R7000 real guest wifi

nd54448
Aspirant

R7000 real guest wifi

Hi

Is there any way to make a real guest WIFI network ? (by real I mean whithout letting the guest looking on the LAN, just access the internet).

I have a R7000 and it doesn t seem to work.

thanks

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 real guest wifi

Did you uncheck the option to Allow guests to see each other and access my local network?

Message 2 of 11
nd54448
Aspirant

Hi

Yes, option unchecked (I tried both actually).

Guest see my router, the NAS, etc... 

fw 1.0.7, restarted... same problem

(I am in router mode)

Message 3 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Hmm, well it's either a bug with 1.0.7 or there's something with your setup.  

Can you describe your network setup?  What's wired and what's wireless?  

Is your NAS wired or wireless?  If it's wireless, is it connected to the guest or one of the main Wi-Fi networks?  

Do you have any switches or extenders?  

Does your ISP box have its own wireless network?  Is anything connected to it?

Message 4 of 11
nd54448
Aspirant

Hi

The ISP box has its own Wifi and from this box I go through a switch (GS108POE) to R7000, in router mode.

ISP is 192.168.0.1, wan side of R7000 is 192.168.0.2

LAN 192.168.1.1

(I have DNS 208.67.222.222)

any ideas ?

Edit : I forgot , i have two NAS, wired on 192.168.0.X subnet, and a network printer

from guest wifi I can see internet and all my lan, including the isp modem (and R7000)

Message 5 of 11
TheEther
Guru

If your two NAS boxes are on the 192.168.0.X subnet, then they are on the WAN side of our R7000.  Therefore, it's normal for anything connected to the R7000's guest network to see them.

Do you have something else connected to the 192.168.1.X subnet that is visible to your guest?

Message 6 of 11
nd54448
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for answering.. I think I understand your point.

I don t have other devices on 192.168.1.1

So, back to zero : I have a wifi router (ISP) with a local network with stuff on it.

I need to provide access to guest wifi (not possible on ISP router) to internet but not to my stuff.

is there a way to do it with R7000?

thanks

Message 7 of 11
TheEther
Guru

You have two options.  Pick one.

1. Connect your two NAS boxes and network printer to the R7000.  The firewall on the R7000 will block guests from accessing them.  This is not a great setup because there is Double NAT from two routers: the R7000 and the ISP.  Google double NAT to read up on the downsides.  If the ISP box has a bridge mode setting, consider enabling it.  This will get rid of one level of NAT.
  2. If your ISP box has a guest network, then enable it.  Disable the R7000's guest network.  Consider enabling AP Mode on the R7000.  If the ISP box has poor wireless, then this may not be a satisfactory option.
Message 8 of 11
nd54448
Aspirant

@TheEther wrote:

You have two options.  Pick one.

1. Connect your two NAS boxes and network printer to the R7000.  The firewall on the R7000 will block guests from accessing them.  This is not a great setup because there is Double NAT from two routers: the R7000 and the ISP.  Google double NAT to read up on the downsides.  If the ISP box has a bridge mode setting, consider enabling it.  This will get rid of one level of NAT.
  2. If your ISP box has a guest network, then enable it.  Disable the R7000's guest network.  Consider enabling AP Mode on the R7000.  If the ISP box has poor wireless, then this may not be a satisfactory option.

Hi

Thank you for your effort to help me out. 

For the option 1, not so good. the ISP box is connected to two other boxes (TV, and so on), I can not put it in bridge mode or I loose TV, VOD, phone.

The ISP box does not have any Guest network.

is there a possibility to limit the guest access through "iptables" or other commands, which I don't know much ?

regards

Message 9 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Who is your ISP? Some ISP boxes have a pseudo-bridge mode that key you use a router without disrupting TV, VOD and phone.
Message 10 of 11
IrvSp
Master

My ISP's modem when put in Bridge mode didn't harm the TV signal or Phone at all. Original one I had that had a problem, Motorola Surfboard 6852 I recall also had wifi that would be disabled. Then my R7000 was the only wifi provider and everything worked fine. When I had a problem with that router it was replaced with 2 individual modems, a Surfboard 6141 for internet (no wifi capability) and a Scientific Alantic for phone (cable connection split between the 2). I don't understand why you can't do that?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements