R7000 (stock) Terrible lag in Facetime - Any recommended QoS settings?

Hansaplastique
Aspirant

R7000 (stock) Terrible lag in Facetime - Any recommended QoS settings?

I'm recently a proud owner of the NetGear R7000 Nighthawk, and so far I'm loving it ... I'm actually experiencing a 10% increase in throughput compared to my old wireless router (ActionTec).

One problem I've experienced so far is that Facetime lags enormously.
Where as I never had any problems with my antique ActionTec, I'm not experiencing a significant lag between video and audio.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction - maybe one or the other QoS setting that I should have done?

I've updated the firmware to the lastest version (V1.0.3.24_1.1.20), yet the problem remains.

Any tips, tricks or helpfull infor (I couldn't find anything in this forum) would be greatly appreciated.

Note: On either end of the conversation equipment and connection remained the same (except I that I replaced my old WiFi with the R7000). I've tried it at different times during the day, but the lag remains.
Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 (stock) Terrible lag in Facetime - Any recommended QoS settings?

I used a r7000 for three weeks without ANY QOS and Face time worked fine.
Message 2 of 15
fax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried to disable/UNtick the WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings?
Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

WMM is part of WIFI standard, disabling it will not improve anything. It will revert the router's wifi to less than G, go for it.

Last time I spoke to netgear engineering they said they are thinking of removing the option to disable.

LOL
Message 4 of 15
Hansaplastique
Aspirant

I flashed DD-WRT (Kong) on the R7000 and the lag is gone ...
So ... I'm sure I'm overlooking something ...
Message 5 of 15
networking
Aspirant

searay,

are you saying that disabling wmm slows down the router?
Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, The last paragraph recommends leaving it enabled. Don't take my word go ahead and try it. Reboot to get full effect after changing it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm
Message 7 of 15
fax
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am just reporting what NETGEAR support suggested and it worked!
Nothing to loose to try it. It may or may not work for you, I can finally use QoS without major slowdowns Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 15
networking
Aspirant

searay,

thank you VERY much for the info! I had no idea that the wmm would affect overall speed. I appreciate the info :-)
Message 9 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

There may be some combination of settings in which it helps. I've yet to find it. I would be curious to know what you find when trying it. If your speed is G or less I don't think you would even notice the drop.

I dumped my r7000 after 3 weeks so can't check what it's help menu says, but here is what the r6300v2 says. As usual netgear does a pi$$ poor job of not explaining what happens when this is disabled.

WMM (Wireless Multimedia) is a subset of the 802.11e standard. WMM allows wireless traffic to have a range of priorities, depending on the kind of data. Time-dependent information, like video or audio, has a higher priority than normal traffic. For WMM to function correctly, wireless clients must also support WMM.
Message 10 of 15
networking
Aspirant

You said you got rid of the r7000. Did you go with a different new router or just sticking with the r6300?
Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Using two R6300v2's for the moment which are still on the original FW release for over a year. I'm waiting for the WRT1900AC, I pre-ordered one last week. It cost me $40 more than I paid for the r7000 with free 2 day delivery. Hopefully it works out, if not I'll return it too and wait for the r7000v2.
Message 12 of 15
Lexist2112
Luminary

searay wrote:
Using two R6300v2's for the moment which are still on the original FW release for over a year. I'm waiting for the WRT1900AC, I pre-ordered one last week. It cost me $40 more than I paid for the r7000 with free 2 day delivery. Hopefully it works out, if not I'll return it too and wait for the r7000v2.

The R7000 has been rock solid for me on the latest FW.Smiley Very Happy

That makes 2 of us for the WRT1900A preorder. I'm sure the unit will have it's growing pains and there will be many beta testers. The silver lining in all this is the open source community, in building great FW.
IF the unit does as what the Linksys team has advertised, then the R7000 will be re-purposed in the network(AC wireless bridge)
Message 13 of 15
networking
Aspirant

searay wrote:

oh, that linksys router looks very nice! I will be interested in how it works out. of course the r7000 has impressive specs and we all know it has quirks
Message 14 of 15
dwhite00
Aspirant

I've had a R7000 since the first part of the year. I have struggled with a regular, brief speed reduction, almost like a quick throttle, that would interrupt video streaming. It would briefly pause every 30 secs or so.

Within a couple of days enduring this and searching for similar issues without success, I have been using KONG DD-WRT and this has resolved this issue. There is very regular updates, but there is a little bit of learning curve to understand all of the abilities and settings.

Anyway, I have been using V1.0.3.49_20140314_ReadyCLOUD for a couple of weeks now without the "throttle" issue. The only thing that stopped this from happening was turning the QOS off, however, WMM is still on for 2.4 and 5GHZ. I will continue to use this firmware version unless the issue starts again.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E