• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000P Nighthawk intermittently dropping connection

Everyday my R7000P router will intermittently drop the connection, making my wife's computer and mine lose connection.  We typically notice this when we are both on video conference calls -- or maybe we just feel the pain more during those times. The router is connected via ethernet straight into the wall port.  We pay for 500MB internet and we typically see wifi-based speeds north of 200MB, with uploads over 100MB.  

Here are some tests ive done and current settings.

* firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

* A computer hardlined in straight from the wall does NOT drop its connection

* I have experimented with turning DQOS on and off - both with the same result

* I have SmartConnect enabled (lets the router direct connections between 2.4 & 5 GHz)

* A guest network is not set up

I really dont know what else to do.  I've scanned for similar threads but haven't found any viable solutions.  Help!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R7000P Nighthawk intermittently dropping connection

What modem are you using? 

Try installing firmware version 1.3.0.20. factory reset afterward and manually re-install (not from backup).  And then disable auto update. 

The newer versions recieved netgear armor and weren't well recieved on all routers that got it 

CAX80->GS716v2->RBR50->RBS50-RBS40V-RBS50Y
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R7000P Nighthawk intermittently dropping connection

@plemans wrote:

What modem are you using? 

Try installing firmware version 1.3.0.20. factory reset afterward and manually re-install (not from backup).  And then disable auto update. 

The newer versions recieved netgear armor and weren't well recieved on all routers that got it 

thanks @plemans .  I'm not using a modem in my apartment.  I live in a building and have an ethernet wall port that can be hardlined into and connect to the internet for my unit.  

I am not sure how to, but I will look into installing the older firmware version.  Just curious, wouldnt this potentially put me at security risk to use an older firmware version, and wouldnt get the benefit of any security patches/updates?

Message 3 of 3