Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 problem with firmware update

Follower
Follower

R7000 problem with firmware update

I received an email on 02-02-16 informing me of the update. I attempted to log on using the sites listed in the email but was unable to do so. I opened Genie but received an error message that no router was connected.

I have the R7000 set up as an access point and it works great. Is this setting causing these problems? Do I need to concern myself with the updated firmware?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
dkoch2
Aspirant

Re: R7000 problem with firmware update

Possible Fix??

I couldn't see my network listed anywhere, but I could see neighbors.  

In the "R7000_UM_21Dec2015.pdf" on page 11, 12 in "Table 1. LED and button descriptions (continued)" in the second-to-last row "WiFi On/Off button with LED".

Try this: Push and hold the second-most right button on FRONTj/TOP of router for 2 seconds and until the LED to its right turns on. I waited a while, and then I was able to locate/choose my network in a list.  Used the Genie UI (I think?) to configure.  Sorry, I don't remember all the steps after that. But I could at least select my network to configure.

HTH,

Dave

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

If your R7000 is working good then, DO NOT UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE.  The new firmware has many bugs in it.

Message 2 of 6
dkoch2
Aspirant

Bummer.  I downloaded the 1.0.6 .xxxx FW to iMac  (also, new to Mac stuff).  Now I can't get on my own wireless network.   

Can I revert to the previous FW somehow; I think it was 1.0.2.xxxx?

It wont let me configure anything.  It won't do a factory reset, tried several times.  Did reset, on/off, downloaded some CHK file, that I can't open (iMac).

PLEASE HELP????

Thanks guys,

Dave

Message 3 of 6
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Are you saying that the router is completely unresponsive? The 1.0.6.28 update has been confirmed to cause problems with the 2.4G band, so if your MAC only supports 2.4G network, then you can't connect to it.

In this case, hard wire it to the router via an ethernet cable. If you can get into the web GUI, then use the tools under the advanced menu to flash 1.0.4.28 or 1.0.4.30 FW.

The .chk file is the actual FW image, and that is the one you use to download to the router, if that is what you have. What you typically download from the Netgear support area though is a .zip file which must be unpacked via a unzip program to yield the .chk file.

Message 4 of 6
dkoch2
Aspirant

Hi rpoffen,

Thanks sooooo much for the reply. The router worked fine for a couple years, until I upgraded the FW yesterday. 

Are you saying that the router is completely unresponsive?

Dave--Yes.  I think so. It wont reset.  Under Advanced tab, the Home button on left: the Router Info and Internet Port have green check marks.  The Wireless Setting 2.4 and 5G have red Xs. Guest Networks also have have red Xs.

The 1.0.6.28 update has been confirmed to cause problems with the 2.4G band, so if your MAC only supports 2.4G network, then you can't connect to it.

In this case, hard wire it to the router via an ethernet cable.

Dave- An Ethernet cable connects the iMac to the router.

If you can get into the web GUI, then use the tools under the advanced menu to flash 1.0.4.28 or 1.0.4.30 FW.

Is web GUI the Genie?

The .chk file is the actual FW image, and that is the one you use to download to the router, if that is what you have. What you typically download from the Netgear support area though is a .zip file which must be unpacked via a unzip program to yield the .chk file.

Dave--How can I unzip on a Mac?  

Dave--The folder name I downloaded is "R7000-V1.0.6.18.1.1.83chk". I can't open it, it say exec, and the kind is "Unix Executable File"

My network name is not available in the list of detected networks.  My neighbors are. 

So very sorry for being vague, as I really don't understand all this.  

Message 5 of 6
dkoch2
Aspirant

Possible Fix??

I couldn't see my network listed anywhere, but I could see neighbors.  

In the "R7000_UM_21Dec2015.pdf" on page 11, 12 in "Table 1. LED and button descriptions (continued)" in the second-to-last row "WiFi On/Off button with LED".

Try this: Push and hold the second-most right button on FRONTj/TOP of router for 2 seconds and until the LED to its right turns on. I waited a while, and then I was able to locate/choose my network in a list.  Used the Genie UI (I think?) to configure.  Sorry, I don't remember all the steps after that. But I could at least select my network to configure.

HTH,

Dave

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7