Follower

R7000 nighthawk constantly needs rebooting

My router worked for 6 months.  Now every week often while no one is in the house, the WiFi stops and I have to reboot the router.  Once rebooted, it works fine for several days then it happens again.  It has happened at least 10 times.  I updated the firmware and it still happens.  Netgear support would not help as the 90 days are up yet it is still under warranty.  Utter failure on their part.

Any suggestions?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3
Luminary

Re: R7000 nighthawk constantly needs rebooting

@psallerson wrote:

My router worked for 6 months.  Now every week often while no one is in the house, the WiFi stops and I have to reboot the router.  Once rebooted, it works fine for several days then it happens again.  It has happened at least 10 times.  I updated the firmware and it still happens.  Netgear support would not help as the 90 days are up yet it is still under warranty.  Utter failure on their part.

Any suggestions?

Just an FYI your signature shows R7000P and your post shows R7000 . With the info you shared not a lot of an impact just yet, but just be aware they are different models...

In either case, at the end of the day, support would tell you to factory reset the router.

To do that, with it fully booted up, press/hold the reset button with a paperclip (not the power button) for ~30 seconds (Way overkill, but incase you count fast..).  The power button should start blinking.  Once you release the reset button, wait 4-5 minutes and your router will be in it's "out of box" state but all your configuration data will be removed. The firmware will be on the same version.

Also just a couple notes, given the model confusion, what version of firmware did you update to? And did you try a factory reset after updating the firmware?

Message 2 of 3
Aspirant

Re: R7000 nighthawk constantly needs rebooting

We have had our R7000 AC1900 Smart Wifi Router for about 6 months and now we're having to reboot about twice a week when our modem shows that we have internet, but the router isn't passing it through.  Rebooting seems to work (we unplug both the power and the ethernet cord and wait 2-3 minutes which is what our internet provider recommended we do for modem reboots to ensure success) but it makes me nervous to have to do this so often with a piece of equipment we're so dependent on.  I'd replace our router with something else, but we're also dependent on Circle in our family and really like having the Circle capability built into the router vs with a separate unit.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements