'd rather update to something newer for security reasons. If I do so with no problems then I'll mark this as solved.

A big Thank You to everyone who replied for your help and insight.

vb85

Message 9 of 27
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@vb85 wrote:

As far as the release date of   V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 I'm not sure but the release notes say updated 12/13/20,but I'm thinking it must be older than that because the last time I updated was in November or so. I'll keep an eye on the forums for the next couple weeks and if there aren't a  lot of problems posted with .116 I'll update to that.  Not having any problems with 9.88 but if it's older I'd rather update to something newer for security reasons. If I do so with no problems then I'll mark this as solved.

A big Thank You to everyone who replied for your help and insight.

vb85

All the release notes for all of the older firmwares were updated around that date for some reason, probably something to do with the guidance notes on updating firmwares. V.42 which appears to be the 'stable' favourite for all those that can't seem to get any other firmware to work properly, is now over 3 years old and I can tell you now, I wouldn't personally put that on my router!

That aside, I have since run Bitdefender Home Scan and yet again, the only equipment that shows up as being a security risk, is, yup you guessed it, the router itself.

Message 10 of 27
DoctorX
Guide

I was able to set Timezone to "GMT-5:00 Eastern Time" and I was able to specify my own NTP server.  No issues with this.
Perhaps the problem only occurs with "GMT" ?

Message 11 of 27
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@DoctorX wrote:

I was able to set Timezone to "GMT-5:00 Eastern Time" and I was able to specify my own NTP server.  No issues with this.
Perhaps the problem only occurs with "GMT" ?

As I'm in the UK, I really do need my router to be set at GMT and to be able to set daylight saving time. With this latest release, it's not letting me do that. I prefer to select my own NTP server too and I can't even do that. I didn't have an issue prior to upgrading. That aside, I won't be downgrading to the previous version.

Message 12 of 27
DoctorX
Guide

It may be quicker for you to move to a different time zone than to wait for a fix for this. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 27
antinode
Guru

> [...] Anyone know how long ago V1.0.9.88 was released ?

The modification date+time on the files in the kit can be determined:

$ unzip -l R7000-V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.zip
Archive:  R7000-V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.zip
  Length      Date    Time    Name
---------  ---------- -----   ----
 31649850  06-24-2019 14:07   R7000-V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.chk
     1806  07-04-2019 12:09   R7000-V1.0.9.88_10.2.88_Release_Notes.html
---------                     -------
 31651656                     2 files

> Did you read the release notes? They usually have a date on the
> bottom.

A "Last Updated" date on a web page is hardly a reliable guide.
"12/13/2020" seems to be a bit later than "06-24-2019" (or
"07-04-2019").

> As far as the release date of V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 I'm not sure but the
> release notes say updated 12/13/20,but I'm thinking it must be older
> than that [...]

Beware of free advice from reality-resistant sources, I always say.

Message 14 of 27
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@DoctorX wrote:

It may be quicker for you to move to a different time zone than to wait for a fix for this. Smiley Happy

Ye Gods!!!! absolutely bloody not! Don't you know that the whole world revolves around GMT? Smiley LOL

Anyway UPDATE.........

I fixed the issue. It would appear that when I attempted to change the NTP, I was connected to my VPN and it seems that this might have caused the issue. I clearly don't know how, but after I disconnected my VPN, I went back into the R7000 browser GUI and I have now successfully set the NTP to GMT and my own preferred server.

Message 15 of 27
JWS9518
Apprentice

Knock on wood..but this is the first stable firmware for me since .42.  I have one of the older R7000's and could not get any stability with firmware past .42.  So far, this latest one has worked fine for me.  

Message 16 of 27
vostro
Aspirant

updated to 116 and got 36 hours stable connections, then same thing like past version beyond 42 happened: many devices get disconnected.

Message 17 of 27
JWS9518
Apprentice

So far, 5 days later that hasn't happened to me.  Like you, I had nothing but problems with the previous firmwares.  I can't explain why this one suddenly fixed the issues for me, but it did, at least for the moment.  Don't worry though, Netgear will probably break it on the next update. 😛

Message 18 of 27
LantzN
Aspirant

My R7000 as of last week, after a year of running fine, started to drop my devices and started showing "Internet Offline" message in the Nighthawk app.  When it happens, website won't load, movies and apps on my AppleTV box stop playing in the middle of streaming or get the spinning circle and no connection to network message. 

Everytime I've checked for a firmware update on my app it says there is none.  I bought it last June from Netgear online.  The firmware currently shows V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

So after reading a number of posts in this thread, it appears I'm stuck in the no firmaware updates issue.

I'm hooked to gig fiber at home.  The cable from the house's outside box runs to a small adapter box inside which then has an ethernet cable from that directly into the R7000.  Even rebooting it doesn't always fix the issue.  Some of these Internet Offline sessions, when not rebooted, will last 30-60 minutes then go online again without doing anything.

I'm sitting here typing on my Surface which is connected, yet my phone won't.  It doesn't matter if it's set to the Smart Connect feature or to the separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  It just randomly decides to send devices offline.

So I would like to try the firware update using the browser.  Which firmware is the most stable and where is it found?  Does the browser do all the downloading and firmaware updating?  I own a Macbook Pro and Surface 4, but I only have ethernet jack on my Macbook's multi-connection hub.  So it's either a direct connect using the Mac or over 5GHz using the Surface.

Thanks for any help.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 19 of 27
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@LantzN 

Ok, if your on V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 then you're 5 firmware updates behind what is currently available.

Asking which is the most stable firmware, will not necessarily be the best option, though reading through the umpteen threads on this community from folks complaining about similar issues, then someone is undoubtedly going to 'advise' you, to download v.42, which is now about 4 years old and more than likely, a security vulnerability. I'm not advising you to downgrade, merely letting you know that is what lots of folks claim they've done to give them a functioning R7000 AC1900.

Personallly, I've never had an issue with my router which was manufactured in 2019 and I'm more than happy to upgrade to each new firmware as it comes out. And as far as the firmware upgrades are concerned, forget your router or Nighthawk App telling you whether or not an upgrade is available or otherwise, because that function just doesn't appear to work, well it hasn't ever worked on my router anyway.

If you are going to update (or downdate) your firmware, then my personal advice is, do it hardwired over ethernet, don't do it wirelessly. I follow the same procedure every single firmware update, disconnect all of my devices, disable wireless in the router browser GUI for both 2.4 and 5ghz bands, connect my router directly to my laptop and upload the firmware from my desktop. Never had an issue yet. No multiple reboots or hard resets which some seem to favour.

This is the link for the latest firmware and I've been using this firmware since it was released with zero issues:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.11.123_10.2.100_hotfix.zip

Good luck.

Message 20 of 27
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@LantzN 

I also notice in your footer, that you have indicated you have the AC2300 model. This doesn't fit in with the firmware you state you are on. I am therefore assuming that you in fact have the AC1900 model? As far as I can tell, the AC2300 model didn't have firmware v.1.0.9.88.

Message 21 of 27
LantzN
Aspirant

Yes it's the AC1900 I picked the wrong one during selection because I saw dual band.  Hoping the correct one is showing now.

Message 22 of 27
LantzN
Aspirant

Thanks I'll give the new one a go.  I'm all for updating to the newest, but since this is the first time updating this router I merely meant "stable" as in public released and not some beta version (if that was even an option with Netgear routers).

Message 23 of 27
LantzN
Aspirant

Can you check that link again?  I'm getting a page not found even when trying to back out to the root level of the site.

Message 24 of 27
antinode
Guru

> Can you check that link again? [...]

Can who check which link again?  This one works for me:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.11.123_10.2.100_hotfix.zip

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)
When that fails because of a deficient User Manual, try:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960

> [...] I'm getting a page not found even when trying to back out to the
> root level of the site.

You may have bigger problems than a bad link.  But, again, copy+paste
of an actual URL might be more helpful than your vague description of
some actual URL.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 kudo