Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 wireless connection not getting full speed

Kthrift2991
Guide

R7000 wireless connection not getting full speed

I recently upgraded my internet with Spectrum from 200mb to 1gb and upgraded my modem to an Arris SB8200 as well as upgrading my router to the R7000. The connection was showing 245mbps when I was using the 200mb service. My connection has remained the same upon upgrading to 1gb. I connected via ethernet and am receiving the correct speeds when wired to the router, but over 5g I am still only receiving a maximum of 265mbps. I have downgraded the firmware to R7000-V1.0.7.12_1.2.5(required TFTP) and tried R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44(updated through Netgear webapp) with both returning the same results. I made sure QoS is disabled. I understand over wireless I will not receive the same connection as wired, but it should not be a 600mbps difference in a small apartment where my computer is within 30ft of the router. I am curious if anyone has any potential solutions?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@Kthrift2991 wrote:

I've been using speedtest.net, and the server I'm testing on is the closest server to me which is within the city I live in. ---try other servers. sometimes the closest isn't the fastest. 

The walls are primarily just drywall as they are really thin.---pretty standard drywall/2x4. might seem thin but still blocks wifi. 5ghz doesn't penetrate as well as 2.4ghz and its speed drops off quickly. 

The distance from my desktop to the router is approximately 20 feet. ----again, 5ghz speeds drop off faster than 2.4ghz and doesn't penetrate as well. Test with a phone (decent one) by the router and see what you get. 

Wireless adapter in my desktop is an Intel 802.11ac WiFi + BT 5.1 if that is of importance as well. ----intel makes a lot of wireless devices. If you go under your device manager in windows, it should tell you what adapter it is. 

Because 5ghz drops off faster with distance and even quicker with obstructions, the 250mbps might actually be pretty solid where the desktop is at. You might get a bit faster but you'd have to upgrade to an AX router and an AX wireless card in your computer. might not be worth it. What are you doing where you need more than 250mbps? it only takes 25-40mbps to stream 4k. So unless you're moving massive data around, your computer might not *need* more speed. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

For the R7000 over 5ghz, if you have a decent wireless device, you can expect around 300-400mbps. Its not going to go much faster than that over wireless. And that also depends a lot on the device you're testing on. 

After your firmware changes, did you do any factory resets?

If not, try factory resetting and testing with your stock settings. 

Make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled.

Also, try testing on different sites or servers on that site. 

Message 2 of 9
Kthrift2991
Guide

I just did everything you suggested with the same results. If this router is only capable of delivering those speeds, what router would you recommend for wireless connection to get as much of the 1gb I am paying for over wireless? I am unable to move the router and/or modem closer to my computer to use a constant wired connection. 

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

what are you testing speeds on? 

How far from the router are testing from and whats in between (what are the walls made of)?

These are key to finding out if the router is the bottleneck, if the device you're testing on is, or if its a distance/interference issue. 

Message 4 of 9
Kthrift2991
Guide

I've been using speedtest.net, and the server I'm testing on is the closest server to me which is within the city I live in. 

The walls are primarily just drywall as they are really thin.

The distance from my desktop to the router is approximately 20 feet. 

Wireless adapter in my desktop is an Intel 802.11ac WiFi + BT 5.1 if that is of importance as well. 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Kthrift2991 wrote:

I've been using speedtest.net, and the server I'm testing on is the closest server to me which is within the city I live in. ---try other servers. sometimes the closest isn't the fastest. 

The walls are primarily just drywall as they are really thin.---pretty standard drywall/2x4. might seem thin but still blocks wifi. 5ghz doesn't penetrate as well as 2.4ghz and its speed drops off quickly. 

The distance from my desktop to the router is approximately 20 feet. ----again, 5ghz speeds drop off faster than 2.4ghz and doesn't penetrate as well. Test with a phone (decent one) by the router and see what you get. 

Wireless adapter in my desktop is an Intel 802.11ac WiFi + BT 5.1 if that is of importance as well. ----intel makes a lot of wireless devices. If you go under your device manager in windows, it should tell you what adapter it is. 

Because 5ghz drops off faster with distance and even quicker with obstructions, the 250mbps might actually be pretty solid where the desktop is at. You might get a bit faster but you'd have to upgrade to an AX router and an AX wireless card in your computer. might not be worth it. What are you doing where you need more than 250mbps? it only takes 25-40mbps to stream 4k. So unless you're moving massive data around, your computer might not *need* more speed. 

Message 6 of 9
Kthrift2991
Guide

I did learn a lot from this, and as it seems the fastest my computer adapter can get is 433mbps. I've tested with my phone right next to the router and receive the same speeds. I was just attempting to get the most out of the speeds I am paying for. I do game a lot and stream at the same time as well as my roommate working from home where she does send large files back and forth for work. The connection is strong and does not drop off at all when I am gaming/streaming and she is working. Maybe I'll be able to use it all some day when I can route an ethernet cable to the modem instead of having a trip hazard, lol. Thank you for your help. 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

If you're computer has a link speed of 433mbps, its a 1x1 antenna setup in it. you could always look at upgrading your wireless card to a 2x2 setup. 

Also, keep in mind, link speed is different than throughput. Throughput (actual speed) tends to be around 55-65% of what the link speed is. so you're hitting right around that for your laptop. 

Not sure what phone you have to test with or what link speed you have on the phone

Message 8 of 9
Kthrift2991
Guide

The connection is good enough to get me by. I'll look into upgrading the adapter in the future if its needed. Thank you again. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7