Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 v1.09.12_1.2.23 DHCP function failing

nhinkle
Apprentice

R7000 v1.09.12_1.2.23 DHCP function failing

Since upgrading to this firmware version two weeks ago, the router's DHCP function has failed twice; that is, it stopped issuing/renewing dhcp leases to attached devices.  Rebooting the router gets DHCP back.  Last time it happened was on 11/20, happened again today.  This router has been working adequately for over a year.  The DHCP fails on both the wired and wifi networks.

Unfortunately, the router clears the log on reboot so I can't see anything there (I will have a system setup with a static IP in case it happens again so I can at least attempt to connect to the router before rebooting next time).

Is there a known issue with DHCP and this firmware version? 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
nhinkle
Apprentice

Re: R7000 v1.09.12_1.2.23 DHCP function failing

In persuing the DHCP issue, I ended up having to get support from Comcast.  My modem was badly provisioned and the line in from the street was off so there was a lot of problems.  Since that is fixed, I don't expect further problems.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi nhinkle,

Reset the router and reconfigure it manually.

Message 2 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Are you using BHN/Spectrum as your ISP by chance?

Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@JamesGL, well, I have determined and PROVED this is NOT a ROUTER problem.

After a few calls and tries of rebooting and even replacing the modem the ISP suggested I try connecting a wired PC directly to the Modem.

Did that this morning. PC's IPCONFIG shows a 2 hour IP Address lease period. Just the modem and PC, nothing else connected. Modem was doing hourly RENEWs and TIME SYNC's.

Finally reached 2nd level support at my ISP. We talked it over, he look at the modem log, and confirmed it was a problem and was NOT anything on my side. Either a line or server problem or a misconfiguration somewhere. Line Tech coming tomorrow to look and try to debug everything he can to pinpoint the problem, then open a ticket for the line people to handle.

Progress...

Message 4 of 7
nhinkle
Apprentice

I haven't had the DHCP problem recur yet.

After my last reset it took it several days to connect to an NTP server and get a valid date/time.  When it first connected to the internet the NTP time sync failed and it defaulted to January 1, 2015.  OPENVPN complained and failed (of course, bad time).  The next time it reconnected to the internet it came up with the date October 3rd even though I reset it in late November. There are a slew of internet connected messages for approximately 20 minutes with a non-routable IP address (192.168.100.10) until there is an internet disconnected message followed by an internet connected message referencing my correct ISP supplied IP address.  Then no messages for a long period of time until a correct NTP time sync today.

Bad time synchronization would definitely throw a snag into lease aquisition and expiration.  I didn't see anywhere in the administrative interface for specifying NTP server or for forcing an NTP resync.

I haven't had a recurrence of the DHCP problem in the past week, so I'll just keep an eye out for it as it seems to be quite sporadic.  My ISP is comcast.

Message 5 of 7
nhinkle
Apprentice

A further update, I just applied the v1.09.14_2.25 firmware.

The log after the reboot shows the firmware initialization, the OPENVPN ntp time synce error message (Jan 1, 2015), internet disconnect and connected messages with a November time stamp (Nov. 7, 2017), followed by a NTP sync message with the correct date and time.

Message 6 of 7
nhinkle
Apprentice

In persuing the DHCP issue, I ended up having to get support from Comcast.  My modem was badly provisioned and the line in from the street was off so there was a lot of problems.  Since that is fixed, I don't expect further problems.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7