Re: R7000 suddenly dead

black_mesa
Aspirant

R7000 suddenly dead

Hi all, apologies in advance if there's already a thread going on about this - I pored through 12 pages of search results with just the "R7000" keyword as an effort to make sure.   The closest thing I found was one post from a year ago that didn't get any replies and hence was closed due to inactivity:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/R7000-constant-cycle-is-it-dead/m-p/1446329

However I seemed to have experienced a similar if not the same problem just last week.   Woke up one morning, internet down.   Traced to router, which I tried the following in order of succession (to no avail):

1. Login to check status and maybe reboot it: page timed out
  2. Power cycle: router would enter a cycle of light patterns similar to that described in the referenced post above (didn't do an exact check, but after watching for several minutes it definitely looked like a repeated pattern of lights - they never "settled" to the usual pattern when it's working fine and connected)
  3. Factory reset: and this is the disturbing part, the router would IGNORE that I'm pressing the reset button, no matter how long I held it, whether I did it while powered on or did it before powering on.   It would simply repeat the light pattern described in step 2 indefinitely (after a few minutes my finger got tired of holding the paper clip that was keeping the reset button down)
  4. Did a bunch of online research about "bricked R7000" and located some techniques to flash the firmware using a tool called TFTP2, set up my PC to fixed IP and tried to locate 192.168.1.1 -- COULD NOT CONNECT, at this point I didn't proceed to the next steps of the command line (figuring if I can't even see it...)
  5. Thinking this is heading for eWaste, I thought of one last ditch effort to ask on this forum what my options might be.

I've restored my internet using a Norton Core, and recently picked up a X6s WiFi extender so I'm back up.   I just wanted to do one last check if this R7000 is heading to the eWaste bin or not.   Would be a shame if it could actually be fixed and provide some value and I didn't try that path before junking it.

Another immediate thought I had during step 3, which was a bit chilling, was: did my router just fall victim to VPNFilter?!   I did a recent firmware update so I thought I was good, since that also follows with a reboot which the FBI recommended.  Hence I didn't think much of it after, but now ... 

Thanks for any help!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 15
80njc80
Apprentice

The post you refer to details a third party firmware issue so it might not be a good comparison.

At what length did you try access the router via the browser i.e. did you try different browsers, devices etc?  When you first noticed this problem did the LEDs provide any clues???  The hard reset button not working as expected is interesting - 10 seconds is sufficient to hold in.

You could always try another program to flash the firmware:  e.g. "firmware upgrade utility v3.6.8".  Other users have had success.  Let me know how you go...

Message 2 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] Traced to router, [...]

"router" depends on its power supply.  Did you check (replace) the AC
adapter?  (These things don't have a "Main B Bus Undervolt" annunciator,
and low supply voltage can cause many unusual symptoms.)

Message 3 of 15
black_mesa
Aspirant

@80njc80 When I tried step 4, I was using my Macbook Air with a direct line to the router.   In order to set up a static IP, I had to configure the network settings and add a new "location" for "thunderbolt to ethernet" since it needed an adapter to connect.   At that point while connected and the router powering up I could see the connection switching from green to red, and based on that I could suspect it was cycling in some way.   Maybe I can upload a short video to show the cycling of LEDs, it definitely doesn't look like normal -- would that help?   I haven't tried that other firmware utility, will see if that helps.

Thanks!!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 15
black_mesa
Aspirant

@antinode I have not suspected the power supply, very interesting.   Will check that out too and let you know.

Thanks!!

Message 5 of 15
80njc80
Apprentice

OK.  Other users have reported issues flashing the R7000 with the recommended TFTP process Netgear details.  The aformentioned method is just an alternative that has worked in the past.  Usually this is a last resort when it is readily apparent the firmware has become 'corrupt' for whatever reason.  I just do not know why your unit just stopped working unless you were in the middle of an upgrade process that did not complete or major hardware problems have come to surface from a power failure or the like...

Message 6 of 15
black_mesa
Aspirant

@antinode I just tried a different power supply and got the exact same behavior.   This new power supply had the same voltage but higher rated current so as to make sure there would be no shortage there.

@80njc80 While it was cycling through its light pattern I thought I'd document some approximate timings.  Please see my attachment on the timings, the router goes through some kind of power up sequence of lights, then starts repeating the pattern indefinitely.  In total, the pattern repeats after 6 "steps" each with a timestamp ... although the last step would alternate between 3 and 6 seconds every two cycles.   I just did this by eye and so my recordings are approximate.  I'll see if I can make a connection to try a firmware upgrade.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 15
80njc80
Apprentice

Thanks for the constructive feedback...  it's refreshing to see.

Its interesting that neither the power nor the internet LEDs turn a steady white.  The power LED is the biggest concern and the possible source of the problem.  This can indicate a hardware issue or currupt firmware - the latter would have a blinking power LED.  Try flashing the firmware and see if you have any success.  It maybe fruitless where a power issue is evident.  Other than that, opening the unit and seeing any visible signs of an issue maybe needed.

Message 8 of 15
80njc80
Apprentice

I should add that if it is a power issue and the firmware flash fails during the process then you may 'brick' the unit that currently is only experiencing power issues...  It's a risk.  Are you running the latest firmware anyway???

Message 9 of 15
black_mesa
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!  When I get a chance later today I'll try the firmware upgrade and let everyone know.

Message 10 of 15
black_mesa
Aspirant

@80njc80 My last reply just crossed with your latest note.   In answer to your question, I can't recall exactly but it wasn't more than a few weeks ago I did a firmware update.  I usually prefer to reboot the router via the admin page, and was going to do it in response to the VPNFilter suggestion that was publicized.   When I logged into the router I saw a notification that an upgrade was available so I applied it, which seemed successful since it rebooted and internet was restored as normal.   It wasn't until exactly on July 4 last week when I woke up in the morning that the router was discovered in this condition.   The night before internet was working just fine (we were watching Netflix shows until about midnight) ... so sometime in the early morning this must have happened.   I didn't exactly check which version of firmware was installed, but I'd assume based on the context I would be running the latest?

Message 11 of 15
80njc80
Apprentice

Nonetheless, the firmware you are running is either the latest or near enough to justify it is not firmware related.  Additonally, the R7000 was operationall prior to the probelm arising indicating it was previously working as expected.

Maybe a power surge, power failure OR device malfunction is causing the power issue.  It might be something else completely!  Let's see if other forum members have any additonal thoughts...

Message 12 of 15
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Black_mesa

If your unit is still not responding you may want to check your warranty coverage and contact our support.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 13 of 15
DeonS
Initiate

I see there are quite a few people in the same position as me... For the second time in just 2 months, my NETGEAR Nighthawek AC1900 (R7000) has suddently stopped responding and basically become a paper-weight.

The first time, I was able to flash the firmware and finally, after 3 hours I was able to rectify the issue.

This morning, again the device died.  I was surprised to see how many people are encountering the same issue and even more surprised to see that I have no support from NETGEAR (no call, chat etc.), how little Netgear is doing to solve the issues or even to respond to posts within this community.

2 questions to the community (and maybe even to Netgear):

1.  Do I really have no support?  
  2. Why would I ever consider buying another Netgear product if there is such poor support (and reliability) for their products?

Message 14 of 15
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello DeonS

I can get you in contact with support send me a PM and I can get your Details.

DarrenM

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements