Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 slow wifi

Peanut64
Aspirant

R7000 slow wifi

I have the R7000 nighthawk wireless router.

Im using Comcast for my internert.  (their blast pro level)

Using speedtest my hardwired PC computer download speed is 180mbps. 

My son with highspeed gaming graphics card in a gamer PC if fully satisfied for online gaming, including live tournaments.

Using the netgear R7000 my wireless devices get only 30 mbps.  Again using speed test website.  Using the comcast speed test it shows in the 20's. 

Simple, short online videos can be slow to low to load.  Webpages spin at times.

Just replaced my Comcast modem with their latest and greatest.

Again, wired is flying.  Wireless is slow.

I had downloaded the lastest R7000 firmware and no improvements.

Im not a techie at all. 

Other that had network passwords for both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz I didn't do anything to configure the Netgear router.

I assume its smart right out of the box. 

Suggestions please. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 slow wifi

Yes, don't use auto channel. Use a Wi-Fi scanner like the one in the Netgear desktop Genie program, or Vistumbler or Acrylic WiFi to find the least congested Wi-Fi channel around you.

Better yet, connect to the 5 GHz network. 5 GHz has less range, but it's much faster than 2.4 GHz at close to moderate distances.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Make sure you use WPA2-PSK [AES] security, if possible. Try changing the Wi-Fi channel. Try connecting at 5 GHz. Remove or turn off any devices that could interfere with Wi-Fi, like baby monitors or microwave ovens.

What kind of wireless devices do you have? They may not be capable of running faster than 30 Mbps.

Message 2 of 4
Peanut64
Aspirant

Im using a brand new HP spectre laptop and a lenovo yoga plus samsung tablet and samsung smart TV. 

I have 2.4 channel set to auto.  Is that bad?

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Yes, don't use auto channel. Use a Wi-Fi scanner like the one in the Netgear desktop Genie program, or Vistumbler or Acrylic WiFi to find the least congested Wi-Fi channel around you.

Better yet, connect to the 5 GHz network. 5 GHz has less range, but it's much faster than 2.4 GHz at close to moderate distances.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7