R7000 sudden WiFi speed issues

ickythump
Aspirant

R7000 sudden WiFi speed issues

This weekend I noticed that internet access seemed slow.  I ran speedtest a few times and was seeing speeds in the range of sub-1Mbps up to 30Mbps on downloads, and about 5Mbps up.  We have 100Mbps down/10 up.  I thought it was strange, but figured it must be something like interference or network congestion.  

This morning it persisted, so I ran speedtest using a wired connection and got the numbers I was expecting.  On the WiFi front, I plugged in an old router and its numbers matched the wired numbers on the R7000.  The issues is definitely with the R7000.  I've tried the following with no success:

- Change WiFi channels.

- Downgrade firmware (was running 1.0.4.30_1.1.67 and tried both 1.0.4.28_1.1.64 and 1.0.4.18_1.1.52)

- Changing router placement to a more open area.

- Experiment with different DNS settings.

Anybody experience anything like this?  I noticed this morning that when I ran speedtest, there was a strange high pitched "whine" noise made by the router.  When it's not doing high speed download, this noise isn't present.  With the seemingly random issue, I worry that something hardware related has malfunctioned in the router - conveniently right after the warranty expired.

Message 1 of 2
ickythump
Aspirant

Re: R7000 sudden WiFi speed issues

Weird... I re-enabled QoS (WMM on both bands and upstream QoS) and the speeds shot back up.  Disabling QoS was actually the first thing I tried (forgot to mention that in the original post).  Not sure what exactly fixed the problem, but seems to be good now.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E