Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 wired and wireless speed issues

l0tech
Tutor

R7000 wired and wireless speed issues

I have 100 MBPS internet service, tested on multiple devices, both wired and over WiFi, when connected to my ISP modem/router. However, when I connect to the Netgear R7000, either wired or WiFi, the connection speed drops to 20 MBPS.

The R7000 is connected via ethernet to the modem. 

I first tried my phone connecting to the R7000 wifi and got low 20's MBPS on speedtest.net. Then I connected my laptop to the R7000 wifi and got the same speed in the low 20's. I confirmed my ISP speed, connecting wired and wirelessly to the modem/router and verified it is pulling over 100 MBPS download.

Back to the R7000, connected my laptop via a wired ethernet connection and the download speed is still in the low 20's, so it's not just a wifi issue with the R7000. I thought maybe it was a bad ethernet cable, so I switched the cable connecting the R7000 to my ISP modem. No matter which cable is used, the same slow speeds are coming only from the R7000. 

Due to past issues with firmware updates and getting bad patches that would cripple my home network, I had not updated the Netgear firmware in a few years. However, as part of the troubleshooting, I just updated the R7000 firmware to V1.0.9.88_10.2.88. This had no effect at all on the wired or wireless speeds on the R7000.

The only thing I can think of is a bad internet port. The crazy thing is it may have been like this for years and I would have never known, since I just switched internet providers this week. My previous provider could only offer us a plan for 18 MBPS and we typically got... you guessed it... low 20's.

Looking for any suggestions on how to get normal internet speeds from this Nighthawk.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 wired and wireless speed issues

1. what modem are you using? if its got wireless, then its a modem/router combo device. you could be in a double nat or the combo device could be limiting speed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2. with changing firmwares, did you ever reset it back to factory and reinstall? if your prior speed was 20mbps and you setup qos, it could have retained those settings. I've read of qos settings being retained even through firmware changes/reboots. that's why its a good idea to factory reset/manually install if you've changed firmwares, changed isp's, or changed speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what modem are you using? if its got wireless, then its a modem/router combo device. you could be in a double nat or the combo device could be limiting speed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2. with changing firmwares, did you ever reset it back to factory and reinstall? if your prior speed was 20mbps and you setup qos, it could have retained those settings. I've read of qos settings being retained even through firmware changes/reboots. that's why its a good idea to factory reset/manually install if you've changed firmwares, changed isp's, or changed speeds. 

Message 2 of 3
l0tech
Tutor

I had not done a factory reset after the firmware update. I just completed the reset and setup procedure and it looks like that's what it needed. Verified I'm now getting 100+ MBPS over wired and wifi connections to the R7000.

I had enabled the QOS features previously and those were still enabled prior to the reset, so that may have been contributing to the issues.

Thanks for your help!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7