Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P download speed issues

Regency
Aspirant

R7000P download speed issues

I have 200Mbps service but can't seem to get all devices (computers, phones) to run at speed.  Set router on "enable automatic switching" between 2.4 and 5G but it seems as though it is forcing 2.4Ghz on most devices. What am I doing wrong?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000P download speed issues

@Regency wrote:

@plemans wrote:

1. what firmware are you on?

I checked and it's up to date---up to date isn't always the best. 

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to?

Arris Surfboard SB6190 - rated at 600Mbps

3. What hardwired speeds do you get? (not wireless)

Haven't tried that----I'd try that. 

4. 2.4ghz will not hit 200mbps speeds. You'll be lucky to hit 40-70mbps over 2.4ghz. worse if in a congested area like condos, apartments, etc. 

5. smart connect does tend to default devices to 2.4ghz. In some areas, its better to disable it and force devices to either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on what they do (5ghz devices are higher bandwidth like streamers/gamers/etc, 2.4ghz for lower bandwidth devices)

With Coretelligent's tech help, I set the network adapter cards for laptops to prefer 5Ghz. So, Netgear manager shows the laptops exclusively on 5G now.

What I am tring to avoid is dropouts when I'm on VCs as the router toggles between 2.4 & 5.  This has been extremely frustrating and embarrassing. Will I now run into problems because of fluctuations in the 5G signal?  IDK

VC? video calls?

Why would there be fluctuations in the 5g signal? 

2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference than 5ghz and is much slower. Its why we recommend using 5ghz for higher bandwidth or time sensitive things (video calls)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

4. 2.4ghz will not hit 200mbps speeds. You'll be lucky to hit 40-70mbps over 2.4ghz. worse if in a congested area like condos, apartments, etc. 

5. smart connect does tend to default devices to 2.4ghz. In some areas, its better to disable it and force devices to either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on what they do (5ghz devices are higher bandwidth like streamers/gamers/etc, 2.4ghz for lower bandwidth devices)

Message 2 of 4
Regency
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

I checked and it's up to date

Haven't tried that

With Coretelligent's tech help, I set the network adapter cards for laptops to prefer 5Ghz. So, Netgear manager shows the laptops exclusively on 5G now.

What I am tring to avoid is dropouts when I'm on VCs as the router toggles between 2.4 & 5.  This has been extremely frustrating and embarrassing. Will I now run into problems because of fluctuations in the 5G signal?  IDK

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Regency wrote:

@plemans wrote:

I checked and it's up to date---up to date isn't always the best. 

Haven't tried that----I'd try that. 

VC? video calls?

Why would there be fluctuations in the 5g signal? 

2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference than 5ghz and is much slower. Its why we recommend using 5ghz for higher bandwidth or time sensitive things (video calls)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7