Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 new Firmware disables Access Control

sb2016
Tutor

R7000 new Firmware disables Access Control

I am using Nighthawk R7000 in "Access Point Mode".

With the prior Firmware Version (don't remember the version):
I was able to use the "Access Control" link on the Advanced->Attached Devices page.
Also I could use the Advanced->Security->Access Control.

With the latest Firmware Version V1.0.7.2_1.1.93
There in NO "Access Control" link on the Advanced->Attached Devices page.
The Advanced->Security->Access Control is disabled/grayed out.

I have tried powering off the router and doing a reset nothing fixes my problem.

I cannot revert to the prior firmware version as I had dropped connections with the prior version. This issue has gone away with the latest firmware V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 upgrade.

I called Netgear Support and they said it is a known bug. 

What is the ETA for the bug fix?

Any other ideas on how to enable the "Access Control" with the newer firmware?

Thanks,

Shankar

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 44

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7000 new Firmware disables Access Control

Access Control feature is disabled in AP mode per design and not considered as a bug. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 44

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Shankar

Welcome to the community!

Normally, when the router is in AP mode most features are disabled and Access Control is one of it. 

However, I acknowledge that you mentioned that Access Control was available with previous firmwares. 

Let me check this with our engineering department. 

Message 2 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Shankar Access Control was disabled in 1.0.7.2 firmware when in Access Point mode. 

Message 3 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Release Notes????????

Message 4 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member I have forwarded a request to update it. 

Message 5 of 44
sb2016
Tutor

Thanks for the follow-up, Elaine.

The Access Control feature was working fine in the prior firmware and it has been acknowledged as a bug in the latest version V1.0.7.2_1.1.93.

Question: When will Netgear release the fix to allow us to use "Access Control" in the latest firmware V1.0.7.2_1.1.93? Is there an ETA?

Message 6 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Access Control feature is disabled in AP mode per design and not considered as a bug. 

Message 7 of 44
sb2016
Tutor

Access Control feature is disabled in AP mode per design.

>> Do you have any documentation to back this up?

>> I called Netgear support on Sep 28, 2016 regarding this issue and the engineer told me that this was a bug introduced in this version.

>> How are we supposed to turn on and use the Access Control feature?

thanks

Message 8 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's not actually a bug. 

When router is in AP mode, it does not filter any traffic and it's just passing along all data traffic to the main router and therefore Access Control feature does not function. 

The only way you can use Access Control is when you have the router operate in Router mode. 

Message 9 of 44
Maxtest
Tutor

I too have this same problem. The access control feature was working perfectly in Access Point Mode.

When I upgraded to this latest firmware it stopped working. My linksys router also can use access control in access point mode so I don't accept your saying that this isn't a bug. It is a FEATURE that was working under ACCESS POINT mode and is no longer working. Further more, this FEATURE also works with other brands of wireless routers in ACCESS POINT MODE. So this router had a feature that was taken away and rather than restore this feature you would rather just say that is supposed to be like that. This is not an acceptable answer.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 44
sb2016
Tutor

I welcome suggestions on how to escalate this bug as multiple customers are impacted by this bug.

Message 11 of 44
Jun1oR
Tutor

This needs to be addressed as I believe most of us are only looking to filter wifi devices and not the entire network.

Message 12 of 44
Maxtest
Tutor

It looks like ElaineM is not willing to help and will not even ackknowledge that this this is a problem that needs to be fixed. I tried to find a way to contact support but it looks like after 90 days the only options are pay options or posting here. I purchased 3 of these from www.amazon.com. One for home and 2 for work. I plan on writing a review for each of these purchases which will reflect our experience with support and the crippled functionality on the R7000. In my review I will put a link to these posts so people can see for themselves what they are in for should they have a problem with a netgear product.

You were told by support that this was a bug and so it should be fixed. I know several other peolple that purchsed the R7000 on my recommendation who I now have to warn not to upgrade their firmware. Everyone I know uses this device in Access Point mode and also uses the Access Control feature.

I will give Netgear until the end of this week to give us an intelligent response as to when this problem will be fixed. After that I will start letting others know of this problem through reviews and instruct my friends who purchased this to do the same. Also, when you contacted support did they give you a ticket number? If so, are you able to call them back and ask for the status on that ticket?

Message 13 of 44
Jun1oR
Tutor

To be honest, the more I think about this the more I realize that anyone with the ability to crack my WPA2 passphrase can easily sniff out a valid mac address from one of my connected devices. I guess it's just a false sense of security.

Message 14 of 44
Maxtest
Tutor

I agree that a professional hacker may be able to get through this but it makes their job more difficult and keeps the script kiddies away.

I look at it this way. A professional burgler can probably pick almost any lock but that doesn't mean I'm going to take the locks off my doors.

It will stop the non professionals and make it take longer for the pros. Why should I make it easier for them. Anyway this bug in the firmware isn't just taking away a feature. It is still enabled and blocking new connections. I cannot add any more wireless devices because it is still blocking new connections and the place to turn off access control is now grayed out. These posts have over 800 views so I know I'm not the only one having trouble and Netgear isn't doing anything about it.

Message 15 of 44
sb2016
Tutor

I got an email today asking me to upgrade the firmware to fix security issue #582384. http://kb.netgear.com/000036470/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-7-6

I am not sure if this version will have the bug fix that we are asking for; enable Access Control in "Access Point" mode.

Message 16 of 44
OmerFaruk
Tutor

I can tell you it hasn't (Just upgraded from v.1.0.4.30_1.1.67 to V1.0.7.6_1.1.99, to fix the recently discovered vulnerability, only to discover that I have no longer access to the 'Access Control' option).

Furthermore, I was not happy to read Maxtest's findings: "It is still enabled and blocking new connections. I cannot add any more wireless devices because it is still blocking new connections and the place to turn off access control is now grayed out.". I had Access Control on mine set to "Block all new devices from connecting" in the old firmware, and I'm afraid Maxtest's findings most likely will also apply the latest firmware (I can't test this at the moment though, since I don't have any new, previously unconnected devices at home).

Message 17 of 44
sb2016
Tutor

OmerFaruk,

Thanks for confirming that the bug is not fixed in V1.0.7.6_1.1.99

Message 18 of 44
OmerFaruk
Tutor

The Access Control issue described by Maxtest is apparently still present in the latest firmware:

• Top: Original firmware: Access Control/'Block all new devices' active;
  • Bottom: After upgrading to the latest firmware: Access Control no longer accessible, yet 'Attached Devices' shows Access Control/'Block all new devices' still active.

Question: How to connect new devices in the future? Would I need to do something like a Factory Reset? (Is that even possible on the R7000?).

R7000 UI - Old vs. New

Message 19 of 44

I ran into this problem earlier this year when the AP mode stopped (!) allowing access control.

Netgear support explained to me that the AP does not support access control any longer but "confirmed it with our engineering team that on the future firmware release they will incorporate the Access Control even on AP Mode." No time frame could be given. As a short term fix I was recommended to revert to an older version of the firmware.

With the latest urgent security fix, this seems no longer an option and I am stuck between a rock and hard place.

Unless I figure out a way to make router mode work in configuration (not all my devices are directly connected to the R7000 and the subnetting makes I can't see them), I am considering switching to another brand or to DD-WRT to increase my security by bringing back access control.

Frank

Message 20 of 44
OmerFaruk
Tutor

Yep, going back to an older firmware version is not really an option anymore.

If you wanna stay with Netgear firmware, then the only way IMO is to disable Access Control. For this, IMO you'll need to do a Factory Reset. (I understood on Tweakers.net that it's possible to do a Factory Reset on the R7000. Haven't done it myself yet, but probably will have to next time I want to connect a new device (I'm not to keen on experimenting with alternative firmware yet)).

Message 21 of 44

Maybe the following sequence would work?

- switch to Router Mode

- change your Access Control settings/add a new device

- switch back to AP Mode

I will have a go at it later today...

Frank

Message 22 of 44
OmerFaruk
Tutor

Ah ok, let me know if that works!

Message 23 of 44

Summary: it didn't do what I'd hoped for: modifying access control settings through Router Mode

starting point - AP mode with attached devices showing  "Access Control: Turned On  General Rule: Allow all new devices to connect "

end point - AP mode with attached devices screen showing "Access Control: Turned Off"

Details:

Step 1: save the router settings in a cfg file via 'Advanced->Administration->Backup Settings

Step 2: switch from AP mode to Router Mode (careful, the R7000 got a different IP address in the range 192.168.1.x)

After the reboot, I temporarily could not connect to the router via wifi LAN, although I could see it. Not sure why. I connected through another machine that had a wired connection. Without making any changes, I re-gained access also through the wifi.

Step 3: Activated "Access Control" (was off) and set the option to disallow new devices to connect.

Step 4: Switched from Router Mode to AP mode; reboot occured automatically; in AP mode the access control was found to be off. This showed that what I wanted, is not possible.

Step 5: Loaded configuration settings saved in the step1; reboot occured automatically; in AP mode the access control was listed to be on again with new devices allowed to connect, i.e. back to where I started.

I cannot verify whether the access control is actually on AP mode, since I started with new devices allowed.

It seems that going from AP Mode -> Router Mode -> AP mode resets the access control to off. This might help you out if you get stuck with  AP mode+no-new-devices-allowed. If you want to try, I suggest that you make sure you have a way to physically connect to the router, just in case.

YMMV.

Frank

Message 24 of 44
OmerFaruk
Tutor

Aight, interesting stuff, thanx very much for extensively describing the procedure and the results. I will archive this for future reference.

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7