Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 port forwarding not working while modem is in bridged mode

znypar
Aspirant

R7000 port forwarding not working while modem is in bridged mode

Hi guys,

I have a R7000 wired directly to my NVG589 modem, which is running in bridged mode.

It seems I am unable to forward any ports to servers I have running behind the router. (My primary goal is to forward 8081 for Milestone XProtect).  Before using the modem as bridged, the R7000 was in access point mode, the video server was wired through the modem directly - using port forwarding successfully.

I see my outside connection attempts to my public IP in the router logs, and I see the public IP on the router's internet status.

I have also tried setting the video server as DMZ with no luck.

8081 is (configured to be) forwarding for TCP/UDP, to the correct internal IP of the video server, with an allocated static IP address.  Not even port 80 forwards successfully in this mode.  Software firewalls are disabled on the server as well.  Internal requests to the server are responding correctly.

readyshare  and mediaserver are disabled.

This is the kicker for me: If I enable remote management on the router, port 8443 responds to external requests to the public IP immediately.

I am running the latest firmware (but am willing to downgrade if required).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

edit: to clarify, firmware is V1.0.6.28_1.1.83

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
znypar
Aspirant

Thanks for responding rpoffen,

I did make sure to enable bridge mode (well, not true bridge, but IP passthrough).

The R7000 was listing the public IP as NAT address.

SO, I think I just stumbled on the cause. And it's a little bit embarrasing, but hopefully it will click for someone who changes their network structure like I did.

On the server machine, I had manually assigned the IP, subnet, and gateway within the network adapter settings, due to limitations within the modem for its routing config.  When the topology changed, so did the gateway address, of course. I'm not sure how, but I had internet from within the machine for a time and also was able to access the machine from within the local network via the public IP in addition to its local IP (as explained before), so the IP was likely still passing through the modem's gateway... (for learning, I would be interested in someone explaining how this worked for a time)

Prior topology: connection to the outside is: Modem -> POE switch -> (everything else, and router as access point)

Current topology: connection to the outside is: Modem -> Router -> POE switch -> everything else

Anyways, I assigned a static IP from within the R7000 for the server, set the server to automatic, and now things are solid and functioning as hoped.

TLDR; Check your machine configuration, it might be conflicting with the router.  If you're trying to port forward to a specific machine and it isn't working, try forwarding to a different machine.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
znypar
Aspirant

I wanted to clarify that the port forwarding was only configured AFTER the firmware update. No port forwarding was configured before the update (as the changelog suggests to reconfigure).

Also that a factory reset was performed after the firmware update.

Message 2 of 5
znypar
Aspirant

To continue to track this issue for the benefit of others:

The port forwarding works correctly while within the internal network and using the external IP (99.xx.xx.xx:8081).

The forwarding still does not respond from an external network using the external IP.

Message 3 of 5
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Perhaps the modem is not fully in bridge mode. On another thread the user had to uncheck the NAT function in the modem setup as well as enable bridge mode.

What IP address does the R7000 get on its WAN port?

Message 4 of 5
znypar
Aspirant

Thanks for responding rpoffen,

I did make sure to enable bridge mode (well, not true bridge, but IP passthrough).

The R7000 was listing the public IP as NAT address.

SO, I think I just stumbled on the cause. And it's a little bit embarrasing, but hopefully it will click for someone who changes their network structure like I did.

On the server machine, I had manually assigned the IP, subnet, and gateway within the network adapter settings, due to limitations within the modem for its routing config.  When the topology changed, so did the gateway address, of course. I'm not sure how, but I had internet from within the machine for a time and also was able to access the machine from within the local network via the public IP in addition to its local IP (as explained before), so the IP was likely still passing through the modem's gateway... (for learning, I would be interested in someone explaining how this worked for a time)

Prior topology: connection to the outside is: Modem -> POE switch -> (everything else, and router as access point)

Current topology: connection to the outside is: Modem -> Router -> POE switch -> everything else

Anyways, I assigned a static IP from within the R7000 for the server, set the server to automatic, and now things are solid and functioning as hoped.

TLDR; Check your machine configuration, it might be conflicting with the router.  If you're trying to port forward to a specific machine and it isn't working, try forwarding to a different machine.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7