• 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000P Intermittent connectivity issues

So I have been having random connectivity drops, which I mostly notice while gaming. I'll get disconnected from a server for a few seconds then it will come back on. Sometimes it doesn't happen much, other times it is disconnecting on and off quite often.

Called my internet provider to check the modem or see if it was on that end. After testing it, and plugging my computer directly into the modem it was shown the modem isn't causing the issue nor my internet provider. So that leaves me with the router. Is there a way for me to fix the random drops of internet I am getting, or is my router dying out on me? I'd hope not it is only a year maybe two years old?

Thanks for the help!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: R7000P Intermittent connectivity issues

What fimrware are you on? Lots of people have been having issues with the latest firmware.

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I find out?

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Apprentice

Not at all.

• Enter http://www.routerlogin.net A login window opens.
  • Enter the router admin user name and password.The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in.The username and password are case-sensitive. The BASIC Home page displays.
  • Select ADVANCED Administration Router Update. The Router Update page displays, and will show the info here.

Copied from here: https://kb.netgear.com/000061067/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-88

Now, if you have the .88 firmware then that is most likely the issue and you'll need to downgrade.

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for showing me how to get there

It shows I am on this update Firmware Version
V1.3.1.64_10.1.36  And that it is on auto update

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Apprentice

OK. 64 and 88 are bad. Netgear is going through some internal phase where they just kind hate on us and ignore requets for better firmware.

You'll need to do what everyone else has and untick auto update, factory reset the router, manually downgrade by following instructions listed here, then factory reset AGAIN, go into firmware and make sure auto update is still unticked, and that should do it.  Quite a pain, but Netgear seems unwilling to do anythign here so we're all stuck on old fimrware or you'll need to install DDRT (opensource firmware for the R7000).

https://kb.netgear.com/000060253/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-42

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Sensei

> OK. 64 and 88 are bad. [...]

Assuming that by "64 and 88" you meant "1.0.9.64" and "1.0.9.88",
then those are firmware versions for an R7000, _not_ for an R7000P.

> [...] V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

_That_ is a firmware version for an R7000P.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your actual model number,
and look for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and
Software Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the
kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file
for instructions.

If you want to load, and keep, an older firmware version, then it
would make sense to disable automatic updates.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have been suffering form the same problem. Has there been a fix that you have tried that has worked? 

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Is there a firmware version out there that will keep the loss of connection from happening? I have the R7000P and I can not even play a game right now without getting disconnected, typically 10-60 second dissconnects. If i plug my Xbox, which my wife and I use for the bulk of our entertainment, into the modem directly we have no problems. Only when the router gets into the mix is there a problem. 

R7000P 

Firmware Version : V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yeah, you're issue is EXACTLY what I have when I game and if I put it in the modem it works fine. So far from what I am seeing it is downgrading, I haven't tried I ended up getting a new router I got a deal on xD

Message 10 of 10