• 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Follower

R7000 - question about best mode to strengthen wifi signal

I have Verizon FiOS and two netgear R7000. I have a 3 level house. The Verizon router/modem is in the middle floor. I notice that the top floor has very good wifi signal and the basement has spotty coverage in one section where I have my gaming pc and consoles setup. I want to put my 2nd r7000 in the basement so my gaming pc and consoles have,etc have very good wifi signal and speed.

What is the best mode to strengthen the basement wifi signal? My limitation is that I can't run an ethernet cord from the main floor R7000 that is connected to my Fios modem/router. The powerline adapter way isn't reliable due to the way the house is wired. It is very spotty.

If I set it up in Bridge Mode (the basement r7000), this just connects me wirelessly from the main floor R7000 right? I can only connect to the LAN ports and not be able to use the Wifi even if I have the same SSID etc.Right?

I saw the Google Wifi Mesh setup and I like how easy it looks to setup and boost signal wirelessly.

TLDR: What is the best mode to boost wifi signal between two R7000 that can only be connected wirelessly (powerline adapter is spotty, running an ethernet line to basement is a no-no since I live in a rental).

Thanks in advance.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R7000 - question about best mode to strengthen wifi signal

@d0lvl wrote:

If I set it up in Bridge Mode (the basement r7000), this just connects me wirelessly from the main floor R7000 right? I can only connect to the LAN ports and not be able to use the Wifi even if I have the same SSID etc.Right? 

Right.  If you wire your gaming PC and console to the basement R7000 working in bridge mode, then this should work.  Any Wi-Fi devices in the basement won't benefit.  Hopefully that's ok.

Message 2 of 2