Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P - Incorrect Password on 2.4GHz and 5GHz down to 1/10th normal speed

w00x
Tutor

R7000P - Incorrect Password on 2.4GHz and 5GHz down to 1/10th normal speed

So I've been having those two consistent issues with my R7000P router.
I have tried altering all the setting, but at this point I am not sure if I am missing something or just the router/firmware is bad.

My Firmware version is V1.3.1.44_10.1.23.

Issues are:

1. 2.4GHz devices disconnect and when trying to connect receive an "Incorrect password" message.

Rebooting the router fixes this.

2. 5GHz devices' DOWNLOAD speed drops to <10Mbit/s. Normal speed on the 5GHz connected devices is around 80-90Mbit/s. UPLOAD speed is fine when this happens (90-100Mbit)
Rebooting the router fixes this.

Those two have been alternating. The 5GHz speed drop issue happens at least once a week.
The 2.4GHz password issue happens at least once every two weeks.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Having to reboot my expensive router at lest once a week should not be necessary.
I had a cheaper TP-Link router on the same network before and the uptime was easily above 100 days when a reboot was needed for whatever reason.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
w00x
Tutor

As everyone probably suspects, the factory reset of the router did not help with resolving the aforementioned 2.4 GHz and 5GHz issues.

I think I figured what fixes them.

After updating to the latest firmware (V1.3.1.64_10.1.36), the issues persisted.
I contacted Amazon so I can arrange for a return and started searching for a replacement product before sending this one back.
I tried changing something just to test.
I set the 2.4GHz channel from AUTO to 11 (was the best possible according to some WiFi scanners).

I also changed the power adapter from the UPS to the mains directly.
I recorded an uptime ot 19 days without any of the two issues before a power surge rebooted the device.

I then plugged the adapter back to the UPS and the uptime is 8 days so far. No issues whatsoever.

2.4GHz devices are connected and running.

5GHz band does not drop Internet download speed to 6-7 Mbit and sits at the maximum possible.

Unless this is some very weird coincidence and the problems are just not happening for an unusually long periods of time, then the issues are resolved.

So to sum it up. If your 2.4GHz network drops devices (incorrect password) or your 5GHz network lowers download speed randomly, set the channel of your 2.4GHz manually. This seems to have been the solution for me so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

I have always had issues on my previous routers when not setting the channed manually, but figured that this much more expensive router will be able to figure it out on its own. It seems that I was wrong.

Hope this helps someone and saves them the hassle of dealing with this.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You've probably tried this but have you tried an erase and start from factory settings?

Occassionally something gets messed up and this can help. 

Message 2 of 5
w00x
Tutor

I've tried factory resetting last time when I had issues with the router and several times while updating.

I have not changed anything before these problems started happening. I did not think that a reset would help in this case, considering that I have not updated the firmware.

Do you think that a factory reset is worth it?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

A reset isn't going to hurt if nothing else fixes it. If this problem has happened before, you can roll back to an earlier version of you firmware. 

Message 4 of 5
w00x
Tutor

As everyone probably suspects, the factory reset of the router did not help with resolving the aforementioned 2.4 GHz and 5GHz issues.

I think I figured what fixes them.

After updating to the latest firmware (V1.3.1.64_10.1.36), the issues persisted.
I contacted Amazon so I can arrange for a return and started searching for a replacement product before sending this one back.
I tried changing something just to test.
I set the 2.4GHz channel from AUTO to 11 (was the best possible according to some WiFi scanners).

I also changed the power adapter from the UPS to the mains directly.
I recorded an uptime ot 19 days without any of the two issues before a power surge rebooted the device.

I then plugged the adapter back to the UPS and the uptime is 8 days so far. No issues whatsoever.

2.4GHz devices are connected and running.

5GHz band does not drop Internet download speed to 6-7 Mbit and sits at the maximum possible.

Unless this is some very weird coincidence and the problems are just not happening for an unusually long periods of time, then the issues are resolved.

So to sum it up. If your 2.4GHz network drops devices (incorrect password) or your 5GHz network lowers download speed randomly, set the channel of your 2.4GHz manually. This seems to have been the solution for me so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

I have always had issues on my previous routers when not setting the channed manually, but figured that this much more expensive router will be able to figure it out on its own. It seems that I was wrong.

Hope this helps someone and saves them the hassle of dealing with this.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7