• 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 wifi speeds half

I am running an r7000 from my isp modem and another r7000 as an AP and an old Asus n66u as an AP. I was previously on a cable 150/15 internet plan and I would get that from all 3 routers no problem. 

Yesterday i I upgraded to a FTTH symmetric 500/500 service. Using Ethernet I get 500mbps no problem from the r7000. As soon as I test wifi it drops to 250mbps on the r7000.

i have tried changing firmware’s on the NETGEAR products but nothing has gotten me 500mbps. I am currently on V1.0.9.6_1.2.19. I tried a couple of the 1.0.7’s and a 1.0.3 also. No change

any help is appreciated,

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted

Re: R7000 wifi speeds half

If you are saying that you cannot get over 250 Mbps with wifi, remember a lot depends on the wifi clients. Can they get >250 Mbps on other wifi sources?

Then there is the fact that wifi devices rarely reach the speeds it says on the box. There are too many variables in there.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Master

Suspect the reason the hard wired device works is because you have a CAT5e or CAT6 cable into a 1Gbps network adapter. Wireless is a different story.

It all depends on 2 things how fast you can connect. ISP speeds can't be attained unless your wireless device is at least as fast as the ISP speed. So you need a wireless device that can handle at least 500Mbps. Usual connection speed for a Wirless N adapter is 300Mbps, and on that, 250Mbps is quite normal. An AC1200 Network Adapter will connect at 866Mbps, and that would be what you need, such as the Netgear A6210 for instance.

Still I guess the questions should be:

• What is the Network Adapter make and model that is giving you the slow speed?
  • How are you measuring the speed?
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am using some N devices like my MacBook. But my iPhone 7 and iPad Air are both AC devices. I am using all cat 7 cables so I know the cables are good.

I am using speed test.net to test the speeds.

I would have thought that my AC devices should do better than 300mbps. Maybe I am wrong?
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

As for some more information I have 14 devices on the network. All my smart products are on the 2.4ghz network. Printers, switches, thermostat, garage door etc.

All my internet devices phones and laptop are on 5ghz. With the 3 router, AP network I am never more than 15feet away from the router. So speeds should be the max possible.

I just can’t help but think the r7000 is cutting the total speed in half for some reason
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Master

@Jgourliewrote:
I am using some N devices like my MacBook. But my iPhone 7 and iPad Air are both AC devices.

I am not sure all Apple devices are AC but the latest ones are Dual Band and AC. Also they are spec'ed at MIMO, but the R7000 is not a MIMO router, so that may be part of the problem. Check the Apple forums or Google iPhone 7 wifi speeds, you'll find a lot of posts on that subject.

I do know about iPad's as I've had a few. Case in point, I have 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up. When I got my first iPad2 speedtest.com would show only 30+/-Mbps. I got on the Apple Forums and asked why. Basically it was due to the single antennea. Then I got an iPad3, no difference. Now have an iPad Pro, I get 100/10Mbps with no problems. Why, there are more antenna's on the pro...

Also it is possible the slowest device will hold down the speed.

Message 6 of 6