Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P crashes constantly, in spite of latest firmware, factory resets.

CanadianGuy
Guide

R7000P crashes constantly, in spite of latest firmware, factory resets.

I have an R7000P which constantly crashes/reboots with Netgear Armor installed. I also have an R7000 connected as an AP (which I have since kept off to isolate problems). The R7000P will shut off suddenly and reboot, or lose connectivity (yet all the status lights read fine) and Netgear fails to register these events in the log. I've manually updated to the latest firmware, factory-reset afterwards and problem remains. Our home gateway is running in bridge mode, and if I connect via network cable directly to the gateway (bypassing all Netgear equipment), no internet problems at all. I have an open support-ticket which Netgear is not responding to (though I've posted questions/observations) and none of their suggestions have worked. I'm at the end of my rope with all Netgear products with the amount of interruption their equipment has caused to work-from-home, and am willing to take a loss to purge Netgear equipment for a more reliable solution. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What all do you have connected to the router? 

Is Armor, Circle, or Traffic Meter enabled?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Try enabling IPv6. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 7
CanadianGuy
Guide

Current firmware: V1.3.3.148_10.1.82 on the R7000P. ISP is Rogers using Arris  TG4482 home gateway. Armor is enabled, Circle is disabled (though I have a stand-alone Circle device attached via cable to NG). Traffic meter not enabled. Yes, factory-reset done post-firmware update. IPV6 enabled by default on the gateway (in bridge mode); on NG, IPV6 currently disabled, since last time it was enabled (in auto mode) everything went down. I also used a WiFi analyzer to check my the channels my neighbours were using, and switched my channels on both 2.4 and 5 to avoid conflicts--to no effect. I've even tried swapping out different network cables as well. In order to not disturb mission-critical internet access for family's work, we're using a network cable on one of the pass-through ports on the gateway (completely bypassing Netgear equipment) with seemingly no problems. There is an open-ticket which is no longer being responded to.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@CanadianGuy wrote:

Current firmware: V1.3.3.148_10.1.82 on the R7000P. ISP is Rogers using Arris  TG4482 home gateway. <This is a modem router combo unit. Be fully sure it's fully bridged and not in router/gateway mode.

Armor is enabled, <Disable Armor using the NH app. After the app reports it disabled. Power OFF the router for 30 seconds when back on. (When you get time and nothing mission critical is happening.)

Circle is disabled (though I have a stand-alone Circle device attached via cable to NG). <I would disable this device temporarily as well. Seen Circle features cause problems before. 

Traffic meter not enabled. Yes, factory-reset done post-firmware update. IPV6 enabled by default on the gateway (in bridge mode);

Are you sure that the modem is in bridge mode? IPv6 would not really be enabled on the modem while in bridge mode, rather if the modem was fully bridged, IPv6 services would just pass thru to the R7000P router. 

on NG, IPV6 currently disabled, since last time it was enabled (in auto mode) everything went down. I also used a WiFi analyzer to check my the channels my neighbours were using, and switched my channels on both 2.4 and 5 to avoid conflicts--to no effect. I've even tried swapping out different network cables as well. In order to not disturb mission-critical internet access for family's work, we're using a network cable on one of the pass-through ports on the gateway (completely bypassing Netgear equipment) with seemingly no problems. What CAT# LAN cable are you using between the modem and router? CAT6 UTP is recommended.

There is an open-ticket which is no longer being responded to.

Message 4 of 7
CanadianGuy
Guide

Thanks for responding...I left it for a little while to try a change in the configuration. I had been running an additional R7000 as an AP (in AP mode), but turned it off to isolate about a month ago. I've also tried turning off the Circle 1st Gen, but same probs.

Definitely sure modem is in bridge mode (also clarified by phone with my ISP), and the admin panel on the modem shows IPV6 address range. On the NG UI panel, IPV6 was set to 'disabled', but I set it to 'auto-detect' as opposed to 'auto-config' (which it also had been set to with no luck), and the crashing doesn't seem to have happened in last couple of days. However, I did notice now from the event log on the modem after doing this the following error: 

DHCPv6[13269]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 82 2022/5/26 14:53:52 Critical
DHCPv6[13269]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 82 2022/5/26 14:53:52 Critical
DHCPv6[13269]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 24 2022/5/26 14:53:52 Critical
DHCPv6[13269]: 72001009-DHCPv6 - No Advertise or Reply Received 1 times 2022/5/26 14:53:52 Critical

Option 24/82 errors seem to be linked to IPV6, and occurred after changing the IPV6 config setting on the R7000P. Is there some kind of 'backwards' effect the NG is having on the modem?

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm still using the 'pass-through' RJ45 port on the modem for my wife's work computer (down-time hugely affecting her work) and just relying on her enterprise endpoint protection.

Best,

Chris

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask your ISP on IPv6 configurations. Maybe some ISP have specific IPv6 configurations that are needed rather then letting the NG router try to Auto Config which may not work well. 

Something you can try as well, put the modem back in to router mode. Then leave the NG router in router mode. Use the modems DMZ for the NG router. See if this changes the behavior. Just make sure the modems wifi is fully disabled...

Message 6 of 7
CanadianGuy
Guide

Just an update:  the crashing has since returned. No set interval (was wondering if it might be an expired IP lease). I've tried talking to my ISP support, and they have no idea and/or willingness to walk through IPV6 issues (as far as they're concerned, if there's connectivity at the modem, that's not their problem--which I get; this really is Netgear's responsibility). I can try changing the DMZ settings, but what/where would I find that on my modem's settings, and where do I need to enter that on the NG UI?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7