R7000 requires many power cycle attempts to boot.

Kashiko
Aspirant

R7000 requires many power cycle attempts to boot.

I have a 4yr old Netgear R7000, been running rock solid, 24/7 for the past 2 years because it is power by a UPS. However, I powered it off to relocate into another room and oddly it wouldn't work anymore after plugging back in

• Can't access 192.168.1.1 via Ethernet or have any wifi signal/ssid.
  • Desktop ethernet clients with default 169 address meaning DHCP isn't working
  • Manual static IP doesn't work meaning router is kaput or hasn't fully booted
  • Power LED is a very dim amber/orange/red color. Should be bright white. Netgear troubleshooting color status shows amber color as the device in booting stage. Guess it is stuck booting? Althought, it looks more like a faint-dim red color led than solid amber.
  • 30-30-30 reset button method doesn't work

I was about to throw in the towel troubleshooting and buy a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X as a replacement, but it started magically working again on my last attempt  powering it on.

Here is the super weird behavior, it only starts working again after repeated power cycling, like lots of power cycling, took me 30 minutes of constant cycling to get it working each time the router has been powered off. When it works properly the power LED goes bright red, blink a bit, and turns solid white. I can tell if it failed to boot after a power cycle attempt when it goes light amber/red color.

Router stays functional with out problem once I am able to boot it up fully. However, once powered down it dies again requiring tons of power cycling once more.

So, what is wrong with my router? Anyone with more insight able to explain this behavior?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
antinode
Guru

Re: R7000 requires many power cycle attempts to boot.

> [...] Power LED is a very dim amber/orange/red color. Should be bright
> white. [...]

Have you checked the (or tried a different) power adapter?

Message 2 of 12
Kashiko
Aspirant

The r7000 power adapter output is rated at 12v 3.5A, I don't have any other power adapter above 2A, any other way to check?

Message 3 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] I don't have any other power adapter above 2A, any other way to
> check?

Sure, but I don't know what else you don't have.  You might (briefly)
try an adapter with a lower current rating.  If the R7000 works better
with a 2A adapter than it does with the old 3.5A adapter, then that
would be a clue.  Car battery?  Voltmeter with some suitable dummy load
(some car light bulb(s) (40W)?) to test the old adapter?  Many things
are possible.

In any case, getting a new power adapter could be cheaper than buying
a new router.

Message 4 of 12
Kashiko
Aspirant

I'll give that a try next time I need to power the router off.

It is working at the moment, as long as I don't turn it off, it ran for 2 years straight off a UPS prior so fingers crossed.

Message 5 of 12
Kashiko
Aspirant

So I found a different 12V/3A power adapter to test with, but no different. I still need to repeatedly power cycle many times before it fully boots up.

When it doesn't boot up properly I noticed it never reach the stage where the power led turns amber; just remains a very faint/dim red color.

Message 6 of 12
William10a
Master

Possible a problem with the power circuits in the router itself is running or has been running very hot or  a odor from the router lately ?

Message 7 of 12
Kashiko
Aspirant

It is warm to the touch, but not hot. Don't smell anything

Message 8 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@Kashiko wrote:

I'll give that a try next time I need to power the router off.

It is working at the moment, as long as I don't turn it off, it ran for 2 years straight off a UPS prior so fingers crossed.

There is a clue! No UPS now? Could your line voltage be 'dirty/noisy', too low, or too high for the power supply? Can you put a UPS on it?

Message 9 of 12
Kashiko
Aspirant

It is still on the same UPS, has always been.  Tried it without UPS same issue.

Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Did you update to the latest offficial release, .28 by any chance?

I think I saw a few with a turn on problem with that release? I had a problem with it, it didn't power up after the install, power light stayed 'what I call' orange. Powered it on and off a few times and it booted up. Then installed the prior one and had no problems, it booted fine after install automatically. So I used the router to install .28 again from Genie. Same thing? Had to power cycle it a few times with the power button.

Well, after a week or so the router power LED was orange. Power cycle brought it back up... happened a few time and I figured it was dying so I got a new router.

I suspect the firmware now, but I'm happy with the new R8000 I got. The dual 5Ghz radio's on Smart Connect works well for me. Maybe if you are on .28 might want to try going back one release (hotfix came out after  I switched routers)?

I too am on a UPS???

Message 11 of 12
Kashiko
Aspirant

I haven't touched the router configuration or updated anything since I set it up the first time 4 years ago. Worked fine powering up each time until recently, but last I turned it off was 2 year ago.  Don't think it is firmware issue, but scared to even try updating. Considering it takes 30min+ of powering cycling on/off before it boots up fully; might perma brick.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E