Re: R7000 new Firmware disables Access Control

Vince2016
Tutor

R7000 new Firmware disables Access Control

I am using Nighthawk AC1900 - R7000 in "AP Mode".

With Firmware Version V1.0.4.30_1.1.67:
I was able to use the "Access Control" link on the Advanced->Attached Devices page.
Also I could use the Advanced->Security->Access Control.

With Firmware Versions V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and V1.0.6.28_1.1.83
There in NO "Access Control" link on the Advanced->Attached Devices page.
The Advanced->Security->Access Control is disabled/grayed out.

I have tried powering off the router and doing a reset nothing fixes my problem.

I tried the following browsers:
PC #1:
IE 11.20.10586.0
Chrome 47.0.2526.106 m
Edge 25.10586.0.0

PC #2
Firefox 43.0.2
IE 11.0.9600.18125

Any ideas on how to enable the "Access Control" with the newer firmware?

Thanks,vince

Message 1 of 13
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

I can't speak to AP Mode, but can tell you that Access Control is available to me in both V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 in normal Router Mode.  Can you try toggling to Router Mode, Apply, then check Access Control... then toggle back to AP Mode ?

Message 2 of 13
Vince2016
Tutor

I changed from AP Mode to Router Mode. In Router Mode the Access Control works.

I changed from Router Mode to AP Mode. In AP Mode the Access Control does not work (same as in my original post).

Can some one confirm that firmware updates after V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 break/disable Access Control in AP Mode.

(I have reverted back to V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 and am running in AP Mode with full Access Control functionality.

Message 3 of 13
heligemus
Aspirant

I can confirm this behaviour - I also just updated to latest FW-Version, use R7000 as AP and Access Control Link disappeared.

In reality I don't need Access Control but I could add a name for each new device here which I can't do now anymore. Hopefully it will be fixed.

Message 4 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Access control should be disabled once the router is set to AP mode. It works on firmware version v1.0.4.30 via attached devices but was fixed on version v1.0.5.48 and v1.0.6.28.

Message 5 of 13
Vince2016
Tutor

JamesGL,

I will have to take your word that it was "fixed" in Firmware versions v1.0.5.48 and v1.0.6.28.

I do not wish to be disagreeable and would only like to explain my confusion and disappointment in this "fix".

I purchased the R7000 on 02/27/2014 and to the best of my memory have always used it in AP Mode with Access Control.

This is why when Firmware v1.0.5.48 broke/disabled the Access Control feature in AP Mode (almost 2 years after I had been using it)
I assumed it was a Firmware bug/problem.

I am disappointed that Netgear did not document or included a description of the "fix" in the Release Notes for Firmware v1.0.5.48 and v1.0.6.28.

Netgear should correct this error and update the firmware release notes.

I would argue that running the R7000 in AP Mode that the Access Control feature is required to limit/control wireless access.
My solution is the obvious I will stay on Firmware V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 and never update the firmware.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 13
hdub
Aspirant

I completly agree that this is not to way to act. Next to that I can't  update my device names anymore.

Netgear please fix this functionality 

Message 7 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi Vince2016,

I do understand your point. I will inform our engineers about the release notes. Just to let everyone know that when router is set to AP mode, there are certain features that are disabled and that includes Access Control.

Message 8 of 13
Vince2016
Tutor

I just wanted to update my firmware update experiences.

If you update from V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 to V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 or V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 it disables user/admin access to the "Access Control" feature when the router is in AP Mode.

Note, if you had "Access Control" enabled (Router in AP Mode) the Firmware update ONLY disables user/admin access to the "Access Control" feature in the user interface.

The "Access Control" feature is still operating/enforced and enabled, you just no longer have a way to change "Access Control" settings or even disable it via the user interface.

The only way I could really Disable "Access Control" was to reset the router to factory defaults.  I only did this for testing since I actually want "Access Control" in AP Mode.

I hope this was not too confusing.

I just found it curious that "Access Control" in AP Mode was only disabled in the user interface but in fact still works.

Message 9 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi Vince2016,

Thank you for you feedback. 

Message 10 of 13
JCDenton
Aspirant

Hello all,

I don't think that it does make sense to disable access control for routers which operate in AP-mode.
From my perspective, this is a must have for an access point! And why to disable a feature which works before, anyway?

Image the follwoing setup (which is actually mine):
Room one: A router is establisching the connection to the internet. It also builds up a WiFi network with SSID "xyz" (just an example)
Room two: My R7000 is connected to the first router via LAN (actually via powerline adapters). It also builds up a WiFI network with the exact same SSID "xyz" (a typical WiFi roaming setup).

Router one allows me to enable access control for the WiFi network and only allows known devices to the network.
Since Netgears fix, the R7000, which runs in AP-mode, doesn't allow "access control" anymore. So now also the access control of my second router doesn't make sense anymore. An attacker would just have to go to room number two to bypass router number one's access control.

My current workaround. I connected the R7000 to the first router via Lan-Port number 1, gave it a fixed IP and disabled DHCP (which is done by the first router).

That basically turns the router in an Access Point, again. The price is that you basically loose one LAN Port.

Cheers,
Ulli

Message 11 of 13
tk_Swiss
Aspirant

I've found a funny solution for this issue:

when using Netgear Genie on the iPhone, on the devices list there is a switch to turn Access Control on and off.

hope that helps.

Thomas

Message 12 of 13
tk_Swiss
Aspirant

I've found a funny solution for this issue:

when using Netgear Genie on the iPhone, on the devices list there is a switch to turn Access Control on and off.

hope that helps.

tk

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements