jibatron
Aspirant

R7000 with another USB Readyshare question

HI everyone, I got a:

R7000, Firmware: V1.0.9.18_1.2.27, Seagate Backup Plus hub 4TB model # SRD0PV1 or STEL4000100 (not sure which part number you'd like from the box)

So Id like to have this drive connected via USB 3.0 to the router for a local NAS type setup. Problem - it only shows up in the gui when connected to the usb 2.0 port. Its all good as long as i connect it to the 2.0 port but id really prefer it to be on the 3.0 port. This drive does have an external power source which i do have plugged in. I did check the supported drive list provided here and the non hub version of this exact drive is listed as supported. Does anyone have an idea on how to get it to work on USB 3.0?

EDIT: forgot to mention, Ive also rebooted the router from the gui.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 25

Re: R7000 with another USB Readyshare question

The failure of some, perhaps many, USB devices to show up in the USB3 ports is a constant theme here. So a forum search might help, if you haven't tried that already.

Sadly, the conclusion may be that this feature is broken.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

Awe man, this suck. It did seem to me aswell that USB 3.0 seems buggy from the other threads I’ve read hence why I tried to pick a drive that was approved. Well thanks for the reply anyways michael.
Message 3 of 25

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

My own experience is that USB3 is fine with "bog standard" drives, 1 or 2 TB, but get fancy and it all goes wrong.

Then again, I do not consider USB to be suitable for heavy duty storage. I use Ethernet LAN NAS boxes for that.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

Hey case850. Are u thinking that newer firmware could fix issue. I didn’t see anything in the change log for USB support? But never the less I’ll try it. Got nothing to loose. I did check for a firmware update with the built in checker in the GUI but I gueess it didn’t see this firmware. Thanks and I’ll report back
Message 5 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

So even with firmware # V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 its still not being displayed as an "available network folder" I hope netgear can provide an update for usb support. Also this drive wont be used for "heavy" nas use. My purpose for it is to just provide a common storage point for the network to put random stuff on there, thats all. On a bit of a side note, would it be worth it going back to DD_WRT? i switched back to OE firmware with hopes of trying out the "cloud" feature netgear advertises but its looking like thats a fail lol. Once again, thank you for responses.

Message 6 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

i did not perform the 30/30/30 reset but i did reboot it thru the routers user interface ( it sees the drive on usb2.0 so i didnt think doing a hard reset would benifit but i could be wrong here). I havent bothered trying to access the drive thru the network yet because if Im not seeng it as an available drive when im logged into the router via my web browser, i dont see a point in trying to find it. I aslo have waited over 10 minutes to see if the drive would be entually recognized but nope. It did takea few minutes to be recognized on the USB2.0 port so i was hoping it would eventually pickup on the USB3.0 but nope. Im on windows 10 machine connected via cable not wifi to the router.

Message 7 of 25

@jibatron wrote:

i did not perform the 30/30/30 reset but i did reboot it thru the routers user interface

A reboot is not the same as the factory reset suggested by @Case850.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

So I unplugged drive from USB3.0 port. Held reset button for 8 seconds. Waited for it to reboot and then renamed wifi. After all that plugged the drive back into USB3.0 port and waited about 8 mins. Its still not being seen by router. See attached pic:

Screenshot from 2018-02-14 17-14-49.png

Message 9 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

Ya I’m just gunna plug it into the USB 2.0 port and move on. I might try switching to back to dd-wrt or trying xwrt and see if they work. Just sucks that Netgear couldn’t provide a broader USB support. Lesson learned for me. Thank you to you both for trying to help me tho.
Message 10 of 25

@jibatron wrote:
I might try switching to back to dd-wrt or trying xwrt and see if they work.

Recent messages here suggest that doing this can create a major hit on wifi speeds.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

I’ve had dad-wrt for the past 2 years and have always gotten my advertised speed by the ISP on wifi? I don’t have very fast internet tho. It’s only 30mbps but I’ve usually gotten that speed. I do think the range was a little worse but meh. I just wanted to try USB storage and even the cloud feature and the Netgear firmware seemed easier to use but no luck.
Message 12 of 25

The complaints of speed loss were from people with internet speeds in the X00. So you can safely ignore those warnings!

Just another user.

Message 13 of 25
IrvSp
Master

If you Google "Seagate Backup Plus hub 4TB Netgear Router" you'll find many pages. One, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-not-recognizing-Seagate-8TB-Backup-Plu..., seems like others have the same problem?

It also appears that at least for the USB 3.0 port, there is a 4TB limit, but not for the USB 2.0 port? Wondering if some 4TB drives are larger than others is actually size?

I've got a WD 4TB drive and I did have it on the R7000's USB 3.0 port at one time and it did work?

Size for it via CHKDSK is:

3815444 MB total disk space.
2050676036 KB in 113 files.
       112 KB in 49 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    197543 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
1856141988 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 976753919 total allocation units on disk.
 464035497 allocation units available on disk.

Might want to compare the last 3 lines to your 4TB disk, if they are the same size, they should be the same?

One 'suggestion' if you have nothing on it, delete the partition and make a 2TB one and see if the router sees it?

I'd move my 4TB and test again for you, but it is a pain to get under the desk, find the cables and power supply, untangle, untie it and then test it and put it back again. I do know it did work at one time though.

Message 14 of 25
IrvSp
Master

Here is another one to look at, https://community.netgear.com/t5/R6000-Series-AC-WiFi-Routers/AC1750-Model-R6400-Does-not-Detect-Sea..., not the same router, but the same problem. 4 months old, but a Moderator (might try contacting him using the '@' sign) sent the OP a PM and there is no further info.

Message 15 of 25

One 'suggestion' if you have nothing on it, delete the partition and make a 2TB one and see if the router sees it?

Past reports here suggest that ReadyShare does not play nicely with partitioned USB drives.

One partition might work, but it won't see two.

Netgear probably wants you to buy an expensive Ethernet NAS box.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 25
WorldScum
Tutor

On the R7000 the USB 3 implementation is custom. I tried DD-WRT Kong last year. It killed USB 3 completely also WPS. Kong lists that it will never be supported by him. So not being standard USB 3 you will have compatibility issues. I run a 4tb red in a single USB 3 enclosure. With zero problems but with no partitions.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 17 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

Hey guys. The drive is not partitioned but thanks for the heads up on that. When I get home from work I’ll definitely look into seeing the actual size and comparing it to the size u listed (thanks for that btw) and as trying kings firmware again, well I got nothing to loose but some time lol. I was gunna just leave the drive on the 2.0 port but last night I moved a folder with stuff in it and it was brutally slow. Folder was about 130ish mb and windows said it was transferring at approx 1mb/s Smiley Sad lol but that another problem that I’d have to start another thread for so I’ll just try did-wrt and maybe even xwrt if I’m feeling adventurous lol
Message 18 of 25

....but last night I moved a folder with stuff in it and it was brutally slow. Folder was about 130ish mb and windows said it was transferring at approx 1mb/s

That does not look like a USB3 versus USB2 thing.

Just another user.

Message 19 of 25
IrvSp
Master

Don't expect 'speed'. There is a lot that goes into a file transfer. PC sending the file, router sending it to the USB, and notification back to the PC to send another packet. This can be a slowed down by the time it gets the PC to get it off the disk, into a buffer, build the TCP/IP packet, and then transmit it. Depends what the PC is doing, if the disk is being used, and if TCP/IP is busy doing other things as well. Then the same holds true for the Router. What else is going on. How long it takes the USB drive to write the data and signal it is ready for more (I'll assume it can buffer though).

I've seen some SLOW speeds, USB 2.0 around 25Mbps with noticeable drops to much lower speeds in the W10 Explorer transfer graph with more data shown. USB 3.0 isn't even twice that. This is using the wired PC at 1GB connection to the router. Wireless, I'd expect and have seen 1/2 that number. Small files will transfer slower too, as the overhead to start is high.

I just checked, to the USB 2.0 drive, 400MB file, averaged around 21Mbps. Basically the PC and the Router were not doing anything. Your speed is way low...

Message 20 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

Just tried transfering a video from another machine thats running linux and is hardwired to router aswell, not wifi and still terrible speed. Perhaps i have to change some settings in the router. I did just leave everything at its defaults. Ah well thats a whole other problem then what this thread was started for.

Screenshot from 2018-02-15 18-57-23.png

Message 21 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

well even with dd-wrt my drive isnt reconised in the usb 3.0 port but it is on the usb 2.0 port but at least now im getting resonable transfers speeds so im gunna leave it here.Screenshot from 2018-02-15 20-17-03.pngScreenshot from 2018-02-15 18-57-23.pngScreenshot from 2018-02-15 20-27-36.png

Message 22 of 25
jibatron
Aspirant

@Case850 alright thanks. I’ll have to do some googling into that. I have no idea what smd3 does or is lol.
Message 23 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@WorldScumwrote:

Kong lists that it will never be supported by him. So not being standard USB 3 you will have compatibility issues.

Cause are proprietary drivers and interface specs not available to the Open Source community. Same problem is prohibiting the best performance on the Wi-Fi interfaces.

Message 24 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@Case850wrote:

Windows 10 is now defaulting to SMB3.

Not true.

There are conditions when W10 will keep SMB1 working on W10, and also how one put W10 on the PC.

There is 'conflicting' info out there too what W10 does with SMB1. Some MS documents posted says it will not install, others say if it is not used in 15 days it will be removed. Other say if you enable it, it will not be removed.

W10 needs SMB1's Client to be running on a PC to be able to use NET VIEW with the R7000 as it seems the R7000 needs SMB1.

Google "net view SMB1 windows 10" and you'll see the confusion and many posts of this.

This one from the search, https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve..., is actually wrong.

These comments in the above appear to be wrong:

=================

• Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional no longer contain the SMBv1 server by default after a clean installation.
  • Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.

=================

Did a CLEAN install on one of our PC's of 1709. All three components of SMB1 were installed. It also never removed the Client.

=================

In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially. If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves. 

==================

On another PC that was UPDATED to 1709, all three SMB1 components were removed, even though SMB1 via NET VIEW was used.

=============

Automatic removal of SMB1 after 15 days is a one-time operation. If an administrator re-installs SMB1, no further attempts will be made to uninstall it.

=============

This part IS true.

SMB1 also will cause problems with the Master Browser function if ALL PC's do not have SMB1 client active, at least with the R7000 in the network. I've got a whole thread on this in this forum, and I was NOT the only one with the problem of not being able to see R7000 USB shares on PC's and even iPad's.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements