Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P - Slow WiFi - Only getting 54Mbit on 2.4/5GHz

Elrahir
Aspirant

R7000P - Slow WiFi - Only getting 54Mbit on 2.4/5GHz

Hi, 

I´m having a really annoying issue with my R7000P router (FW V1.3.1.44_10.1.23). I´m only getting 54Mbit wireless link speed (PHY) on either the 2.4 or 5GHz. Regardless how close I am. This goes for both my LG G4 phone and for my HP Envy (2018) laptop. I know for sure both can handle much higher wireless speeds (I got 390Mbit on 5GHz at work today on the phone). The strange thing however is that my wifes Samsung Galaxy J5 is getting >300Mbit link speed on the 5GHz. 

This means I´m only getting maximum 30/30 Mbit in speed tests over WiFi. My Internet connection is at least 100/40 Mbit. 

Normally only 2 phones, 1 Chromecast (v.2) and a wireless speaker are connected to the router.

I have disabled QoS, Smart Connect and Traffic meter -> No difference

I have tried disable Beamforming, MU-MIMO and Airtime Fairness -> No difference

I have tried disable 5GHz and only running 2.4GHz -> No difference, still 54 Mbit only

I have disconnected all other wireless clients connected, only having my phone (LG G4) connected -> No difference, only 54mbit

I have restarted router, phone etc -> No difference

I think I´ve gone through most of the possible settings, I´m clueless and annoyed... Unless it´s the FW that is the problem?

Please help 🙂

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
duckware
Prodigy

Re: R7000P - Slow WiFi - Only getting 54Mbit on 2.4/5GHz

manual says here:  ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup > WMM. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
duckware
Prodigy

Verify that "WMM" is ON for both bands.

Message 2 of 5
duckware
Prodigy

manual says here:  ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup > WMM. 

Message 3 of 5
Elrahir
Aspirant

Ohhh wow thanks! That did the trick! I thought that was supposed to be off just like QoS. I belive I've read that somewhere before..
Care to explain what WMM does and why it limits the speed when off?
I read through your excellent webpage today btw, very interesting and useful.
Message 4 of 5
duckware
Prodigy

I don't know the technical reason why.  All I can find over and over is that WMM is required for 'high throughput' speeds.  The tip off that WMM is off is a PHY speed limited to 54 Mbps.

You would think Netgear would add a very simple warning on the WMM web page that turning WMM off limits speeds to 54 Mbps -- and that would make a LOT of common sense (and then that explains why Netgear does not do this).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7