Re: R7000P WIFI Slows After a few hours or a day

mandreas
Aspirant

R7000P WIFI Slows After a few hours or a day

I've been having this issue for a while now and am about to throw thing thing in the garbage.   

Allmost every day, I need to restart the WIFI router because the WIFI speeds will drop way down.  

I've factory reset and many other tests and can't figure this out.  

Doesn anyone have any solutions?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on? the R7000P recieved netgear armor in version 1.3.1.44. It was a quite significant change. Some devices responded well to a factory reset and manual reinstall. others have needed to downgrade to the version before armor to get their performance back. 

What modem are you using? 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 14
mandreas
Aspirant

Hey

I'm on. V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

So now after a day or so, it seems the UPLOAD SPEDS are now coming to a crawl instead of the download. So the situation has reversed somehow?  I dont' know. 

I've now set it up as just a WIFI extender and removed it from my network as it was distrupting everying on these constand reboots. 

About to give up on this piece of crap. 

Message 3 of 14

Just wondering how many devices do you have connected to it.
Network products owned WNDR3300 WN3000RPV3 R7450 Dell R610 server A7000
Message 4 of 14
mandreas
Aspirant

Before, I had 2 wired and then the WIFI was just for my phone and an Apple TV OR any guests that came over with their phones or tablets.  

In short, barely any.

Message 5 of 14

I know in the past before I setup a second network running off the main one, I network slowed down when I was planning or updating GTA 5 so I usually had to quit the game or pause the updates.
Message 6 of 14
mandreas
Aspirant

If it was slow right away, that would make sense but this is fine for a day or so and then dies for no apparent reason. 

Message 7 of 14

Now it seems like your router might be on its way to complete failure. Because if you've been updating the firmware then it's not a software problem it's a hardware one and there's only one fix go out and buy the r7450 that's one I have no random speed problems only two reboots the first because it froze and the second was to make sure everything was working after adjusting the cable from the main router. It's the best one I own I don't even need a range extender to make it work on the second floor and it's in the basement. If you're into streaming and gaming or just one that can handle a lot of devices then this router is for you.
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

@mandreas wrote:

Hey

I'm on. V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

So now after a day or so, it seems the UPLOAD SPEDS are now coming to a crawl instead of the download. So the situation has reversed somehow?  I dont' know. 

I've now set it up as just a WIFI extender and removed it from my network as it was distrupting everying on these constand reboots. 

About to give up on this piece of crap. 

Try the downgrade to the firmware prior to armor. Armor created many issues with a lot of routers. 

Downgrade the firmware over a hardwired connection, factory reset after the downgrade, and do a manual install. 

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

Also, what modem are you using?

If your connection is staying stable but you're speeds are having issues, it can be a modem issue. 

Message 10 of 14
reinisb
Guide

Hey!

I have also started experiencing the same issues in the last month or so with my R7000P. I have a 1000Mbit/s wired connection coming into my apartment and into the R7000P (no modem). As the issue is that wifi slows down and it is barely usable. When I restart the router then it gets back to normal to around 450Mbits on wifi, bet then after some hours will go down to very unstable ~5-25Mbits. I am measuring this in the speedtest app. Meanwhile when I connect to r7000p ethernet is working on full speed, so thepercormance issue only affects wifi. I have factory reset the router, but issue persists. I have two wired devices and two wireless devices (macbook and iphone). This is absolutely crazy, I bought the router a year ago and I cannot believe that it is already a brick. I’m on V1.3.1.64_10.1.36. Any advice?
Message 11 of 14
mandreas
Aspirant

Yeah man - I think I'm done at this point and am looking for a different brand/model to do this simple job. I even had a network guy come in here and take a look at all mystuff and he didn't find anything that would cause this issue. I thought it was solved for a few weeks after and now it just happned again the other day..  So I'm going to sell this piece of garbage and look into a MESH system to extend my WIFI reliably.  I can't believe how useless this unit is and NETGEARS hopeless, paid, support system.  Just a greedy company with **bleep**ty products. 

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

@reinisb wrote:
Hey!

I have also started experiencing the same issues in the last month or so with my R7000P. I have a 1000Mbit/s wired connection coming into my apartment and into the R7000P (no modem). As the issue is that wifi slows down and it is barely usable. When I restart the router then it gets back to normal to around 450Mbits on wifi, bet then after some hours will go down to very unstable ~5-25Mbits. I am measuring this in the speedtest app. Meanwhile when I connect to r7000p ethernet is working on full speed, so thepercormance issue only affects wifi. I have factory reset the router, but issue persists. I have two wired devices and two wireless devices (macbook and iphone). This is absolutely crazy, I bought the router a year ago and I cannot believe that it is already a brick. I’m on V1.3.1.64_10.1.36. Any advice?

Try starting your own thread so you can help you. Its highly recommended beacuse each situation is a bit unique in ISP, modem, device. 

Message 13 of 14
mandreas
Aspirant

My advice is sell it which is what I'm doing. 

I'm ordered a Mesh system today and am hoping that will solve it. 

I'm fed up with this piece of garbage.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E