Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 wifi drops

chopin70
Virtuoso

R7000 wifi drops

Hi,

We all know the issues with wifi and R7000.

However, I was only expieriencing a few drops a day on 1.0.9.12 and decided to update to V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

- Now, every few minutes, my Android devices hang on internet browsing: 3 Android phones and one Smart TV

Streming TV is useless now, and I am obliged to toggle data instead of wifi 

- Android OS ranges from stock Android 8.0 on a google device, to Android 7 and Android 4

- My LAN windows 10 PC and Netgear NAS have no issues

As usual, the wifi connection to router seems fine, it is just the internet browsing that hangs

Nothing in logs to help as usual

I did a hard reset obviously. The router is now near useless and since the issue is more than 3 months and not fixed, I am wondering what to do. Always appreciated Netgear products, but the recent FW issues are really wired and with little fix from NG despite mods and techs answering the threads

Any official staement on what is the situation ?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
chopin70
Virtuoso

@JamesGL

I fixed the issue, really f**king stupid fix. I had to narrow my google search to xda:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/help/problem-wifi-note-4-update-t3499009/post69616505#post69...

Hey everyone I was able to temporarily fix this issue by turning off wifi scanning in (Settings > Location > Improve Accuracy). I heard somewhere on here it might have been a recent app update that is causing the issue.

I normally always have this setting off. I verified, and all my devices had it on back. I guess on each Android update they try to dig again in our privacy...

Disabling it fixed all disconnections on my Galaxy Note 4. Newer devices like Android 7 and Android 8 phones have no issues with this option enabled

Hope it can help Netgear fix it also on their side. In fact, this fix cannot resolve my Android TV disconnections. A TV firmware update made things better on TV but did not fix completely the disconnections

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 27

All Replies
chopin70
Virtuoso

hum

in effect, my Oreo device have no issues, while the Samsung Note 4, which have no updates is still broken. Wired, I will follow up in a few weeks to be sure how they behave

Message 2 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

When you say you performed a "hard reset" was that with the button?  I had issues after my first attempt with this update.  I tried rolling back to earlier FW versions but still had issues with 2.4 G connections.  I reinstalled the update, did a hard reset with the button and used the "Erase" option under the Advanced:Administration:Backup Settings tab to "Revert to Factory settings".  I forgot to save a settings backup file so I had to reconfigure everything manually.  But, bottom line, my router has been up for days without any drop outs etc.

Message 3 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

After a few days, here is my feedback:

- Android 8 google device: no issues

- Android 7 Galaxy S7: no issues since last updates, a few weeks ago I think

- Android 6, galaxy Note 4, last update Nov 2017: cannot browse, no data every few minutes

- Android 4 Samsung Smart TV, no update since 1 year: cannot watch DLNA TV over wifi without drops every 3-5 minutes

- I have no chromecast devices and drops happen when no other devices are enabled except router and smartphone

So, my TV was never updated but was working perfectly until end 2017. Now, it fails like my Note 4

Definately, some new update in wifi router dropped compatibility with Android devices

Updating Android devices, at least my Galaxy S7, fixes what the router firmware broke

So, I am left with to useless devices, a TV and a smartphone

Connecting my Note 4 to other wifi networks at work and public places works fien too

Maybe it is an issue with Android, but clearly, it can be fixed through wifi router, since my Note 4 works perfectly on other wifi networks

If I can help debugging it, would be great. I prefer changing router than my TV

Message 4 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

@chopin70 wrote:

After a few days, here is my feedback:

Thanks for the update.  My system was stable for almost a week after updating to V1.0.9.26_10.2.31.  I started having issues with dropping connections.  Looking at the log it looked ike my devices were being denied due to incorrect security key. I have a variety of devices, Android, Apple, Roku, Firestick, Windows PC, and a sprinkler controller.  Anyway, I wound up deleting the network from each device and reconnecting with a "new" more secure WPA2 key.  After about two days things are working good again.  You might try using the "forget network" option on the devices that are not working and try reconnecting by reinstalling the key.  

Message 5 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

Cosmetic solutions...
I reconnect tv every week and it completely forgets key. Changed key 2 weeks ago. TV and Android Galaxy Note 4 drop every 3-5 mn. Only turn on/off wifi on device or switch 2.4/5 ghz bands resumes connection

I am desperate...
Message 6 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

Also, why the R9000 threads don't report this issue while there are tens of such reports with R7000
Message 7 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

chopin70, If your TV forgets the key, I'm wondering if it's losing power.... Something to try, I have my primary network setup with the same name & key for both bands,  I have my guest network setup with another key but different names for 2.4G & 5G bands,  I "connected" some of my devices to both thinking if one drops the device might automatically connect to the other.  I have noticed at least one device is switching on its own.  Not sure why. Nothing logged.  This is not really a fix but a bandaid.  I have my channel select set to manully select my preferrred channels.  I don't know if this is helping but I think it does.

Message 8 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

TV forgets password because I manually switch to guest network during the open days, and back to local on weekend. It memorizes only one wifi network at a time.

Maybe your issue has nothing to do with what I am referring to: wifi connection seems fine, it just doesn't get any data. Behavior looks same as what is reported by the "MDNS packet storm", but my Note 4 has the latest google play services v12.x and it didn't fix any thing.

Android won't switch wifi SSID since it doesn't detect a wifi drop, just no data is passing and we get an offline error in browser. I already have both SSIDs configured on my android device.

No issue on wifi networks outside home. My S7 was fixed on some recent Samsung firmware updates. So, as I said, it seems a fix can be achieved either by Android OS (my Galaxy S7 and OS8 device), or by router (my Note 4 is able to connect without issues on other wifi routers outside home). My TV didn't get any Android update since a year, yet it started to drop data connection at the same time my Note 4, after some router FW version updates.

I am just wishing some Netgear tech comes and asks for some logs or some of the people having same issue answer if I can fix it by changing router, and to which brand I can migrate.

Did Linksys, ASUS or other Netgear models fix this issue ? Why most have it fixed by google update in january while not in my case for 2 devices. It seems definately different from the MDNS bug.

Message 9 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

no, they are different

Message 10 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

Samsung UE32J6370SU

Message 11 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

hum, never noticed there are updates. Seems like it is newer than what auto-update offers

Will try and give feedback

Message 12 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

1- reverted back to FW v1.0.9.12_1.2.23

for now, Note 4 and TV seem fine, never so long... Will report back tomorrow on longer testing

2- once done, I will try updating TV and test newer FW again

Will report back later

Best regards

Message 13 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

1.0.9.12 started again dropping data on my Note 4

--> Back to last FW 1.0.9.26

--> testing TV with latest 03.2018 FW

Will report back

At least it seems that a very old FW that was working for me is not working. Maybe the TV was also updated while I am not aware

Meanwhile, My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 seems out of luck. After hours of google search, all I can find is updating the Google Play Services, which is already done. Anyone can help/hint what should I update or fix, even if it needs root, to stop this wifi issue on my phone ?

Message 14 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

@Case850wrote:

Do you have the same SSIDs for both 2.4G & 5G? If you do, I would suggest you separate them.

I have unique SSID's for 2.4G & 5G guest network. My primary wifi network has the same SSID for 2.4 & 5G.  The instructions suggest this for the "Smart Connect" feature. " Smart Connect selects the fastest WiFi band for your device. For Smart Connect to work, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands must use the same WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password). "

Has this changed? Is there a special format to use with different SSID's o the primary to allow max. data rate?

Message 15 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

Smart Connect was often crappy/buggy. When debugging connection issues, it is better to take it out of the equation. It just adds complexity and other instability factors anyway. Better achieve a working sperate dual band setup, before testing Smart Connect.

Back to my issue: my children didn't report any wifi drop while watching the TV. I will report back in 7-10 days so I can be sure. After that, if TV is fixed by the last TV FW update I did, I will look at the Note 4.

By the way, the TV FW fixed an issue I reported a few months ago: when TV was added to blocked devices, the router admin GUI was no longer responsive/available when TV was turned on. Like if it was hammering the router with connection trials and making the admin GUI unresponsive. Netgear never fixed this flood hang in router (I didn't expect the router to hang when a defective device was trying to connect to it...)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Followup-GUI-not-accessible-when-block...

Message 16 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

@chopin70I think rejected devices may be hammering the network as you suspect.

My grandson fired up his school issued chromebook after two weeks of spring break and knocked almost everything else off the network.  The log shows about 8 devices being rejected due to incorrect security. I had to reinstall the key on his chromebook and reboot the network.  Everything came back up but I think you're on to something.  If a device is rejected and keeps trying to connect, it can knock off other devices.  I previously reinstalled the keys on my devices except that chromebook after the last FW update.  Also, the GUI on the PC app does not show as many devices as the Android Genie app. 

Anyway, I turned off Smart Connect.  I'll monitor and report.

Message 17 of 27
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please check the latest firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000055563/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-28

Message 18 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

Update, I turned off Smart Connect and configured SSIDs as suggested.  Only one rejected device shows in log but it appears there may be a rejected connection attempt followed by a succesful subsequent connection.  The log showed a single rejected attempt whereas previously, I was seeing multiple attempts being rejected over a short time period on time. I would be nice if successful connections appeared in the log.

@JamesGL wrote:

Please check the latest firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000055563/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-28

I installed this update this morning (4/7/18).  Performing well so far.

Message 19 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

@JamesGL

The FW you mention doesn't change anything

Anyway:

- after update TV to latest FW, it seems to work better, one data drop over a week, so it is not kicked off like it used to be

- Galaxy Note 4: still unusable, wifi data drop every few minutes, while connection is good, logs look as always, good. Reset phone didn't fix anything

- Other Android 7 and 8 devices are fine

I will try again longer the Note 4 on another wifi network before throwing the router through a windows Smiley Wink

@douggiese

not to be rude, but your issue has nothing to do with what is discussed here. It is recommended to open your own thread instead of jumping in distracting from main issue

Message 20 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

@chopin70 wrote

@douggiese

not to be rude, but your issue has nothing to do with what is discussed here. It is recommended to open your own thread instead of jumping in distracting from main issue

Apologies, to @chopin70.  I thought we were having similar issues and reporting my experimentation might be helpul to you.

Message 21 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

The issue is same on 2.4 and 5 GHz as mentioned in other threads.

When browsing hangs, it can be resumed instantly by switching 2.4 / 5 GHz bands or turning wifi off/on.

Wifi Analyzer I have installed since a few months. I am alone on the 5 GHz band and only 2 very distant neighbour wifi networks on the 2.4 GHz

Both my 2.4 and 5 GHz bands are at -40 dbm strength, the neighbours 2.4 bands are at less than -90 dbm, so barely detectable

I tried your advise even if not convinced because the issue is also on 5 GHz band. I fixed band at channel 6, which is always empty. Still the data connection is dropped after a few minutes of browsing

I will try another wifi network in a few minutes and report back

Message 22 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

I restored my provider cable modem to router mode and connected to its wifi. No issues at all using my Note 4 for +1h
Back to Netgear: drops data connection every few minutes

1. Actually, after I have updated the Samsung TV firmware, it fixed the issues on the TV partially: disconnections are really rare, once or twice a week while I couldn't watch a movie for a few minutes
  2. My Galaxy S7 was fixed a few weeks ago after a Samsung update
  3. My Note 4 is out of hope since it is no longer supported by Samsung (last update around nov-dec 2017)  and updating Play services doesn't fix the issue
  4. Older Android devices I have (2 Android 5 tablets), have no issues since they no longer received updates since +1 year

So, issue seems, as was supposed through threads, caused by a change in Android firmware by november, but also a failure in Netgear. Update to android or router should fix it. But it seems it is a desperate hope with R7000, after so much months

Message 23 of 27
douggiese
Apprentice

Here's a bandaid that may allow you to continue using your Note 4.  Leave your ISP modem in router mode with wifi on for your Note 4.  Use your R7000 in AP mode for all of your other devices.  Set ISP modem and R7000 manually to different channels and use unique SSID's.  The downside is the R7000 loses some control features in AP mode, ie parental controls.

Message 24 of 27
chopin70
Virtuoso

Sure I am aware of that possibility, however, I need R7000 router functions include VPN and parental control

Still wired why Netgear doesn't aknowledge and fix it. It is not the Chrome cast issue that is fixed by Play services update, and third party wifi routers are fine.

First Netgear router by the way. I am happy with NAS line and its support. But routers support is really bad

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7