• 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000

My nighthawk R7000  has become unusable after i wanted to switch it temporarily to repeater mode.  Keeps rebooting, does not give ip address and cannot acces webinterface.  Tried reset several times and also manual firmware update as per instructions on the site.  power light stays amber orange.  Once it is on it keeps rebooting and the lan port connected to the computer also drops intermittently.  its unusable anyway as there is no ip address.  Looks pretty desperate......

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R7000

I may need to keep the R7000 connected to a main host router via LAN to LAN ethernet connection to set up the R7000 for repeater mode. It needs a IP address to connect to its UI. As you hae to set up the wireless configuration and have it connect to a primary wireless SSID name and PW so it can repeat this funtion. 

Review the user manual to see how to set up repeater mode. Make sure repeater mode is an option with in the UI. 

Be sure he FW is up to date in router mode first if you haven't updated it.

@Swaen1389wrote:

My nighthawk R7000  has become unusable after i wanted to switch it temporarily to repeater mode.  Keeps rebooting, does not give ip address and cannot acces webinterface.  Tried reset several times and also manual firmware update as per instructions on the site.  power light stays amber orange.  Once it is on it keeps rebooting and the lan port connected to the computer also drops intermittently.  its unusable anyway as there is no ip address.  Looks pretty desperate......

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sorry but I can no longer get into the user interface. Even if directly connected with a lan cable. The router keeps rebooting. Power light stays orange. Does not give up address. Tried reset several times 

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I actually want to use it as a router again. 

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Master

@Case850wrote:

Power LED Stays Amber
When the router is turned on, the Power LED turns amber for about 20 seconds and then turns green. If the LED does not turn green, the router has a problem.

My R7000's Power LED turns WHITE when booting is completed.

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Master

@Case850wrote:

@IrvSp

The information from Message 5 is from the bottom of page 156 of the R7000 user manual. If there is a discrepancy then contact Netgear.

Maybe there are more than one manuals...

This is the one that came with MY R7000, http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf and check page 156...

There appears to be yet another one on-line, https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf and from it on page 156:

========

Troubleshooting
Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000

Troubleshoot with the LEDs

After you turn on power to the router, the following sequence of events occurs:

1. When power is first applied, verify that the Power LED is lit.
2. After approximately 30 seconds, verify the following:
• The Power LED is solid white.
• The Internet LED is lit.
• The WiFi LED is lit unless you turned off the wireless radio.

You can use the LEDs on the front panel of the router for troubleshooting.
====================
Seems clear to me, power light it WHITE. Same as MY R7000 when it is up.
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Master

The information from Message 5 is from the bottom of page 156 of the R7000 user manual dated October 2013, 202-11301-02. It was downloaded from the Netgear website on the 8th December 2017. If there is a discrepancy then contact Netgear.

Strange, that 2nd link above on my reply, https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf

has the SAME date and number, October 2013 202-11301-02 and as you can see the link is from NG? Check that links page 156.

In any event, I have an R7000 and I assure you when on and working it is white.

Yes, there is a contraditory paragraph on that page:

=======

Power LED Stays Amber
When the router is turned on, the Power LED turns amber for about 20 seconds and then
turns green. If the LED does not turn green, the router has a problem.
If the Power LED is still amber one minute after you turn on power to the router, do the
following:
=============

However, that is not the case. The LED is white when the router is working properly. Feel free to contact NG if you wish. Good catch that there was an error in the documentation.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I seem to remember it was white.  No it just stays amber/orange and the router keeps rebooting.  Tried resets and manual firmware update. Nothing works .

Lost cause I think for a router only a few years old !!   I found the invoice so I will take it back to the retailer.  Under Dutch consumer law they have reimburs partly or repair within normal life expectancy.  Hard to beleive this happens because i tried to switch it to repeater mode temporarily.....

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Master

@Swaen1389, my R7000 started to act up. Think I had it for 6 years. Started a week ago as the white LED turned Amber. I had applied V1.0.9.26 and when it went to reboot, it never completed. Thought I had bricked the router. Powered off/on and although it took some time to come on. I had that happen about 2 times, up for a day or two usually, and reverted to V1.0.9.18, but it continued to happen. I tried all the tricks, resets, power off with reset pressed, nothing made it work better than the power off/on. I gave up and bought an R8000. Probably should have gotten the newer model of it but I didn't feel like spending more.

In your case I bet the firmware probably had a problem when you switched to Access Point. It might be recoverable using Telnet (https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP but I've also seen other ways to do it in this forum) by loading the firmware again.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nothing works.  The retailer and Netgear netherlands distributor say it can  not be repaired. They do not even want to try . Appearantly two years is the normal lifetime after which it has no economic value.  Quite amazing.  I will switch to another brand and see if that give me more than three years on a router

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 10