R7000P Internet Degrades Over Time

DLarva
Follower

R7000P Internet Degrades Over Time

I am experiencing an issue where my internet speed gets slower and slower over time.  If I reboot the router then it is back to its full speed, but then sometime in the future it slows down again.  This can happen after a few hour to a few days.

I have tried a hard reset and the issue persists.

I believe I have the latest firmware version:

V1.3.1.44_10.1.23

In looking through this forum it appears to be an issue with several different router models.  I'm just hoping I overlooked something I could try to fix the issue.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 5
myersw
Master

Re: R7000P Internet Degrades Over Time

Welcome to the wonderful world of Netgear crap firmware. If withing return window return and move on. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 5
wenzelja
Star

I'm having the same issue.  After a reboot of the router, I have full speed (~215Mbps), but some hours later, I'm crawling (~30-60 Mbps).  I'm considering a dd-WRT firmware upgrade, but wondering if that will really fix the issue or not.

Message 3 of 5
myersw
Master

@wenzelja wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  After a reboot of the router, I have full speed (~215Mbps), but some hours later, I'm crawling (~30-60 Mbps).  I'm considering a dd-WRT firmware upgrade, but wondering if that will really fix the issue or not.

In my dd-wrt experience it is hard to say if dd-wrt will fix your issue. Unless someone pops in with experience with DD-WRT on the r7000p. This might be a driver issue and they could be using the same drivers which would mean still same problem. Brainslayer supports over 500 routers so he cannot test everyone. 

One BIG thing of note. DD-WRT is usually easy to install, but coming back to OEM if you want may not be as easy. Could even require you to crack open the case and use serial connecting. Just a warning to check out the how to get back before jumping. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 5
HankKrank
Aspirant

I don't own an R7000P but saw similar problems with the old Linksys WRT54 years ago. In some instances, the problem could be traced to the very crappy power supply Linksys used. Over time, the PS output would increase due to the poor quality windings and in turn, the router would overheat, much like an overclocked PC.

Get a voltmeter and check the output of the power supply and see if it's any different than specified. If it's higher than the router needs, that could be the problem.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E