Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 slow download speed

wimkt
Tutor

R7000 slow download speed

Hi,

My ISP upraded my cable connection to 500mbps. As I connect directly to the modem I recieve around 500mbps, when I connect through my R7000 router the speeds drops to around 250mbps. The technician from my ISP says the problem is the router (wich seems obvious). 

I find alot of posts from other users with the same problem. I don't have the time to search every post related to this problem to find the solution. So my question is: what is the most up-to-date solution to this problem ?

Thank you

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
wimkt
Tutor

I enabled QoS, updated the data base, ran a speed test, disabled QoS, rebooted my router.

Unfortunatly still the same testresults, around 350mbps

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 32

All Replies
aabshire
Apprentice

Wired or wireless connection to the router?

wrote:

Hi,

My ISP upraded my cable connection to 500mbps. As I connect directly to the modem I recieve around 500mbps, when I connect through my R7000 router the speeds drops to around 250mbps. The technician from my ISP says the problem is the router (wich seems obvious). 

I find alot of posts from other users with the same problem. I don't have the time to search every post related to this problem to find the solution. So my question is: what is the most up-to-date solution to this problem ?

Thank you

Message 2 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

We speedtested with a wired connection.

The download speed drops with 50% (from 500mbps (modem) to 250mbs(router)). We even installed a new cable, wich eventually did not solve the problem;

Upload speed stays the same

Thank you

Message 3 of 32
aabshire
Apprentice

I get 420 MB from my 400 MB service with my R7000.  What firmware version are you on? Do you have another pc/laptop you can test with to compare?

wrote:

We speedtested with a wired connection.

The download speed drops with 50% (from 500mbps (modem) to 250mbs(router)). We even installed a new cable, wich eventually did not solve the problem;

Upload speed stays the same

Thank you

Message 4 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

I tested with my pc, mac mini and laptop. All 3 around the same testresults (250mbps - 280mbps).

I haven't done anything else other than installing a new cable.

I have never tested before the cable upgrade, but I was a little disappointed to see a result of 250mbps as my modem provides 500mbps.

I'm on the latest firmware: V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

Message 5 of 32
aabshire
Apprentice

The latest firmware is:  V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 for the R7000

https://kb.netgear.com/000053870/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-26-Hot-Fix 

Also you are connecting via a ethernet card/connection of the PC, mac mini & laptop and not a usb/ethernet connection correct?  (USB 2.0 is limited to 250-300 MB)

Message 6 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

Oh, I checked the firmware but the r7000 says there are no updates. I will manually install the hotfix.

I am connecting via the ethernet card/connection.

I will reply back after the hotfix

Message 7 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

Ok I installed the hotfix wich is a slight improvement (testresults show 320mbps)

Message 8 of 32
IrvSp
Master

Check the QoS setting. Some people have found they have to ENABLE, run the Speed Test, and then disable and reboot the router. Quite possible it was 'linked' to your old speed and hence limited the connection. YMMV....

Message 9 of 32
aabshire
Apprentice

Also update the QoS database.  I was told be an NG engineer that there may have been some "bad" settings in it.

Message 10 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

Ok, thank you both for the reply.

I will get back to you this evening after applying the settings above.

Message 11 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

One question:

Is there any order in enabling/disabling and updating the QoS database ?

Message 12 of 32
aabshire
Apprentice

No you can actually update the databased before you apply.  You have to click "Enable QoS" in order for the Update Database to show up. Update it. Apply the Enable, once finished, uncheck "Enable QoS" and Apply again

Message 13 of 32
IrvSp
Master

wrote:

One question:

Is there any order in enabling/disabling and updating the QoS database ?

If you do NOT have it enabled, you must to be able to update the database. That is not the only thing you should update though. The SPEED TEST should be done as well.

I suspect a fault in the flash that even if you do not enable QoS that speed test data is still active. I'd think it gets updates only when the router is  reset to default or you run the speed test? If you merely swap out a modem for one with faster speed (or change the incoming Internet connect to the modem) it will not be updated. Just a guess, could be wrong, but retesting the speed I recall some saying it helped?

Message 14 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

I enabled QoS, updated the data base, ran a speed test, disabled QoS, rebooted my router.

Unfortunatly still the same testresults, around 350mbps

Message 15 of 32
jaegerj
Aspirant

I am having similar issues. My upload speed is stuck around .4MBPS and it should be 3.0MPBS. I can get 3.0 up when I plug directly into the modem so it is the Netgear.

I had the latest firmware-had the issue.

I installed the hotfix - performance got worse-- .07MBPS

I installed the previously released firmware - nothing is better.

The download speeds are fine. The upload speeds make it hard for me to even post to this site.

Message 16 of 32
jaegerj
Aspirant

I am having similar issues. My upload speed is stuck around .4MBPS and it should be 3.0MPBS. I can get 3.0 up when I plug directly into the modem so it is the Netgear.

I had the latest firmware-had the issue.

I installed the hotfix - performance got worse-- .07MBPS

I installed the previously released firmware - nothing is better.

The download speeds are fine. The upload speeds make it hard for me to even post to this site.

Message 17 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

Update:

I think it actually worked, but.. I'm getting 490mbps , 440mbps , sometimes in the middle of the test the speed drops to 300mpbs and then back to 450mpbs..

I notice that the download speed is very unstable, upload speed is stable (while testing, the speedtest hits 40mbps in a second and holds this speed during the whole test)

Message 18 of 32
Twoopy
Aspirant

What about a hard reset?

Message 19 of 32
jaegerj
Aspirant

Hard reset yesterday. Had to rename everything and set the passwords back. Still having the issue. Is ot broken? Anything else?
Message 20 of 32
Twoopy
Aspirant

Other than rolling the firmware back to an older one - nope

Message 21 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

Please start your own topic, as this is not related to my problem wich is solved by the way (I decided to take peace with the unstable download speed)

Message 22 of 32
Twoopy
Aspirant

Wouldnt really call that a fix in the traditional sense. Guess only support can help you

Message 23 of 32
wimkt
Tutor

in fact it is because the download speed is twice as it was before

Message 24 of 32
ScheurMaus
Tutor

Hi all,

I have a 500 Mb. fibre connection. On fibre modem directly speedtest 530 Mb. With latest firmware loaded on R7000 160Mb~200Mb. (?) Talking about a speed difference. Reverted back several firmwares to check which is the highest which still gives the good speed. To be honest reverting back to firmware V1.0.7.6_1.1.99 or lower that did the trick by me. Every firmware higher than this just breaks down your speed in half or more. Note this version has a security fix you'll need. So the firmware programmers need to check what tehy did wrong. They have limited somehow the speed and carried on programming with a faulty base code

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7