Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 spotty 5G performance

wedgef5
Initiate

R7000 spotty 5G performance

I've had a R7000 for a few months now. Initially, everything was pretty good performance-wise. Recently, though, we've started having a problem where some devices on the 5G network have good throughput (>200 Mbps w/200 Mbps service), while others (at the same time) are barely usable (<5 Mbps). I've tried changing channels, which seems to have the effect of changing which devices are working well or poorly. I can never seem to get all devices happy at once.

I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with what channel we're on, but rather the NG firmware. I just yesterday noticed that we're on the now-pulled v1.0.10.90_10.2.90 firmware. I'm thinking if it was so bad that NG pulled it, it could be a possible cause of our issues. I'm wondering if I should roll back, and if so, to what version?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Matt

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 spotty 5G performance

The R7000 has had major firmware issues. the agreed upon stable version is the .42 version of the firmware. 

downgrade to that over a hardwired connection, factory reset the router afterwards and then manually install. don't install from a a backup configuration. 

Try that and see if it helps

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The R7000 has had major firmware issues. the agreed upon stable version is the .42 version of the firmware. 

downgrade to that over a hardwired connection, factory reset the router afterwards and then manually install. don't install from a a backup configuration. 

Try that and see if it helps

Message 2 of 5
wedgef5
Initiate

That seems better, at least initially. Thanks for the help!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 5
jd5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgive me...I want to try the fix...how do I go about "downgrade to that over a hardwired connection, factory reset the router afterwards and then manually install. don't install from a a backup configuration" ??  

your help is much appreciated. Thaks

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

https://www.routerloginsupport.com/question/2074/how-do-i-downgrade-the-firmware-of-my-nighthawk-r70...

when you're installing, don't use a backup. just do a standard manual install. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7