Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 stuttering internet connection, keeps disconnnecting

MBG0707
Aspirant

R7000 stuttering internet connection, keeps disconnnecting

I've had the Nighthawk r7000 router for three months without any issue for recalling. The past couple weeks however, my connection has been hiccuping. I mean that the router will stop connection of all devices to the internet for a usually short period of time, and then reconnect. During that time, I've ran test connections that show I can still obtain an IP address from the router, but fail to connect to the internet. 

The first few times this happened, the disconnect was long. I contacted my internet provider who said there wasn't anything wrong on their end but they could see zero activity. They suggested rebooting my router, which fixed the problem for that evening. The next time, the disconnect was not long enough for me to have to reboot and did not occur again that night. Now, it happens almost hourly- just long enough to halt anything any device is doing, wait a few minutes for it to pick back up and resume. 

This is what I have tried so far:
I've updated the firmware with the latest, 1.0.9.26_10.2.31
I've scanned local channel traffic and changed to ones that aren't being used
I've ensured the DDNS and QoS are not active, and there is no scheduled blocking
I've changed the cat5 cable connecting the router to modem with a new cat6

I've reset the router

I have not switched to third part firmware because I have read no where that a specific one helps with my issue. I am not opposed to it, but I am not interested in changing things that are not currently an issue, which is all I have been able to tell they do.

I will admit, I am not the best at researching these kind of issues. I try reading forums and googling solutions to the point where I feel like I'm finding the same non-soultions over and over, lost in a maze of unhelpful tips. 

This router was working fine a month ago, how do I get back to that? Thank you, in advance.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MBG0707
Aspirant

Re: R7000 stuttering internet connection, keeps disconnnecting

Looked into the Intel Puma chipset ordeal and what I saw suggested that the problem I’m experiencing is comparable to what occurs in affected modems. So I bought a new one, it’s been a week and no problems.

Thank you for everyone’s help!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router by chance? 

Any wifi neighbors near by? Scan to see how many and what channels they are using? 

What channels are you using on the R7000 router? 

@MBG0707wrote:

I've had the Nighthawk r7000 router for three months without any issue for recalling. The past couple weeks however, my connection has been hiccuping. I mean that the router will stop connection of all devices to the internet for a usually short period of time, and then reconnect. During that time, I've ran test connections that show I can still obtain an IP address from the router, but fail to connect to the internet. 

The first few times this happened, the disconnect was long. I contacted my internet provider who said there wasn't anything wrong on their end but they could see zero activity. They suggested rebooting my router, which fixed the problem for that evening. The next time, the disconnect was not long enough for me to have to reboot and did not occur again that night. Now, it happens almost hourly- just long enough to halt anything any device is doing, wait a few minutes for it to pick back up and resume. 

This is what I have tried so far:
I've updated the firmware with the latest, 1.0.9.26_10.2.31
I've scanned local channel traffic and changed to ones that aren't being used
I've ensured the DDNS and QoS are not active, and there is no scheduled blocking
I've changed the cat5 cable connecting the router to modem with a new cat6

I've reset the router

I have not switched to third part firmware because I have read no where that a specific one helps with my issue. I am not opposed to it, but I am not interested in changing things that are not currently an issue, which is all I have been able to tell they do.

I will admit, I am not the best at researching these kind of issues. I try reading forums and googling solutions to the point where I feel like I'm finding the same non-soultions over and over, lost in a maze of unhelpful tips. 

This router was working fine a month ago, how do I get back to that? Thank you, in advance.

Message 2 of 7
MBG0707
Aspirant

The modem is an Arris TM1602.
As far as I know there is no built in router.
There are neighbors using WiFi, primarily on channels 11, 6, 1, and 153. Other channels being used by at least one other person are: 9, 136, 44, 36, 2, and 10.
I am currently using channels 4 and 149
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to set 2.4Ghz to 1, 6 or 11 primary channel, not 4. 4 is an overlapping channel using in conjuction by the wirless radios. Main channels to use are 1, 6 or 11. 13 if your in a European reagion and the router has this extra channel. USA and Canada models will not. 

FYI, your model modem maybe effected by Intels Puma chipset problems documented here:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Might change this out at some point. 

Does the router have radio power put putting settings found under Advanced/Advanced Wireless settings? If so, you might set manual channel 11 first then power the power out put from high to medium and test, then try low. This will help lessen the interferenes with your nieghbors using those primary channels. 

@MBG0707wrote:
The modem is an Arris TM1602.
As far as I know there is no built in router.
There are neighbors using WiFi, primarily on channels 11, 6, 1, and 153. Other channels being used by at least one other person are: 9, 136, 44, 36, 2, and 10.
I am currently using channels 4 and 149

Message 4 of 7
MBG0707
Aspirant

Did not know that about the channels. I'll change it.

My modem is on the list, I will look into the chipset issue and see if the problems it is known for are related and replace it. Is there a suggested modem approved by Spectrum I should lean towards?

The router does allow adjusting the radio power output, but I have to type out a numerical value, there isnt a High Med Low option. There is the Fragmentation length (236-2346) and the CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347). Both are set currently at highest, 2346 and 2347 respectively. Should I enter the halfway values? Or maybe a bit above?

Message 5 of 7
MBG0707
Aspirant

port stats.jpg

Message 6 of 7
MBG0707
Aspirant

Looked into the Intel Puma chipset ordeal and what I saw suggested that the problem I’m experiencing is comparable to what occurs in affected modems. So I bought a new one, it’s been a week and no problems.

Thank you for everyone’s help!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7