Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P 2.4ghz slow link speed (wifi)

Debz67
Aspirant

R7000P 2.4ghz slow link speed (wifi)

Hi, I have a recently purchased R7000P Nighthawk currently using with a virgin superhub 3 in modem mode. I get 200mbps download from my ISP, and my router manages to get about 190mbps download. Over 5ghz the signal is fine, but over the 2.4ghz signal, it peaks at 72mbps. I have QOS and traffic monitoring turned off and broadcasting on a completely clear 2.4ghz channel. The firmware version for my router is V1.3.1.44_10.1.33.  I have read through many other posts describing a similar problem, and one solution is to downgrade to an earlier firmware version.  Would anyone be kind enough to post a link to the best firmware version to solve this? any other ideas would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Debz67
Aspirant

Hi, I disabled the 20/40mhz option and that seems to have solved my problem. 

Thank you 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
duckware
Prodigy

There may be nothing wrong?  Don't expect more than 50% to 70% of your PHY connection speed (wireless device to router).  See duckware.com/wifi#clientphyspeed and find your PHY speed and report back.

Message 2 of 10
Debz67
Aspirant

Hi Duckware,

thanks for the reply. I should have been clearer. My Phy speed is 72mbps and that's with the phone practically on top of the router, whereas my laptop pulls close to 600 on the 5ghz signal from another room with a brick wall separating it from the router.

Message 3 of 10
IrvSp
Master

As noted already, this might not be a problem?

Band alone, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, is not the determining factor on speed you can achieve. It is the device and distance from the router.

Various devices have different speed limits. A G speed device might not even get above 60Mbps for instance on 2,4Ghz band.

Also the both SSID's can be dragged down if a slower device is connected at the same time, that is an N Speed device that can do 300Mbps and a G speed device.

The 2.4Ghz band shares the channels with many other IoT devices and cordless phones and microwaves for instance that could lower the speed or create interference on those channels lowering the speed.

More specific info on what is connected, how tested, and distance would help.

Message 4 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

Do you know the wifi MIMO capabilities of that phone?  It is connecting now at a 20 Mhz channel 1x1.  Is phone 1x1 or 2x2?

Message 5 of 10
Debz67
Aspirant

Hi, I disabled the 20/40mhz option and that seems to have solved my problem. 

Thank you 

Message 6 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

So you disabled "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence"?  Just so you know, doing so it "bad neighbor" mode.  What PHY speed do you get now?

Message 7 of 10
Debz67
Aspirant

Hi Duckware, 

Yep, now getting 150 Phy. My nearest "wifi" neighbour is broadcasting on channel 1 while I'm on channel 11, so no overlap!

Message 8 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

Well, your phone is still in 1x1 mode (is it an old phone?).  150 is 40 Mhz channel at 1x1.  So you are actually using most of channel 6 and all of channel 11.  Is the wifi on channel 1 20 or 40 Mhz (if 40, it overlaps your 40).

It might be helpful to confirm what is being used.  Use a free app like "WiFiAnalyzer (open-source)" by VREM Software Development to find out exactly what channels are being used.

Message 9 of 10
Debz67
Aspirant

Did use WiFi analyser and there's clearly no overlap.. Neighbours broadcasting at 20mhz...funnily enough it's quite a new phone (honor 9 lite) but doesn't have 5ghz capability
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7