Re: R7000 wifi dropping connection constantly

Shankarvs
Tutor

R7000 wifi dropping connection constantly

Frustrating problem with No support from netgear..

My Netgear router  keeps dropping all connections multiple times a day lately. I tried factory resets, MTU change, channel change... blah blah.. NOTHING seem to work.

NetGear wants more money to even answer my question!

Can someone help?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 31
William10a
Master

@Shankarvs wrote:

Frustrating problem with No support from netgear..

My Netgear router  keeps dropping all connections multiple times a day lately. I tried factory resets, MTU change, channel change... blah blah.. NOTHING seem to work.

NetGear wants more money to even answer my question!

Can someone help?

Just the wifi droping out or both wifi and the wired lan ports as well?

Both bands or just one and if so which one?

was the firmware updated or any other changes before this happen?

I'am going by the posting that it is a R7000 router correct?

Message 2 of 31
hvancann
Tutor

Same problem here. Maybe it is a configuration issue?

What is the solution Netgear has to offer. Or do we need to throw the product out of the window to never return to Netgear again?

You can't work with a router than cuts of the connection multiple times a day, WIfi off / wifi on works, but that is not the way we want to work, don't we.

Message 3 of 31
hvancann
Tutor

Message 4 of 31

@hvancann wrote:

Btw, I updated the firmware to V1.0.9.12_1.2.23

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 31
Shankarvs
Tutor

All connection, WIFI, hardwire everything..

Message 6 of 31
Shankarvs
Tutor

Ofocurse did all these Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 31
hvancann
Tutor

Same here, the reason I went and install the new firmware, was BECAUSE OF the problems; it's not that I got the problems after the firmware, they were there before...

H.

Message 8 of 31
Shankarvs
Tutor

still no luck. very annoying. regretting buying netgear product!

Message 9 of 31
Shankarvs
Tutor

Still no luck. Regretting buying this router Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 31
hvancann
Tutor

Like I said before : "throw the product out of the window to never return to Netgear again". That's what I am going to do, if they don't help out quickly and efficiently.

@Shankarvs wrote:

Still no luck. Regretting buying this router Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 31
Shankarvs
Tutor

Problem is.. no one @Netgear seem to care.. I am spending freaking 500$s to hardwire.I cant use this piece of junk even as a switch!

Message 12 of 31
Ladyj11
Aspirant

Yup I'm having the same issue.  It keeps dropping multiple times a day.  I've had comcast come out 4 times and I've replaced my modem twice, still it is dropping.  I may just do what you say and throw out this Netgear router.  The support sucks if they can't provide a suitable solution that seems to be affecting a lot of people.

Message 13 of 31
NateH
Aspirant

I am having this issue multiple times a day as well...

Firmware Version 
V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

Message 14 of 31
McBerz
Initiate

Really frustrating having the same problems. Just randomly drops out a few times a day both wired and wireless.

Need to restart the router to get it working again.

Tried upgrading to latest firmware, but with no success.

Seems like an expensive router can't get the basics right.

Should send my wife to talk to you guys at head office....she will let you know how she feels about the product.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 15 of 31

Tried upgrading to latest firmware, but with no success.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware. This seems to be especially true of wifi problems.

That's just one thought. There are others, but you don't give us much information to go on.

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Do that, and while you are about it provide more details of what is happening, and you get more customised advice.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 16 of 31
hvancann
Tutor

This is the type of reply a customer does not want. How many people have already reported the issue? It is a general problem. And not really support when saying: " provide more details of what is happening, and you get more customised advice." and "the official support team will be too busy ..." etc. Great to offer help, but Netgear fails big time here. I returned my R7000 got my money back, bought a Sitecom that installed - and works like a charm.

Message 17 of 31
rogier64
Luminary

Try to install the latest Netgear firmware, it might solve a lot of problems, but if not, install a third party firmware like XWRT-Vortex. It will solve your problem once and for all.

Message 18 of 31
BonBou
Aspirant

Had the same problem for weeks with my Netgear AC1900 bought last September at Costco.  Thought first that it was failure from Cox. They replaced the line from the house to the street and also worked on the line in street.  I did a factory reset of the M/R, re-installed it  and disconnect was less frequent for 6 hours before starting again every 10 to 15'.  Cox Supervisor told me to rent a M/R from Cox for a month to see if this would stop the on and off connection.  And it did. I took the Netgear M/R back to Costco and got a full refund. I bught a new AC1900 and still need to install it.  But I am wondering if I souldn't buy another brand than Netgear?

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 19 of 31

@BonBou wrote:

Had the same problem for weeks with my Netgear AC1900 bought last September at Costco.

Is that AC1900 the R6900 mentioned in the footer? Knowing this might help other punters because there is no such thing as an AC1900 model number in Netgear's catalogue. AC1900 is a wifi speed thing.

Netgear makes half a dozen or more AC1900 routers, along with a raft of modems and cable modems.

Just another user.

Message 20 of 31
Customer-X
Star

Buy another router from another brand. The R7000 firmware is a wreck.

Notthing but problems since the day i bought it and Netgear is only looking at their new models. They only thing theyre good in is marketing.

Message 21 of 31
RTPvet68
Aspirant

Nothing but intermittent problem. We lose connectivity to my Lifix, Wemo, FireTv, Fire Sticks and Harmony Hub, smartthings and other devices. Even my Arlo cameras have difficulty. 

My iPhone and iPad also experience problems. 

Using most ast current release. 

I have my smoke detectors, leak senors  that can not be relied on using this router. 

I’ve reset the router numerous time. Not worth the effort. Highly unreliable device. 

Message 22 of 31
IrvSp
Master

You tagged onto a 5 month old thread, not hardly to be looked at.

You provided limited information too, about all I can determine you 'might' be on an R7000 with what you think is the last release. Can't tell for sure unless you post it.

Not sure how you reset the router and how you set the settings again either?

Can't tell how intermittent nor if it is on all bands and wired as well?

"Difficulty" doesn't mean much to me, what happens? What is the error? Matter of fact, what is any errors have you gotten back?

Also, what debug have you tried other than 'reset'?

What settings do you have, QoS, Traffic Meter, VPN, UPnP, Parental Controls?

Is there any interference on the channels you are using and have you tried using different channels.

Is Internet Speed test results OK?

I suggest you start a NEW TOPIC and explain as much as you can in detail. That way it will get noticed and maybe even a fix/suggestion.

Message 23 of 31

@IrvSp wrote:

What settings do you have, QoS, Traffic Meter, VPN, UPnP, Parental Controls?

I would also investigate the state of Smart Connect.

I suggest you start a NEW TOPIC and explain as much as you can in detail. That way it will get noticed and maybe even a fix/suggestion.

A new topic is also more likely to catch the attention of the official support team, which is probably too busy keeping up with new issues to pay much attention to something this old.

Just another user.

Message 24 of 31
McBerz
Initiate

Or I can suggest the only fix that worked for me.....take that junk router to the store and get your money back.

This router has issues.
Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E