Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 slow 2.4ghz (but fast 5ghz)

crodv
Aspirant

R7000 slow 2.4ghz (but fast 5ghz)

I found this thread which is pretty old ... I have the exact same problem - I guess I would have to buy a new router too :S

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000 slow 2.4ghz (but fast 5ghz)

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

2.4Ghz speed depends on device support and design. Most devices will cap out at around anywhere from 50Mpbs to 100Mpbs, depending upon device design and support. 

2.4Ghz speeds will never see same speeds as 5Ghz. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html
https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

How slow is your 2.4ghz?

Reason I ask is that 2.4ghz is a slow network and sensitive to interference. Its not supposed to be as fast as 5ghz. but it broadcasts further and through more materials. 

So saying its slow, its just saying its acting like it supposed to. but describing what actual speeds you get much help determine if its functioning as it should, or if its running actually slower. 

Message 3 of 7
crodv
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer, I noticed that firmware version is V1.3.2.134_10.1.66, If I am not mistaken the most current firmware version is 1.3.3.152, I'm surprised because I have auto firmware update configured, so I assumed I'd have the most current. I will have to upgrade the firmware and see if that helps (will do it tonight). About the ISP and Modem, I actually got an upgrade from coaxial modem to a optical fiber modem, in both cases I experienced the same situation, with coaxial modem I had a speed of 100mbps (2.4 ghz was getting around 50mbps), now with fiber optic modem I got 200mbps (surprisingly 2.4ghz is getting around 50-60mpbs) - so I am don't think this is a modem issue, I actually tested the speed in my NG router using the app and it gets the 200mps.

I agree 2.4 is going to be slower, specially because I can see like 5 neighbors networks, but is it acceptable to get only around 25% of my speed (50mbps out of 200mbps) ? 

Message 4 of 7
crodv
Aspirant

I get 200mbps in 5ghz and about 50-60mbps in 2.4ghz ... There is a lot of interference as I can see like 5 neighbor wifi networks. I am not sure if 25% of my total speed is normal under these circumstances. I have a bunch of devices connected to 2.4ghz (mostly firesticks, smartplugs, vacumm robot, etc), would it help if I move them to 5ghz and free up my 2.4 ghz network? I also have a guest wifi in 2.4ghz I am not sure if this causes more interference.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Yes. hitting 50mbps over 2.4ghz is around what you can expect. Especially if you have neighbors around. 2.4ghz is a much slower network and its speed ratings are much more overblown than 5ghz. 

Your firmware version can be upgraded to the 1.0.11.136 but the version you listed (1.3****** ) is for a different router. 

So check what router you have. You might have clicked on the R7000P version and not the R7000. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

If your devices have 5ghz, put them on that network unless they're on the peripheral of your coverage. thats the only time you might see the 2.4ghz work better than 5ghz. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7