R7000P - Drops Game Connetion After ~2 Hours

IcyComp
Follower

R7000P - Drops Game Connetion After ~2 Hours

I've recently noticed a problem with my router after purchasing and playing a game called Final Fantasy XIV, an online game that requires a constant internet connection similar to games such as World of Warcraft or Destiny. While I first thought the disconnection was random, I started to notice the disconnection would happen on schedule. It takes 120-130 minutes to trigger a disconnection without fail.

My first steps of troubleshooting started with checking the connection to the game's servers, but I maintained a consistent good ping/connection with no packet loss, and had no troublesome servers appear during a tracert to the game server I connect to. I've tried port forwarding the connection and setting a static IP, setting a static IP outside of the DHCP range. None of these steps stopped the disconnect after ~120 minutes of gameplay.

On the router I was running firmware 1.3.1.64, the latest stable firmware. Following advice in a different thread I tried reverting to a previous firmware before the introduction to the Netgear Armor, but had no luck in stopping the 120 minute disconnect. I've seen suggestions to enable the QoS feature or set my gaming PC to a DMZ port, but I don't find it a good idea security-wise to DMZ my main computer, nor reduce my bandwith by enabling the QoS feature.

Upon further inspection, I found I'm not the only one with this issue. I've found a good bit of people using this very router (R7000P) having a disconnect in internet-required games (World of Warcraft, Destiny, Final Fantasy XIV) at the same exact 120 minute interval I do. Had I known this to be an issue before I bought the router, I would have never purchased this. I've linked a pastebin that contains links to people who have the same router, and same exact problem I have too. It can be found at https://pastebin.com/cWRBFWjp .

Is there any fix for this? Am I out of luck and required to buy a new router? Given the track record of firmware updates, I'm honestly not too hopeful right now.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E