Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 not transmitting full bandwidth

ryanmay80
Aspirant

R7000 not transmitting full bandwidth

We recently upgraded our internet from 50Mbps to 200Mbps, however I cannot get our Nighthawk to transmit more than 40-50.  I've turned off QoS (WMM is still on) and went through all of the channel options.  I have 2.4 and 5 turned on (same SSID) but still no change.  The Nighthawk sits in the middle of our house with only 1 wall between my laptop and the Router, so I believe interferance isn't enough to cause a 75% loss.  Thoughts?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 not transmitting full bandwidth

That Realtek card is not going to do much better than 40 to 50 Mbps.  I just explained why in this post (here).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@ryanmay80 wrote:

We recently upgraded our internet from 50Mbps to 200Mbps, however I cannot get our Nighthawk to transmit more than 40-50.  I've turned off QoS (WMM is still on) and went through all of the channel options.  I have 2.4 and 5 turned on (same SSID) but still no change.  The Nighthawk sits in the middle of our house with only 1 wall between my laptop and the Router, so I believe interferance isn't enough to cause a 75% loss.  Thoughts?

What did you have before? How are you measuring this? Wireless? If so, what speed, G, N, or AC? Are you testing on a wired PC? Connect the wired PC to the modem, what do you get?

Message 2 of 11
ryanmay80
Aspirant

1) I was getting about the same prior to the upgrade.  

2) I'm measuring by doing a speedtest on the laptop at both speedtest.net and the providers site.

3) I'm connected wirelessly

4) My laptop has the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

5) When the technician tested the connection hardwired to the modem he got 239 Mbps

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

For experienced users using same SSID is a bad idea because you don't know which network or band you're using. The router is only part of it, Your clients are just as important to realize higher speeds. What are they? What security setting are you using.

I don't believe that card is even 5g capable so your speeds are not going to be much better using wifi. Using 2.4 set to 289 you might see low 70's if sitting in same room as router provided your using WPA2 security

Message 4 of 11
ryanmay80
Aspirant

I originally had them set different, but read somewhere to try and set them as the same and then use the "Enable Smart Connect" to potentially improve the connection.  I've turned that off (and turned off the 5GHz SSID) and set the Mode to 289 Mbps.  Still getting the same results as before.

As for clients we have laptops, cell phones, TVs and other minor items running over the wifi.

Security Settings:
Access Control - On

Keyword Blocking - Never

Services Blocking - Never

Message 5 of 11
TheEther
Guru

That Realtek card is not going to do much better than 40 to 50 Mbps.  I just explained why in this post (here).

Message 6 of 11
IrvSp
Master

Can you measure the router with the wired PC, should match what the Tech found connected direct to the modem.

Is you Security for the wireless set to WPA2-PSK[AES]?

Is 20/40 Mhz Coexistence on?

Message 7 of 11
ryanmay80
Aspirant

It'll take a little bit of effort to hardwire into the router, but I can check here in a bit.

Security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES]

20/40 MHz Coexistence is enabled

Message 8 of 11
ryanmay80
Aspirant

I am getting 239 Mbps at the router, but still only 40-50 through wifi.

Message 9 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@ryanmay80 wrote:

I am getting 239 Mbps at the router, but still only 40-50 through wifi.

Well, wired gives full speed, so I assume that the bottleneck is the wireless adapter. You could try another, find a place, like Staples, that allows free returns, and get a USB wireless adapter and check. Disable the on-board wireless during the test if you want to do that.

Message 10 of 11
ryanmay80
Aspirant

That was my next thought...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements