Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 optimal settings

Drune
Aspirant

R7000 optimal settings

Hello

i have a r7000 nighthawk router. It operated at half speed for wifi from my previous router. I have a 20 Mbps connection and the previous router reflected that speed with speed tests over wifi. My new router (r7000) now is broadcasting at half speed. For example my speed tests are about 8 Mbps wifi. I talked to tech support and I changed a few settings and it worked good 20 Mbps wifi speed . The settings changed when I power cycled my router. I was just wondering if someone could assist with settings cause my tech support expired. I know very little about settings so any help is appreciated.

Dave

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

@Drune wrote:

Hello

i have a r7000 nighthawk router. It operated at half speed for wifi from my previous router. I have a 20 Mbps connection and the previous router reflected that speed with speed tests over wifi. My new router (r7000) now is broadcasting at half speed. For example my speed tests are about 8 Mbps wifi. I talked to tech support and I changed a few settings and it worked good 20 Mbps wifi speed . The settings changed when I power cycled my router. I was just wondering if someone could assist with settings cause my tech support expired. I know very little about settings so any help is appreciated.

Dave

Not sure I understand? Support had you make changes to settings and it worked over wireless is what you state, but not what speed your wireless is at, N or G? Also a power cycle or router reboot should hold your settings. If you RESET it will not.

So 4 questions:

1. What do you mean by  'power cycled'?
  2. What is your wireless device speed and are you testing the same distance away from the router?
  3. What 'band' are you on?
  4. What are you using to determine your speed?

Also, can you take a screen shot of your WIRELESS settings (hiding some 'personal' info) or at least see if it matches mine:

Capture.JPG

Of course on either band you could have interference. Have you tried other bands? A program like Acrylic WiFi (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/) will show you other wifi's near you and possible overlap/interfernce and show you open band you can use.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@Drune wrote:

Hello

Dave

Not sure I understand? Support had you make changes to settings and it worked over wireless is what you state, but not what speed your wireless is at, N or G? Also a power cycle or router reboot should hold your settings. If you RESET it will not.

So 4 questions:

1. What do you mean by  'power cycled'?
  2. What is your wireless device speed and are you testing the same distance away from the router?
  3. What 'band' are you on?
  4. What are you using to determine your speed?

Also, can you take a screen shot of your WIRELESS settings (hiding some 'personal' info) or at least see if it matches mine:

Capture.JPG

Of course on either band you could have interference. Have you tried other bands? A program like Acrylic WiFi (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/) will show you other wifi's near you and possible overlap/interfernce and show you open band you can use.

Message 2 of 11
netwrks
Master

Ensure WMM is enabled on the router (and wireless client). If QoS is enabled, disable it.

Message 3 of 11
racingmatt73
Aspirant

I have the r7500 ,why did you disable qos and what do you mean by wireless client ?
Message 4 of 11
netwrks
Master

The thread is titled "This thread is titiled "R7000 optimal settings". Do you have a 7500 or 7000? QoS disables CTF on a 7000, and a similar process on a 7500, which can impede performance on the said routers. Wireless clients are phone tablets laptops, anything that connects to a wriless network. anyway, try disbaling QoS and see if  your performance improves on the router..

Message 5 of 11
Pac-Man
Tutor

The R7000 is not  known to be user friendly  .So if you don't know much how to work  manually  through the settings it maybe  be a bad choice  picking up the R7000  .I'm on 150mb  but i did have the same problem when i  installed it out of the box  .But you could try logging  into  the router then go to Advance setup  select  Wireless settings try unchecking (disable) the box where it says ( Enable  20/40 MHz Coexistence ) .And go to the Setup tab select QoS Setup and make sure that WMM are enabled  . 

Message 6 of 11
Ty28
Initiate

I'm having the same problem only on my ps4 however, I get 70 mbps on everything expect the ps4 recently been giving me 8mbps.
Message 7 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ty28,

Disable the QoS and check the connection again on your PS4. 

Message 8 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ty28,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Message 9 of 11
Ty28
Initiate

Alright thank you sir appreciate it
Message 10 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ty28,

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7