Jeaniene
Aspirant

R7000

It has been dropping out frequently!!
Message 1 of 17

Re: R7000

What has? Internet? Wifi?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 17
Jeaniene
Aspirant

I am losing internet connectivity on both the regular and 5G connection, requiring that I change wireless connections to reconnect. It is a frequent problem, several times an hour.
Message 3 of 17
RO-CK
Aspirant

Hello,

Could you please remember if this issue started since the last firmware update? As I'm having trouble with my R7800 as well

Message 4 of 17

What about the internet connection?

What do the lights look like on the router? Do you have devices wired to the router?

The challenge is to work out if it is a wifi problem or something to do with the internet.

There are various reasons why the wifi will collapse. Maybe there are too many neighbours trying to use the same channels.

One thing to try is to tell the router not to use the Auto setting for the wifi channels.

Look at page 128 in the manual which is somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 17
Jeaniene
Aspirant

Can I take a picture and send it to you? I am getting amber light color that flashes instead of white! Should I just exchange it? I am NOT technological!!
Message 6 of 17

@Jeaniene wrote:
I am getting amber light color that flashes instead of white!

You don't say which light flashes.That could be important.

There is a bit about checking the lights to look for problems on page 189 in the manual, which is one of the documents at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Just another user.

Message 7 of 17
Shiptronic
Aspirant

That is no problem, the problem is thats the router who's no logical Smiley Sad 

I had the same problems.

Its the worst router I ever bought, but to get a steady connection turn to firmware version :  1.0.4.28_1.1.64, and your disconects wil be gone ! 

Suces

Message 8 of 17
Jeaniene
Aspirant

Why do soo many people give such high praises??
Message 9 of 17
Jeaniene
Aspirant

It's the Internet! Amber light is on!
Message 10 of 17
Jeaniene
Aspirant

Sorry.. I don't really know! We bought this past Saturday..
Message 11 of 17

@Jeaniene wrote:
It's the Internet! Amber light is on!

The good news is that it is not the power light that is amber. That really is a sign of trouble.

As the R7000 is a router, it has to cooperate with the modem that goes out and gets the internet. The two devices sometimes get a bit confused. The simplest way to knock some sense into them is to restart the whole network in the order that Netgear specifies in the Installation Guide. That is another of the documents at the end of the link that I posted earlier.

Here's the right order:

1. Turn off and unplug the modem.
  2. Turn off the modem router and computers.
  3. Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  4. Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  5. Turn on the computers.

If you do go down that road, you might like to reset the router to its factory defaults before you go through the process. Page 12 in the manual (see above) tells you how to do that.

Earlier on you said that you are "losing internet connectivity on both the regular and 5G connection, requiring that I change wireless connections to reconnect".

We still don't know if you also lose the internet to anything that is connected by a cable to the router. If the internet stays on there, then the problem is with the wifi bit of the router. There are things you can try to fix that, but first we need to know if it is just the wifi that falls over.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 17
lkelly
Tutor

It will get worse and they won't fix it! I have the same issue, went through three different "support" persons, got case numbers. The second person told me to call back after my last attempt to flash the firmware. If it failed, they would replace the unit. It failed, I called back. Got a very rude punk who refused to send a replacement. Asked for his supervisor. They would not get on the phone, but refused, as well. I paid $700.00 for the thing and I swear I will NEVER buy another Netgear product. I have 2 extenders ($150 each). SO mad at them. Do NOT buy their product! Dropping wifi is a known problem to them and the guy I got was an az!

Message 13 of 17
sktn77a
Virtuoso

I have 5 R7000 routers and, honestly, they are the best routers I have ever owned.  There may be a problem with your router, there may be a problem with the connection between the modem and the router, or there may be a settings issue in the router.  If you can, take it back to the store where you bought it and ask for their help.  Alternatively, you have 90 days free setup support from netgear.  They will take you through the basic troubleshooting.  If all else fails, return it and get a Linksys!

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 14 of 17
William10a
Master

I had a Arris  modem from spectrum that would do that with any Netgear router and some others as well and they also blamed the router but when they replaced the modem  with a newer modem the problem was fixed so it may not be the router.

Message 15 of 17
cmartorelli
Guide

I had a simular problem with my R7000,  I tried a few different netgear firmwares and still I would lose my connection everyweek. I also bought a laptop  cooler fan to put underneath ad I still had the same problem. I switched to dd-wrt firmware and my router runs great now.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 16 of 17
William10a
Master

I know dd-wrt works on most of the older Netgears too still have a wndr3400v1 with dd-wrt laying around makes a great wifi repeater limited only by the age and hardware of the router when powered by a 12 volt battery in the field. It is a shame that the firmware has to be issue today I still remember the early days of electronics happening today sale a product and wait to see what if any thing goes wrong I guess it is throw away world today sorry to see it happen.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements