Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 upgrade to V1.0.7.6 breaks smart devices

michintexas
Aspirant

R7000 upgrade to V1.0.7.6 breaks smart devices

I upgraded my firmware to V1.0.7.6 on my R7000 and connections to all my smart devices were broken and I cannot re-set them. I have tried rebooting the router and that didn't work.  I then re-set my devices to factory settings but I cannot connect to the network. Did something change in the firmware that affects smart devices? I have multiple devices with issues but we can use Wemo light switch for this discussion.

I did not take note of the previous firmware version so have not downgraded yet.

Thanks in advance.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Did you reset the router to factory default also?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Did you reset the router to factory default also?

Message 2 of 11
michintexas
Aspirant

No, I didn't. That'll wipe my SSID and network keys, right? I'll give that a shot now...

Message 3 of 11
netwrks
Master

Yup, resets everything to factory default. You will ned to reconfig the roter from scratch..

Message 4 of 11
michintexas
Aspirant

yep, that did the trick - thanks! It seems odd that re-setting to factory is a required part of taking a firmware upgrade. Is that normal or a glitch?

Message 5 of 11
netwrks
Master

Normal.. IMO, it should be done every time you do a firmware upgrade (that's my rule when I run these routers). Allows for new drivers, etc, to load properly, Especially if you have had a router a long time, and have only done one or two updates. Huge candidate for a strange operating router. Anyway, good to hear it worked out for you. Enjoy!

Message 6 of 11
tivoboy
Guide

But man, its' such a PIA to reset EVERYTHING.. and there is no log of what was changed, QOS, port forwarding, address reservation, etc.. can't they make it easier to comply with FW updates and resets, help us A LITTLE.

Message 7 of 11
netwrks
Master

Here's the release notes..  http://kb.netgear.com/000036470/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-7-6

When you go to the Netgear site to download firmware, to the the right of the firmware name, there is a little down arrow. Ckick on that, for Realease Notes..

Message 8 of 11
sir_bazz
Guide

@tivoboy wrote:

But man, its' such a PIA to reset EVERYTHING.. and there is no log of what was changed, QOS, port forwarding, address reservation, etc.. can't they make it easier to comply with FW updates and resets, help us A LITTLE.

It's not mandatory to do the reset, and as far as I can tell, there's no real rhyme or reason that dictates if you will need to perform the reset process or not.  Release notes for the early firmware versions, (for the R7000 at least), used to contain a line about doing the 30/30/30 reset but it that was dropped as a requirement from the upgrade process years? ago.  Current release notes say that you should write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually.

My experience has been hit and miss as I haven't had to perform a reset following a firmware upgrade since going from R7000-V1.0.3.61_20140605_QA, (a 2014 firmware release), direct to R7000-V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 and now to the current firmware. Happy to report that the router is solid as a rock.  Had lot's of issues with every attempted upgrade inbetween though, and a reset would make no difference so always ended up rolling back to R7000-V1.0.3.61_20140605_QA.

For that reason, my advice for this router at least, would be to suck it and see before performing the reset as it won't always help with fixing issues and it's not always guaranteed to fix issues either.

Message 9 of 11
netwrks
Master

As with everything in life, YMMV..

Message 10 of 11
tivoboy
Guide

sure, but it begs the further question.  how HARD would it be to create a log file of all the changes made to the router from stock config?  I would think that would be pretty easy.  Actually, the backup file should have some of that data.  If they REALLY want to encourage people to do full resets and RE-DOS of all their settings (this is a ton of settings for some people) why couldn't they just make a downloadable log file of changes to config?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7