Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 router firmware not automatically updating

pharbrian
Star

R7000 router firmware not automatically updating

For several months now, my R7000 router will not update automatically, despite having the radio button checked for automatic updates. Moreover, when checking for updates through the router's browser administrator interface, it reports that no updates are available despite an updated firmware being available on the R7000 support page.
I am able to update the firmware manually by uploading the firmware file after downloading it from the support website.

Please fix this issue, so the router will stay up to date with the latest firmware and not require manually updating it with each new firmware.

Thank you.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

> Please fix this issue, [...]

Considering that there have been four general releases in the six
months since V1.0.9.88_10.2.88, plus a "China Only" and a "Hot Fix", and
no one at Netgear has done anything about the repeated complaints, I
wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for action.

Message 2 of 4
microchip8
Master

Considering the very sad state of NETGEAR firmware, I wouldn't enable Auto-Update even if you pay me. It's a nice way of bricking your router. Do a manual update. At least then you can follow the process and take action if something is fishy

Message 3 of 4

@microchip8 wrote:

Do a manual update. At least then you can follow the process and take action if something is fishy

This is sound advice regardless of your views on Netgear's firmware, which certainly leaves lot to be desired on some devices.

And manual updates are best done with a wired connection rather than over wifi, which has a habit of dying at crucial moments.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Manual updates also let you read the release notes before you dive in. You may want to skip an update that removes an essential (to you) feature in the cause of delivering some sort of useless new "toy" that Netgear can charge for.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7