R7000 wifi dropping connection constantly

KingAmI
Guide

Re: R7000 wifi dropping connection constantly

I created an account, on Christmas Day just to applaud and give you kudos for that response. I have a Nighthawk S8000 switch that has behaved ok s far. I was also shopping for a new router so I ended up getting the R7000. Performance hasn’t been so great and have had a few drop-outs already and it’s only 3 days old. A quick Google search shows how horrible Netgear “Smart” routers are. This unit might be going back immediately. Customer Support is disgraceful and useless. What I don’t understand is that in just an hour or two of researching an issue, I have uncovered a treasure trove of negative reviews, how is this company still in business??? I wish I googled a specific brand or model before I went to the store. Most YouTube videos offer a first impression and basic tests, but rarely do they show any long term results. But, all is well that ends well. This will be going back for a full refund if it acts up and I’ll NEVER buy another Netgear product again. And if even 10% of the people that purchase these products did that and spread the word, then Netgear would have no choice but to get their act together or go out of business.
Message 26 of 31
2002bnowak
Aspirant

I agree this route is weak and continues to drop WiFi connection. I have changed channels, checked power supplies and software updates. The Netgaer tects are no help. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 31
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello 2002bnowak

Have you tried to revert back to the .42 firmware?

DarrenM

Message 28 of 31
KingAmI
Guide

Just an update: I flashed the router with a custom DD-WRT firmware and I haven’t had any further issues with the router so far. I also sat the router on a laptop cooling pad as I believe most hardware failure is due to heat. The Netgear router’s factory firmware is simply GARBAGE. Flash it with the Vortex DD-WRT Firmware and see if it helps you as well.
Message 29 of 31
JediOcho
Aspirant

Could you provide the link to the Vortex DD-WRT Firmware that you used for the R7000?
Message 30 of 31
KingAmI
Guide

It’s wctually the xwrt vortex. I confused it with the original ASUS WRT Merlin. The Vortex version of that software is geared towards other non-ASUS routers like Netgear’s. Since installing I haven’t had drop-outs or other issues. The UI is soooooo much better. Here’s the link: http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/
Hope it helps to resolve your issues as well.
Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E