Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 new Firmware disables Access Control

ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Based from engineering, the availability of Access Control feature in AP mode in fw ver 1.0.4.30 was a bug later fixed. 

As for our router specification, when a router is set in AP mode features such as Access Control is turned off. 

Message 26 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@ElaineM wrote:

As for our router specification, when a router is set in AP mode features such as Access Control is turned off. 

It seems odd to turn that feature off.  It's certainly useful in an AP.

Message 27 of 44
OmerFaruk
Tutor

I agree Stephen. It's like that lock on your door as Maxtest said: Of course any lock will eventually be picked, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have a lock on our doors.

Message 28 of 44
Pluto8
Apprentice

I am a little bit puzzled by this discussion:

I have an R7000 as main router and another R7000 as access point. Both are now running firmware 1.0.7.6_1.1.99. I thought only the main router should handle the access control and give out IP addresses, not the access point. If the access point also should handle this, then you would have to add all the access control information in both routers (which is very inconvenient).

So as far as I can see, the graying out of the access control information in the access point is correct.

But maybe I am wrong?

Message 29 of 44
OmerFaruk
Tutor

My situation is a bit different, so maybe that will explain it: On my Modem/Router combo device (The one I got from my internetprovider), I disabled the Wireless functionality, and I use the R7000 as AP. So all my wireless devices only connect through the R7000. 

Message 30 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@Pluto8 wrote:

I have an R7000 as main router and another R7000 as access point. Both are now running firmware 1.0.7.6_1.1.99. I thought only the main router should handle the access control and give out IP addresses, not the access point. If the access point also should handle this, then you would have to add all the access control information in both routers (which is very inconvenient).

A client might not ask for an IP address, it could use a static address.  In that case the router might not even know that the client is on the network.

I agree that entering the access control in both places doesn't make sense.

Of course the real security is in the wifi passphrase and over-the-air encryption.  But I like to see more features enabled in the alternative router modes - generally if a feature works in that mode, I think it should be enabled.  Then I can decide what I want to configure, and where.

Message 31 of 44
FDM2
Aspirant

I agree I bought the router and a 5tb NAS drive believing this was some sort of great router..WRONG...... Its got bugs , The Geni app has issues as well as the Netgear app, The access control as posted did work in AP mode in the last verision prior to last updated firmware Dec 20th (+ -) 2016 . Yes I need access control for Kids to place access times and to boot people off as needed , I dont need to shutdown the internet router from the Internet locking everyone out..... I'm not impressed at all with this router or company. I had better router less issues and better control using a linksys that was several years old. One reason I bought this router was because mine was old. I thought newer router would have better features....WRONG AGAIN!.... NOT IMPRESSED and I'm a NEW CUSTOMER not a good start!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 44
FDM2
Aspirant

No it doesn't fix the issue It was that verision that caused me to lose access control.

Message 33 of 44

Hello @ElaineM

I have understood that access control is not available in AP mode by choice.

Could you please verify with engineering whether the statement they made in my support call (case number # 26257497 ), i.e. "that on the future firmware release they will incorporate the Access Control even on AP Mode." is still valid? And if so, whether a time frame could be given. Note that the statement was done by level2 support in February of this year.

If this is no longer the case, I can close this path and concentrate on my alternatives (DD-WRT, different supplier).

Regards,

Frank

Message 34 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@FDM2 wrote:

No it doesn't fix the issue It was that verision that caused me to lose access control.

You could downgrade firmware, since the AP web ui is protected by your main router.  The security vulnerability doesn't have much risk in that case.

The other option is to find a way to use the R7000 as the router, not just an AP.

Both are workarounds of course (not trying to say otherwise).

Message 35 of 44
slash1981
Tutor

While I agree that Access Control feature is not quite needed on the router in AP mode (it's enough to control access via Access Control feature on the main router) what I don't understand is how Access Control feature should function in Netgear's understanding...

Just for a sake of testing I changed access for one of my wireless devices to "Blocked". Voila - no Internet access. HOWEVER, I was still able to easily access all my network shares on my LAN. In my understanding security of the private network (LAN) is way more important than security of public WAN (Internet).

So, Netgear, what's the purpose of this Access Control feature if the only access that it controls is access to the Internet?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 36 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Per engineering, there are no plans to add Access Control in AP mode.

@slash1981 Have you submitted that case with support? 

Message 37 of 44
slash1981
Tutor

@ElaineM wrote:

@slash1981 Have you submitted that case with support? 

No I have not. While your products are usually of a good quality, your Support team is terrible. Taking into account my mostly negative experience while dealing with Netgear Support in the past - I didn't really bother opening a case.

Wierd though that you need a case for an issue like that. I mean, it's pretty basic - access control feature should be either blocking or allowing access. Your ACL blocks this access partially. It is my understanding that this should've been caught during QA.

Message 38 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

While it's true that QA should have caught it but then it could be an isolated issue.

However, in your case I strongly suggest submitting a case to support team for verification. 

You can submit a case online

Message 39 of 44
slash1981
Tutor

@ElaineM wrote:

While it's true that QA should have caught it but then it could be an isolated issue.

However, in your case I strongly suggest submitting a case to support team for verification. 

I do not have "Submit a new online support ticket" option available. Only "Contact Support" as shown HERE. Might be because I have never registered my two R7000's...

Message 40 of 44
sb2016
Tutor

I logged in to the Support site. I also get the option "CONTACT SUPPORT". There is no option to submit an online Support Ticket. What do you suggest, ElaineM?

Message 41 of 44
Maxtest
Tutor

Sorry folks. Between work and caring for my mother who has dementia I havn't had time to persue this. I work in I.T. and have used many brands and models of wireless routers and all of them allow mac filtering in AP mode. Including other netgear routers which I have owned. The responses from netgear engineering and this forum moderator are simply absurd. These folks are just too lazy to fix the problem and are giving everyone the run around. People have already submitted this problem to Netgear support with no resolution. I think the only way to get any resolution to this would be to contact Netgear SALES and make them aware that their tech support is not doing their job and giving folks the run around. I had a similar problem at work with our phone system. The techs made some changes that broke a feature and gave me some lame excuse that it was required for some new standard. I looked up the standard that they gave me and it had nothing to do with that feature but they refused to fix it. I contacted SALES and they said this was the first they were hearing about it. Within an hour the feature was restored. The SALES folks know who these people are and who their supervisor is. As I said, I am just too busy to pusue this and ended up restoring the old firmware so I could add new devices and get functionality back but now it doesn't have the latest security updates. If someone has the time perhaps they could find how to contact sales and make them aware of this problem and point them to this forum.

Message 42 of 44
slash1981
Tutor

@ElaineM wrote:

So it looks like you've submitted the case for me... Just as I said before the only reason I had never bothered submitting a ticket was because I knew it was going to be a waste of my time...

And so it got proven again.. One week of meaningless emails and here's the rationale:

"Your R7000 comes with the following warranty from the date of purchase:

• 90 days basic technical support
• 1 year Hardware Warranty

Based on the product registration, your device is no longer eligible for a replacement."

Completely ignoring the fact that I did not want both my R7000s to be replaced since I know they are not defective... I've been in IT for 15 years doing networking and virtualization to be able to pinpoint a bug in firmware... But oh well.. 😄

Message 43 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I will cascade clearly your issue to support and inform our engineering team about it.

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7