Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000

johnbrown1979
Aspirant

R7000

ok so i bought this r7000 gaming router as i was unhappy with my isp default router. just a couple of things i have 400mb down and 35mb up. 2 people in my house my girlfriend and me i play online multi-player games e.g cod, pes etc she streams alot on you tube do i need to enable qos and upnp or just qos. qos has like low med high and highest which one is better for ps4. also will there be anyway in the future to only get connected to people near me with r7000 sorry for long post kinda new to these routers thanks in advance for any help. all feedback nuch appreciated. john

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7000

@myersw is spot on. QoS is a thing of the past with today's internet speeds.

PS The R7000 isn't really a "gaming router". (See first message.) It is actually a somewhat long in the tooth standard wifi router. For a real gaming router, think XR500. As ugly as sin and probably three times the price you paid. If the R7000 doesn't come up to expectations, the R7800 is a more powerful option.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
myersw
Master

With the speed you have, my guess is QoS is not needed and has been known to significantly slowdown throughput for some folks. Would not enable unless I was having issues that looked like it might fix.

IMHO QoS was needed in the "old" days when we all had slow links, but not so much now.  

Message 2 of 4
johnbrown1979
Aspirant

ok thanks for replying and thanks for the input much appreciated

Message 3 of 4

@myersw is spot on. QoS is a thing of the past with today's internet speeds.

PS The R7000 isn't really a "gaming router". (See first message.) It is actually a somewhat long in the tooth standard wifi router. For a real gaming router, think XR500. As ugly as sin and probably three times the price you paid. If the R7000 doesn't come up to expectations, the R7800 is a more powerful option.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7