Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 wired speed is half of what i should be getting

jcarnere
Aspirant

R7000 wired speed is half of what i should be getting

So i get 1000 mbps from my current provider and when we test a wired connection from the modem to the PC, i get 850-950mbps. When I have the modem plugged into the router and from the router i have a cat5 to the PC, i only get half the speed. I've topped out at about 450 mbps but it never goes above that.

I've disabled the QoS and that helped a bit but it still wont go over the 450 mbps. I'm not sure if there's a setting i need to change in order to get the full speed.

Router is upto date on all updates as well.

All i want is my wired connection from the router to the PC to be the same as the wired connection from the modem to the PC. Or at least close to it.

it just seems odd that i only get half the speed.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure modem is a modem only. 

Factory reset the router either using the routers web page under Advanced/Advanced/Administration/Backup or hit the reset button in back. Do this while you have 1 wired PC connected to the router and the modem online and running. Run a speed test in a browser. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset then run a speed test with out setting up the router or enabling QOS, access controls or Traffic Meter. 

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP modem? 

@jcarnerewrote:

So i get 1000 mbps from my current provider and when we test a wired connection from the modem to the PC, i get 850-950mbps. When I have the modem plugged into the router and from the router i have a cat5 to the PC, i only get half the speed. I've topped out at about 450 mbps but it never goes above that.

I've disabled the QoS and that helped a bit but it still wont go over the 450 mbps. I'm not sure if there's a setting i need to change in order to get the full speed.

Router is upto date on all updates as well.

All i want is my wired connection from the router to the PC to be the same as the wired connection from the modem to the PC. Or at least close to it.

it just seems odd that i only get half the speed.

Message 2 of 7
jcarnere
Aspirant

I'm sorry how do i do a factory reset? I have an Arris SB8200 modem @FURRYe38

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure modem is a modem only. 

Factory reset the router either using the routers web page under Advanced/Advanced/Administration/Backup or hit the reset button in back. Do this while you have 1 wired PC connected to the router and the modem online and running. Run a speed test in a browser. 

Message 4 of 7
jcarnere
Aspirant

that worked! thank you so much! @FURRYe38

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good. Just make sure those options aren't touched as they will slow the speed down. QoS isn't really needed on 1Gb ISP services. Such a high speed should be able to handle various things you do. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
jcarnere
Aspirant

@Case850getting the same as if im plugged in directly to the modem. So i'm between 850-950 mbps download

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7