Highlighted
Follower

R7000 with Fresh Tomato firmware, no internet over WIFI

Hi there everyone,

I seem to be having two small issues with the tomato firmware. First of all I'm not even going to address why I decided to go with this firmware instead of the official one from Netgear because we are on their forums.

So to my issues:

What I have:
Bell FTTB (fiber to the business/home)
500 symmetrical speeds.
Removed Bell HH 2000 and replaced it with R7000
Configured R7000 with Tomato fw, then updated to FreshTomato as Tomato was giving me very slow speeds (both ethernet/wifi)

Now with FreshTomato everything works fine, I'm getting 560/580 down and up, but only with cable.

Over wifi, no matter how much I tweak the advanced settings for the 2 wireless AP's, I'm only getting about 250 to 280 down, and yes for uploading it does reach around 450.

Also, at work I setup the network with 2 R7000s, same provider, same settings in general.

I have the same problem with WiFi, but also I have another issue.

I setup a 24 port switch where all the lines connect (the people before us had installed an extensive network over the ceiling since they ran payment processing servers).

The switch was working fine with bells modem/router (but of course who is going to keep that crap).

Ecerytime I connect the switch to an ethernet port on the R7000 (main one) the R7000 will allow wireless devices to connect, assign ips, etc) but it does not give them access to the internet.

Please if anybody who has more expertise can share some insights, I am fairly novice with network, can learn very fast but have very limited experience with switches.

The switch is:

TP-Link
4.7 out of 5 stars 618 Reviews
TP-Link TL-SG1024 10/100/1000Mbps 24-Port Gigabit 19-inch Rackmountable Switch, 48Gbps Capacity

It says it can be managed/configured with Unity app/interface. I have not done that yet. Please tell me if maybe a setting on the switch is causing this no internet over WiFi issue.

Best regards,

Nicolas
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted

Re: R7000 with Fresh Tomato firmware, no internet over WIFI

@Tdotnico wrote:

I seem to be having two small issues with the tomato firmware. First of all I'm not even going to address why I decided to go with this firmware instead of the official one from Netgear because we are on their forums.

Netgear does not support third-party firmware. And, while most of the people who respond to questions here are fellows users rather than Netgear staff, there probably isn't a lot of expertise in alternative firmware.

You may get some answers to tour question, but the best place to seek help is where they support your firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Master

You can get decent Tomato help over at this forum https://www.linksysinfo.org/

that's where most Tomato users and devs hang out

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same issue, I have 120 mbps upload over wifi, but 480 when wired into the modem.  I've read that reverting back to router firmware v1.07.12 has fixed the speed issue for other people. suggesting something wrong with the v1.09 firmware, have yet to try myself but will when I get back home today, will report back.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements