Re: R7000 on V1.0.9.60_10.2.60 - ReadyShare Keeps Reseting to Default

gavin20
Tutor

R7000 on V1.0.9.60_10.2.60 - ReadyShare Keeps Reseting to Default

Hello,

Ever since I upgraded my R7000 to firmware V1.0.9.60_10.2.60, the network share I created via ReadyShare keeps reseting to defaults. Specifically, the share name changes back to "T_Drive" and read/write access is set to "All - No password". It's done this a few times - noticed when I'm unable to access my share via network due to incorrect share name. I assume it resets to default when the router reboots.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14
IrvSp
Master

I'd go back to the .42 release. This release has so many problems reported here I've lost track of some of them.

Some people do not have a problem with the .60, but if you search the V1.0.9.60 here you will find many many people who have installed and have a variety of problems.

Message 2 of 14
gavin20
Tutor

OK i reverted back to the older firmware. I was able to downgrade and restore my backup config, did a hard reboot on the router. But now I cannot login due to invalid password. I tried the default admin/password login and a variety of others including the password I set and expected it to use. Stumped...any ideas would be appreciated. Able to internets, so I got that going for me...

Message 3 of 14
sktn77a
Virtuoso

V1.0.9.60_10.2.60 required resetting the password.  Did you use the new password when trying to log back in?  Have you reset to factory specs?

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 4 of 14
gavin20
Tutor

Yup I tried using the new password, no luck. I was finally able to get things up and running in the same state i started. Did the 8sec reset, logged into the router and updated firmware to the latest. Rebooted and reapplied my config file and all was good, except the original issue with is minor compared to almost bricking my router. :/

Tried a factory reset but it wouldn't downgrade the firmware, so I'm stuck with the latest fw until the next release is pushed out - looking forward to it.

Message 5 of 14
antinode
Guru

> Tried a factory reset but it wouldn't downgrade the firmware, [...]

A settings reset resets the settings of your current firmware; it
does not install different firmware.  If you want different firmware,
then you'd need to install it.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 6 of 14
sktn77a
Virtuoso

As stated above, the factory reset doesn't change the firmware version but it does allow you access to the router setup.  Download firmware 042 and then install it manually from the update menu in the router settings.

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 7 of 14
gavin20
Tutor

Understood - thanks for the clarification. I was able to downgrade but when I applied my backup config file, it wouldn't allow me to login due to invalid password. Tried default, my original, new one etc. Only way to log back in was upgrading to the latest firmware, which accepted my password after restore my backup config.

Message 8 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@gavin20 wrote:

Understood - thanks for the clarification. I was able to downgrade but when I applied my backup config file, it wouldn't allow me to login due to invalid password. Tried default, my original, new one etc. Only way to log back in was upgrading to the latest firmware, which accepted my password after restore my backup config.

Not sure what you did?

You logged into the router and restored to an older firmware? Correct?

You then logged in and restored the higher level Configuration file to the  older firmware? Correct?

Then you couldn't login due to Invalid Password? Correct?

Next you restored the newest firmware you originally were on? Correct?

Then restored you original Configuration file? Correct?

Then you could log in with your password? Correct?

One question? If you couldn't log in, how did you RESTORE anything, a configuration file or update firmware?

Other than I have no clue what you actually did (or using what to do it?) what I suspect is that you changed the password from the default. Assuming you did the RESET (not powering off and then on) what happened was you reset the password to DEFAULT value, 'password', and tried to use your changed password which will not work.

It then accepted you password? Correct?

Message 9 of 14
afonseca
Aspirant

I am having the exact issue as reported by gavin20 with the same router R7000 and version of the firmware, Firmware Version V1.0.9.60_10.2.60. Can someone from Netgear please follow-up on this issue?

Message 10 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone we have a new firmware we just released you may see if that resolves your issue.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060566/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-64-All-Regions-except-China

DarrenM

Message 11 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@DarrenM, are you aware and KNOW these specific problems are fixed on the release? I've seen another NG employee respond to another thread to try the new f/w.

Reading the README doesn't give me the same expectations you seem to have that it is fixed, or are you just guessing/hoping it might be?

What as posted in the README  on Knowledgebase:

====================

New features and enhancements:

• Improves the network device identification.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the router should not remember the device name that was changed before the reset.
  • Fixes the issue where the OpenVPN client Connection Type shows as wired in the Attached Devices page but no information about the client shows in the VPN Client Devices tables.
  • Fixes the issue where the user can access the Internet Setup page via the Router/AP/Bridge/Repeating mode page.
  • Fixes the issue where some functions are grayed out if the user is using Firefox as the web browser.
  • Fixes the issue where watch devices cannot be detected and don’t display on the attached devices page.
  • Fixes the issue where some devices will display an unknown device name.
  • Fixes the issue where offline devices do not disappear.
  • Fixes the issue where the device name will show an unknown string.

Known Issues:

• When using the Nighthawk app, the login fails when the password contains special characters.
  • The Internet will not disconnect when using a static WAN IP address and has reached the monthly traffic meter limit.
  • When disabling Circle using the Nighthawk app, the GUI still shows the Circle status as enabled.

=================

Nothing in there seems to not mention READYSHARE at all?

Nothing about the major problems, like wireless dropping?

Do you know more that what was posted? Is the README incomplete?

Also, what does this mean, "Fixes the issue where the router should not remember the device name that was changed before the reset."?

Isn't the function of a RESET to reset ALL settings to default values, in that I assume it would ERASE NVRAM, and that is where this would have been saved, no? Is the definition of RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS being changed?

Message 12 of 14
afonseca
Aspirant

@DarrenM, thank you for sharing the updated release is available. However, I would like to echo some of @IrvSp 's concerns regarding the specific issue reported. Are you able to reproduce the specific issue reported in this thread? If so, can you verify if the specific fix for the issue has indeed been addressed in this latest firmware release?

Otherwise, your communication style can be off-putting or frustrating to those who are looking for confirmation of reported issues and reasonable expectation of resolution in a given release. Saying, "you may see if that resolves your issue" sounds like we're just guessing and Netgear is asking the customer to do quality assurance testing with the risk of installing a firmware that may cause more issues than in resolves. Needless to say, this is not a good customer experience so please pass along this feedback to your team.

Message 13 of 14
gavin20
Tutor

Hello,

Wanted to let you know the latest firmware release took care of my original issue with ReadyShare. No longer reseting to default. Thanks!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E