R7000 positive feedback.

dallascowboyswo
Aspirant

R7000 positive feedback.

I just ordered this router and I am concerned about my purchase from reading this forum. Is there any positive feedback for this router. Are some of you experiencing no issues. I would like to know. I would like to here some positive feedback for this router.
Prodigy

Re: R7000 positive feedback.

It has provided great throughput for me. I get the same 50mbps to the internet on WiFi that I get when running wired. Running my Blu-Ray player or TV to watch NetFlix is always top quality without buffering.
The power of the WiFi is great but you must be careful to install the antennas as they are easy to cross thread.
I have no drops as long as I reserve IP addresses for all my devices.
The USB interface works great with USB thumb drives.
Message 2 of 14
wgentine
Aspirant

The hardware is the best you can buy right now at this level: AC1900.

The software....is a piece of crap...
Message 3 of 14
dallascowboyswo
Aspirant

Thanks LeeH
Tutor

Get out now while you can. Go look at ASUS router forum and make an informed decision.

1xR6300 V1 - V1.0.2.36_1.0.28
Message 5 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I think that you're early on in getting this router, and have to be prepared for a bumpy ride. I really love it when it's working well, it's a great piece of hardware, and not so much when it isn't. The problem at the moment is the same problem that the Asus RT-AC68U has, the router was released before there was stable, fully functional firmware for it.

The latest Netgear firmware has been fine for me, even though Netgear had to take back a feature that I've been looking for. I'm sure that they'll be putting it back soon. But I use mostly the routing and wireless features, not the vpn or usb features at the moment. So, while I'm pretty happy with the latest Netgear firmware, you may or may not be.

Don't know if you've seen this review, but if you haven't, take a look:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asu...

It talks quite a bit about the two routers that you are probably looking at.

Just so I'm sure that you know how I feel about this router, I really like it, great piece of hardware. Now I'm just waiting for the firmware to catch up *smile*.
Message 6 of 14
Mark_K
Tutor

don't be surprised if Netgear doesn't fix it with a new fw and just release a new model ala 6300v1, v2 now 7000.

1xR6300 V1 - V1.0.2.36_1.0.28
Message 7 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Mark_K wrote:
don't be surprised if Netgear doesn't fix it with a new fw and just release a new model ala 6300v1, v2 now 7000.

I like your positive feedback...the OP can read about the problems, and is asking for positive feedback, I thought? It is still early on for the r7000, we'll see. Keep in my that there's other firmware than Netgear's available, as well.
Message 8 of 14
eXR3
Novice

So after being disappointed with the R6300 high ping time problems. I decided to try a different brand this time around and see what it can offer.

I purchased the Asus RT-68U and used it for a month and a half. The router was not stable at all. I have tried numerous firmware updates but the router never worked correctly. If you look at various forums regarding the RT-68U you will see that people are having problems with it as well.

I had problems with my VOIP not working, Security cameras would not connect and when they do they wouldn't stay connected, USB transfers were slow and WIFI signals were weak or just stop working.

I really didn't want to go back to Netgear but decided to give the R700 a try. I have been using it for two months now and I have to say that Netgear won me back.

Everything just works! I haven't been disconnected nor had to reboot the router to get speeds back. I have no problems with VOIP or security cameras connecting. Movie streaming works great no stutters at all. No problems with any wireless devices connecting to the router.

The wireless signal is also stronger than the R6300. I usually get two bars with the R6300 on my laptop but with the R7000 I get a solid four bars! The R7000 is in the same location where the R6300 was (front of the house). My laptop is located all the way towards the rear of the house (with walls in between) which is pretty far from the router.

The Asus RT-68U only gave me two bars when tested in the same location and sometimes would drop the signal.

Overall I am satisfied with R7000. Let's hope Netgear doesn't abandon it or else!! 😄
Message 9 of 14
SoCal
Aspirant

Mark_K wrote:
Get out now while you can. Go look at ASUS router forum and make an informed decision.

You're begin ridiculous. You act like you've purchased an enterprise level product and expect the same out of it, when it's a consumer product. My R7000 has been working well for me.

Mark_K wrote:

Hmmmm...I recall other vendors doing the same, such as Linksys. What's your point. If you're so fed up with NETGEAR why don't you move on? Please.
Message 10 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

It is very very rare for someone to register as a member and post positive comments in a forum like this, most people come here because they have an issue to resolve or need advice.

I have no idea how many R7000’s are in people’s homes now, but if you were to count the registered members here who own an R7000 you would come up with a small number, I would say that number would be a fraction of the people who may have been disappointed with the R700 and returned it, but then even that larger number is going to be a very small fraction of overall sales.

As I have said elsewhere, using forums like this to gauge the quality of a product will often give a skewed viewpoint, I usually use this type of forum to find if there are any hard and fast issues e.g. this router does not support ‘xyz’ function, and I tend to ignore comments like ‘the coverage from this router in my home is rubbish, my old ‘abc’ router was better’.

Personally this is the first WiFi router that I have found to be capable of supporting sustainable throughput of over 300Mbps around my house, effectively capped by the wired rates for my gigabit network. The router 5GHz generally outperforms the 2.4GHz for me, and since there are over 26 other 2.4GHz networks nearby that’s a welcome change. I have not had to reset the router since I last made any changes to it several weeks ago. I do have an issue with an attached USB 3 HD that does not talk well with the router, but that’s a feature I personally don’t need.

I don’t deny that others have more significant issues than me, but I believe I am not alone in having very few issues.
Message 11 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Here's my positive story to date. I tend to change firmware fairly frequently, looking for a stable and reliable release with strong wireless. I've tried dd-wrt a couple of times to see what was going on there. I was not satisfied with the wireless coverage on dd-wrt, and also had a 5GHz. wireless drop out with it. In any case, dd-wrt for this router as of now would not be I'm looking for, since there is no IPv6 without doing it yourself, no guest network without doing it yourself, and no implicit beamforming in sight. These are all features that I would expect a $200 wireless-ac router to have, and features that Netgear says that they will have, a couple of which are already there and working well.

Have tried the latest dd-wrt release, r23075 now. The story there is supposed to be stronger, faster, more stable wireless. I found the wireless coverage kind of weak at 71mw (not as good as my RT-N66U), so cranked it up to 250mw, and got the extra ~6dB from that, and it was still not that great, although it was usable. So I came back to the latest Netgear firmware, and found that it was noticeably stronger on both 2.4 and 5GHz. (at my house) than dd-wrt cranked up to 250mw. And the IPv6 and guest networks work fine. So I'm staying with the latest Netgear firmware for the time being, it is serving my needs well.

I'm also keeping an eye on the dd-wrt firmware for improvements and added features, and will be trying them out as they come. But they have a ways to go, as does Netgear firmware. On the other hand, as I've said, I'm not currently using the USB or wireless-ac features, but will be doing so as time goes on. At this point, I'm very happy with this router, happier with the Netgear firmware than the dd-wrt firmware, but it is great that there's an alternative firmware that's being developed that has promise as well.

So, for the features that I use the most on a router at this point in time, I'm very happy with the r7000, and the Netgear firmware is on the way where it needs to go. best router yet here.
Message 12 of 14
phreebsd
Aspirant

I'm running latest engineering build firmware and I have to say they have worked out the stability issues/connectivity drops/etc. I've not had any issues in some time using the recommended settings.
The USB issue still remains reported in the other thread (files and folders converting to empty files and some being undeletable) but they have made great strides in fixing the most problematic things facing users now.
I'm even using beamforming. It's working quite well. Also using QoS and working well.

Throughput on the device is fantastic. It can definitely perform. Its no slouch. It can handle a myriad of devices all at once. I have I think 15 connected and one more on the way (Thanks Netgear!)

Overall I'm happy with this device. I have a great coverage area versus my older WNDR3400.

Just bare with them a bit longer, a working firmware is coming.
Message 13 of 14
kenrok1
Aspirant

I'll share my mostly positive hands-on experience and history of switching to Netgear…

I used to always use Linksys and had several models up to the E3000 and was happy with them, so they were my go-to when the new AC routers hit – I tried several models up to the EA6500 and gave up on them since they seemed too flaky.

I then compared for some length of time the Netgear R6300 V1 and Asus RT-AC66U for several weeks and the Netgear was far more stable and outperformed the others (except I did like the Linksys web GUI better), this was especially evident when I was using RSA VPN and Cisco VoIP while others in the house were gaming and streaming videos, using Facetime / Skype, etc. - A lot of traffic!

So I have been using the R6300 for over a year no complaints.

When then R7000 came out I got it and relegated the R6300 to a bridge (since I was already using another R6300 as a bridge too) and have been very pleased with the performance up until the loading firmware 1.0.2.120 and Netgear quickly pulled this from their list and replaced it with V1.0.2.164 but somehow it feels like 1.0.2.120 “broke” something strange as it sounds.

Netgear is still working on a new firmware and is offering a beta firmware for troubleshooting, so I am holding out hope.

I have not tried the latest Asus RT-AC68U but I did try the Linksys EA6900 for a while and again felt the Netgear was superior in all but the web GUI.
The EA6900 was much better than the last few Linksys AC routers.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E